Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Tiller Boat Opinions Please - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 07-19-2012, 05:54 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanM57 View Post
I have driven 19’ wheeled boat (Crestliner) for the past 12 seasons. I am starting to seriously look at new tiller boats. My reason for a tiller is pretty straight forward - I am getting older, 90% of the time I am fishing alone and I think there is a benefit to being able to stay put in the boat and not moving around too much. I have settled on either a Lund Pro Guide or a Crestliner Pro Tiller. I had originally thought I needed an 18 foot boat but I am now thinking maybe the 17 would be better (easier to handle by myself). I would appreciate opinions on the pros and cons of both boats and also 18’ vs 17’.

Thanks. Dan M
I had the 2008 1725 with 75 Yamaha. Now I have a 2009 1825 with 90 Yamaha. The 1725 was great but that extra foot in the 1825 is well worth it. I also have the Titan steering system and I think its worth its weight in gold. I have had "0" problems with either boat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2012, 06:52 AM
Minnow

I've been looking at tiller boats and doing a lot of research over the past few months. Been looking to get out of my bass boat since I moved north and started doing more walleye fishing. I've spent quite a bit of time fishing out of my buddy's 16 ft. Lund Rebel tiller, including a recent trip to Northern Ontario where 3 of us spent a week fishing out of that boat. Anyway, my research narrowed it down to the two boats you mention. If money was no object, which it is, I would be hard pressed to decide between the two. There are a lot of nice tiller boats out there but as far as I'm concerned these two boats have it all. It would probably come down to price and availability for me. Also, which dealer is closer and which dealer is best to deal with when I need service.

As for 17' vs. 18' that has a lot to do with what kind of water you plan to fish. If you plan to fish mostly big water, go with the 18. If you plan to spend a lot of time on smaller lakes with lots of shallow water you might be better off with a 17. A lot of lakes in Canada, for example, are only accessible by narrow logging roads and the ramps are not the best. A 17 would be a little easier to trailer, launch and load on lakes like that while still being big enough to handle big water.

As for me, I didn't buy either one. I found a great deal on a used Starcraft Superfisherman 170. He made me an offer I couldn't refuse so I did get out of the bass boat but I'm still driving with a steering wheel.

Good luck on your purchase though. I expect you'll be pleased with your new boat whichever one you decide to buy.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:31 AM
Minnow

1. Ranger 618
2. Yarcraft 1785BT
3. New Backtroller

Fiberglass all the way!
Old 07-19-2012, 12:06 PM
Wallhanger

I opted for an Alumacraft Competitor 185 Tiller with a 90 E-Tec. It's a great fishing platform with a ton of room. I've got a bunk trailer and load and unload by myself every time....even when fishing with someone else.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:45 PM
Wallhanger

I'm cheap.........and broke.

I would convert the boat I had to a tiller boat. Especially if the everything else about the boat was OK w/me.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:09 PM
Slot Fish

Well, this is a very personal fishing style question.

I must confess that I am a tiller fan because it opens up huge real estate in the boat. I fish walleye and muskie and like to have an open space in which to fish. That ruled out anything other than a tiller for me. The cons of a tiller are that you can put less horsepower on the transom and you WILL get wetter driving in weather, doesn't matter who makes the boat. The pros are that you have more area to fish and put your gear and buddies without the counsel getting in the way. This is of course my opinion. The wheel guys will no doubt rebut.

I have owned Alumacraft and Monark. Both tillers. My biggest compliment for my Monark was when I was fishing in Ontario, Canada with an Indian guide who said 30 sentences over 8 hours. The one comment he made driving my boat was simply "Hmmmm...better than a Lund" Nothing else out of him for the next 20 minutes. Now with that in mind I am picking up my new Lund Pro Guide with a 90 HP Yamaha this week. So I am biased.

I looked at all of my options and went to look at a decked out similar boat from a contact I made. I fell in love. I think it is better than an Alumacraft similar configuration. The Lund is more expensive so the Alumacraft product is great competitor. I got a great deal on the Lund Pro Guide 1825 so my decision was easy. I had a nearly 17ft Monark King 160 tiller that was great. I did not like how it handled on big water so went bigger. I considered the Pro Guide 1725 with a 75HP but determined that the cost difference was not significant enough to not go with the bigger boat.

So, like anything, there are lemons. I wouldn't discredit one company because of a handful of bad reports. Yes, Crestliner and Lund are now owned by Brunswick, but my bank is now owned by a Canadian bank. Nothing changed for me other than the logo and who I send my checks to.

Short answer is: how do you fish? where do you fish (big water with weather and waves or small lakes with small landings)? how fast do you want to go?, how many guys in the boat?, what layout suits you best? what are your biases toward companies colors and experiences as they pertain to what boat or motor company you buy from?, and how much do you want to spend? What does your wife say?

Bottom line...If you love a product you can search out the web and find lots of people to support your decision, if you hate a product you can likewise find guys who will also hate it with you.

Decide what your parameters are then find the boats that fit your needs. After you have culled the herd and identified a couple then compare specifics and work your best deal. You are the one living with and fishing on the boat you buy. Don't overspend...but don't underspend. Get what you need.

My two cents.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:09 PM
Tbob

Default Tillers

Quote:
Originally Posted by nels24022000 View Post
1. Ranger 618
2. Yarcraft 1785BT
3. New Backtroller

Fiberglass all the way!
Not for me, did a 618t and a warrior, 1825 Pro Guide is a better fishing machine in my opinion.