Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
How Is Your Deer Hunting Going This Year? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Big Game Hunting

Old 11-18-2015, 12:08 AM
Wallhanger

Default How Is Your Deer Hunting Going This Year?

I wish that I could say that mine has been going well but that would be less than truthful. Last year was not kind to me and this year seems to be following suit. My confidence is not at a high level though but I'll keep plugging away.
Deer hunting isn't just about the kill....... I have to keep reminding myself! Lol!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2015, 05:12 AM
Keeper

I did allot of sitting last year (2014) and never had a shot on a deer or Turkey.

2015 is a whole different year. Last day of Turkey I tagged a nice mature Tom. Deer season lasted less than 26 hours and all tags filled. In a way I was disappointed as the pleasure of sitting and watching nature was over real fast.
2014 G3 V167T Angler
Yamaha F40LA
MinnKota V2 PD45
Humminbird 581i HD DI Combo
The Esox Lucius

U.S. Army 95B30-Z6 1979-1990
Old 11-18-2015, 05:17 AM
Wallhanger

You had to ask!
Pa archery just closed on Sat. Had one buck @ 10 yds., not enough horn. Later on had another buck @ about 10 yds., not enough horn. Saw another one that also wasn't legal. Then saw a nice legal one, out of range.
Also saw a few doe, out of range. Finally on the last day, a legal buck was @ 20 yds.
In the scope (crossbow), pulled the trigger, and the buck takes off and I can watch it go through the woods for quite aways. Sat about 15 min. and went to check for blood, NOTHING!
Started thinking, did the expanding BH open prematurely and hit the stirrup or maybe cause the arrow to really deflect, I couldn't have missed that deer.
Had to check; went up with a metal detector to see if I could find the arrow, maybe, just maybe would get lucky.
After searching for about 1 1/2 hrs., and trying to visualize the approximate area where this arrow could have gone, I finally found it.
It was sticking in a tree, app. 7' off the ground and app. 58yds. from where I had shot from.
To make matters worse, as I was stepping off the distance I heard a deer snort and saw several deer going through heavier brush below me.
When they got into a more open area, there was a doe in the lead and 4 racked buck trailing her and grunting, looked like a darn deer train going through the woods!
I will be in there with the gun!
You had to ask!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2015, 12:06 PM
Wallhanger

I haven't stepped foot in the woods in 15 years until this pas saturday, decided to go out with a buddy he has some great property to hunt, 3 hours in a buck steps into the cross hairs of the crossbow and I bagged my first deer ever, just a small 8 point but what the heck first deer I wasn't going to pass! So I guess you can say its going well. Going to get back out for a doe eventually still walleye fishing
Old 11-29-2015, 08:55 PM
Keeper

Was great Archery season for me. Got my personal best buck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015Archerybuck.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	182217   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015Archery2.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	182225  
Old 11-30-2015, 07:38 AM
Wallhanger

Good so far. Got this guy at 30 yards following a doe November 9th. We will see how the second half goes with gun season opening Saturday.
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...sa1ynzug1.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2015, 11:47 AM
Wallhanger

Gun season was good to me as well.
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...pscnotclyo.jpg

Old 12-10-2015, 10:44 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportdog View Post
I wish that I could say that mine has been going well but that would be less than truthful. Last year was not kind to me and this year seems to be following suit. My confidence is not at a high level though but I'll keep plugging away.
Deer hunting isn't just about the kill....... I have to keep reminding myself! Lol!!!
Been awful this year in WNY! Yes some doe and young bucks have passed by but no shooters seen during the day, many at night though on the cameras. One nice 10 that we had on the camera was jacked during bow season and we think we know who did it. The DEC is investigating it and we think at least some citations or maybe an arrest is forthcoming. With this warm weather, we will be breaking records this weekend while in the 60's, and plenty of food there is no reason for these deer to move around. The lack of hunter pressure is also contributing. Opening weekend was down 11% VS. last year and overall the season which ends on the 22nd won't be good. I'm also wondering about the coyote pressure? Seeing many of them on cameras at night. Going to try hunting them right after our deer season ends.
Lowrance HDS-12 Live
Lowrance HDS-12 Carbon w/3 in 1
Lowrance Outboard Pilot w/Remote
Lowrance VHF Link-8
TrollMaster Pro 2
Fish Hawk X4
Cisco Tracks, Masts & Rod Holders
Old 11-09-2016, 12:38 PM
Wallhanger

Another good bow season! November 6th - 5:15

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...psqm8hfhav.jpg

Old 11-09-2016, 04:50 PM
Keeper

That dude is a stud. WTG Bowtech! There's gotta be a story to share?