Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Round Up and other pesticides possible carcinogens - Page 11 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Bone Orchard > WC Bone Yard

Old 03-23-2015, 02:38 PM
Keeper

[QUOTE=Custom Eyes;3682458]Yep, but you don't spray your food down with them! At least most people. lol[/QUOTE]

That roundup ready, BT sweet corn sure is good. Although if you add some buctril herbicide to the tank mix it will make the corn even sweeter. :howdy:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2015, 03:24 PM
Wallhanger

Good Lord Custom Eyes...don't be so fast to criticize. Your remarks aren't exactly correct about the definition of pesticides.
This definition of pesticide is from the American Heritage Science Dictionary. The definition isn't just my opinion based upon my background in organic chemistry, biochemistry and biology.

[B]pesticide [/B]
[URL="http://static.sfdict.com/dictstatic/dictionary/audio/ahsd/P/P0023100.mp3"][/URL]
(pěs'tĭ-sīd') [URL="http://content.dictionary.com/help/dictionary/ahsd/pronkey.html"][/URL]
A chemical used to kill harmful animals or plants. Pesticides are used especially in agriculture and around areas where humans live. Some are harmful to humans, either from direct contact or as residue on food, or are harmful to the environment because of their high toxicity, such as DDT (which is now banned in many countries). Pesticides include fungicides, herbicides, insecticides, and rodenticides.

Based upon this definition alone, chlorox and other everyday household cleaners could certainly be classified as pesticides.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

[QUOTE=KPKyllo;3682922]Good Lord Custom Eyes...don't be so fast to criticize. Your remarks aren't exactly correct about the definition of pesticides.
This definition of pesticide is from the American Heritage Science Dictionary. The definition isn't just my opinion based upon my background in organic chemistry, biochemistry and biology.

[B]pesticide [/B]
[URL="http://static.sfdict.com/dictstatic/dictionary/audio/ahsd/P/P0023100.mp3"][/URL]
(pěs'tĭ-sīd') [URL="http://content.dictionary.com/help/dictionary/ahsd/pronkey.html"][/URL]
A chemical used to kill harmful animals or plants. Pesticides are used especially in agriculture and around areas where humans live. Some are harmful to humans, either from direct contact or as residue on food, or are harmful to the environment because of their high toxicity, such as DDT (which is now banned in many countries). Pesticides include fungicides, herbicides, insecticides, and rodenticides.

Based upon this definition alone, chlorox and other everyday household cleaners could certainly be classified as pesticides.[/QUOTE]

Yep, fingers went faster than the brain responding to his "gotcha" comment. :stick:

Classification is based off intended use, not what someone may use it as, which is why one of the first statements on any precautionary label is that it you should not use it for any other purposes, some times it's actually against the law. I'd love for him to take a picture of these bleach and cleaner labels he claims says they are pesticides!

Last edited by Custom Eyes; 03-23-2015 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:03 PM
minn guest

Default Banvel

They are going to release Dicamba resistant soybeans next year, that will ruffle up some more feathers. lol funny you never here much in these discussions about the liberty link resistant corn/soybeans.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:06 PM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=eriksat1;3682698]I don't know how others clean there counters where they prepare food but we use a dish rag and dish soap from the sink when we wash dishes, works for us. What are we supposed to use a steam cleaner?[/QUOTE]nope roundup cuz it's good for ya
Old 03-23-2015, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

[QUOTE=minn guest;3683074]They are going to release Dicamba resistant soybeans next year, that will ruffle up some more feathers. lol[B] funny you never here much in these discussions about the liberty link resistant corn/soybeans[/B].[/QUOTE]

Aren't those GMO's???? :huh:
Old 03-23-2015, 06:26 PM
Keeper

Default round up

try this the next time you are at the picnic table and the flies are bothering you spray them with simple green you will be happy with the results.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:44 PM
Keeper

Sorry, I can'teven find a herbicide label that has pesticide on it. They are labeled herbicides.

The degree is in agronomy with soils science and plant science degrees. I also set on the state pesticide advisory board where we wrote rules and regs for pesticide use and safety. Didn't mean to getya, just trying to point out that we live with pesticides of some form every day. :cheers:
Old 03-23-2015, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

[QUOTE=waterwalker;3683714]Sorry, I can'teven find a herbicide label that has pesticide on it. They are labeled herbicides.

The degree is in agronomy with soils science and plant science degrees. I also set on the state pesticide advisory board where we wrote rules and regs for pesticide use and safety. Didn't mean to getya, just trying to point out that we live with pesticides of some form every day. :cheers:[/QUOTE]

Well, that was my point. They are broken down by classification in tiers. Biocides to pesticides, fungicides, herbicides, etc. I'm just a lowly regulatory and R/D guy in a $1B company researching and reading 1000's of pages of legislation from around the globe every year. Figured someone with your stature, actually making those regs I read and research to determine classification in order to author SDS's from, would be more versed and experienced in the subject. My apologies. :huh:

And BTW, it's BIOCIDES we live with of some form every day if you want to be accurate in what you were trying to get at. Heck, I pee on a plant, it dies. My pee is a biocide, pesticide, and an herbicide all in one in your world. lol :duel:

Last edited by Custom Eyes; 03-23-2015 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

Default Question for Custom Eyes

[QUOTE=Custom Eyes;3681394]No, not saying break back out with the horses. lol Drop the chemicals and go back to tilling and mechanical weed control. It's worked since humans first cultivated crops and still does.[/QUOTE]

Found this comment very interesting. I am late to this party, but have to ask, why did producers (aka ag welfare recipients) stop tilling and start using more chemicals? Did tillage alone keep your fields clean and increase your yields? Thanks in advance for your explanation.