Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Buying a Ranger 619FS - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 01-13-2017, 07:48 PM
Keeper

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingfrenzy View Post
A vote against the kicker.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Agreed. If I started fishing bigger lakes then I think it would be the thing to get. Have gotten by with just a trolling motor so far.

Last edited by MissouriAngler; 01-13-2017 at 07:49 PM. Reason: bad spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2017, 10:25 AM
Minnow

How big of water and how far out are you going would be consideration for Kicker. Or if you are fishing lakes rivers etc. with lots of rocks, odds are not in your favor.

Only had to use my Kicker once when Big Motor failed and that was a slow but easy 8 miles back in to shore.

Additions on new boat? lots of interior LED lights. can never have enough lights under lids in compartments for those late evenings fishing, loading the boat at night, early mornings etc. my next boat will be lit up like a Christmas tree when I need it. Handy as ****...
Old 01-14-2017, 01:35 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss621Ranger View Post
How big of water and how far out are you going would be consideration for Kicker. Or if you are fishing lakes rivers etc. with lots of rocks, odds are not in your favor.

Only had to use my Kicker once when Big Motor failed and that was a slow but easy 8 miles back in to shore.

Additions on new boat? lots of interior LED lights. can never have enough lights under lids in compartments for those late evenings fishing, loading the boat at night, early mornings etc. my next boat will be lit up like a Christmas tree when I need it. Handy as ****...
I've owned 2 bass boats prior to this and fished the same waters I will be fishing in with the new boat. Never had a kicker on either of them, not sure you can even put a kicker on a bass boat.

Lakes in Missouri and Arkansas are just dammed up rivers so not very wide and you usually put in near where you are fishing so distance shouldn't be an issue. Could either get back with the trolling motor or ask someone to tow me back (always someone around).

Now if I was going to be a regular at a real lake such as Erie then I would have to reconsider.

Do like having lots of interior lights not sure I am into Xmas trees though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2017, 05:06 PM
Wallhanger

Wow so you ask advice and a kicker is recommended and you say no need.

I guess if you are a fair weather fisherman thats ok.

There was a long string on the Michigan Sportsman page started by a guy whom had no kicker fishing the DR during the spring run. His main went out and he was PO'd because no one offered to tow him in and forced him to ride back on his TM which took him over an hour when it was only a 15 minute tow job for someone. He expected someone to give up 30 minutes to save him 45 minutes. Wow how selfish .

Ok so you take all the info from Juls a Great Pro whom shares freely. You get a 6 miles off shore in Erie and your main goes out. In June sunny day and at 2 mph on your TM that will add 3hrs in the burning sun to your trip assuming best of conditions. Do not want to even think of the worst of conditions.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:28 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishManDan View Post
Wow so you ask advice and a kicker is recommended and you say no need.

I guess if you are a fair weather fisherman thats ok.

There was a long string on the Michigan Sportsman page started by a guy whom had no kicker fishing the DR during the spring run. His main went out and he was PO'd because no one offered to tow him in and forced him to ride back on his TM which took him over an hour when it was only a 15 minute tow job for someone. He expected someone to give up 30 minutes to save him 45 minutes. Wow how selfish .

Ok so you take all the info from Juls a Great Pro whom shares freely. You get a 6 miles off shore in Erie and your main goes out. In June sunny day and at 2 mph on your TM that will add 3hrs in the burning sun to your trip assuming best of conditions. Do not want to even think of the worst of conditions.
I apologize if I wasn't clear but I actually never asked advice about needing a kicker. If you read my original post I said "Don't think I need a kicker at this point as I have gotten by using my trolling motor for my bottom bouncing so far." Thought I was being clear on that point.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for trouble. It's just that 99.9999% of the time I will be fishing the same lakes that I have always fished. Not sure I can justify the cost, weight, maintenance expense of a kicker for that .0001% of the time. Now, if I was going to make regular trips to a big lake like Erie, I would absolutely want a kicker. Even if I were to go on a big lake only once a year, I would get a kicker but so far that is not in the plans.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:05 PM
Wallhanger

MissouriAngler
I respect your opinion on the kicker and the fact did not ask opinions for on kickers. Offering you food for thought....
Im trolling muskies on St Clair with two friends. Species is actually irrelevant. Boards off both sides. Fish on! Friend #1 gets the rod and begins battling a nice fish. I clear some gear and grab the net and wait. Friend #2 tasked with taking the helm and keeping the boat pointed due north. Fish comes to the stern, netted without incident. Or so I thought. I lean over the gunnel and reach into and work on removing the bait from the fish while still in the net/water. I quickly find the fish is deeply hooked and immediately opt to just cut the hooks. Meanwhile, my helmsman, unbeknownst to me, opted to go digging for his camera with the boat still in gear neglecting his one and only appointed duty, keep the boat on 0 degree heading. As I'm deep into the net cutting hooks, I happened to look up and realize we'd spun 180 degrees and the remaining planer boards are now all on the wrong side of the boat. We'd turned way too sharply due to the waves and the phantom helmsman. I knew $#it was about to hit the fan. As I lunged for the throttle to put it into neutral, I see two board come bouncing straight towards the side of the boat. Turns out as we spun around, the lines crossed under the boat and made it into the prop and started winding up around the prop shaft. I was not about to try hanging over my stern, removing castle nuts, cotter pins props etc in building seas. Nothing horrible but the task would still have been risky. I cut all tangled lines leaving tags ends accessible. Trimmed up the main motor. Fired up the kicker and made a b-line to port. Actually caught 1 more on our way in but made it safely. The bow mount would not have gotten us in for sure. Yes I had marine radio aboard but didnt need it. Once on shore, on a safe and stable parking lot, I removed prop to find that none of it had made its way under the seal. I GOT LUCKY!!!! Had I not had a kicker, that line almost assuredly would have worked its way under the seal creating a very costly yet avoidable headache. Could happen while fishing any species. You're already mentioning going to Erie..... be safe out there. the idea of a retirement boat is to get a ton of days of safe boating out of it. And you already seem committed to "all the bells and whistles" why stop short? Fish with Juls and she can show you how she deploys the bow mount and the kicker simultaneously to efficiently troll under some crappy conditions among other things. It'll be money well spent and she knows her equipment including Rangers inside and out. Not to mention she's great to fish with. You wont regret it.

Last edited by Karloutdoors; 01-14-2017 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:16 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriAngler View Post
Hi, new poster.
Preparing to purchase a new Ranger 619 FS. This will be my retirement boat so it’s going to have most of the bells and whistles.
Here’s what I am adding:
Yamaha 225 Offshore
2 Humminbird Helix 12 megas
Minn kota Ulterra 36 volt
Minn kota 4 bank precision charger
Factory bimini top
Factory cover
Tandem axle
Extended rear deck

Those who have bought a 600 series FS (or similar boat), is there anything you wished you had added? Is there anything you did add but later regretted? Don't think I need a kicker at this point as I have gotten by using my trolling motor for my bottom bouncing so far.

Next thing, on average how much should I expect the dealer to discount on the boat? Not expecting an exact figure but a ball park number.

I searched on line and found promotions from Ranger, Yamaha, Humminbird, and Minn kota. I am not going to mention them to the dealer until after we settled on the price. Want to see if they will use the Ranger and Yamaha promo to bring the price down. Would rather settle on a price then use the promo’s to reduce the cost.
What about front or rear rails, snap-in carpet, trailer steps, etc? Check your private messages.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:38 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty(ND) View Post
What about front or rear rails, snap-in carpet, trailer steps, etc? Check your private messages.
IM sent.

It comes with rear rails, I could add fronts but don't see a reason at this point. Do you have front rails and how do you use them?
Like not having carpet in the main section so I won't add snap-in. Ranger makes a big deal out of this new surface. Figure if I don't like it I can add carpet later.
Yes to the trailer step. Have it on my current boat and it comes in handy when your launching.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:46 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloutdoors View Post
MissouriAngler
I respect your opinion on the kicker and the fact did not ask opinions for on kickers. Offering you food for thought....
Im trolling muskies on St Clair with two friends. Species is actually irrelevant. Boards off both sides. Fish on! Friend #1 gets the rod and begins battling a nice fish. I clear some gear and grab the net and wait. Friend #2 tasked with taking the helm and keeping the boat pointed due north. Fish comes to the stern, netted without incident. Or so I thought. I lean over the gunnel and reach into and work on removing the bait from the fish while still in the net/water. I quickly find the fish is deeply hooked and immediately opt to just cut the hooks. Meanwhile, my helmsman, unbeknownst to me, opted to go digging for his camera with the boat still in gear neglecting his one and only appointed duty, keep the boat on 0 degree heading. As I'm deep into the net cutting hooks, I happened to look up and realize we'd spun 180 degrees and the remaining planer boards are now all on the wrong side of the boat. We'd turned way too sharply due to the waves and the phantom helmsman. I knew $#it was about to hit the fan. As I lunged for the throttle to put it into neutral, I see two board come bouncing straight towards the side of the boat. Turns out as we spun around, the lines crossed under the boat and made it into the prop and started winding up around the prop shaft. I was not about to try hanging over my stern, removing castle nuts, cotter pins props etc in building seas. Nothing horrible but the task would still have been risky. I cut all tangled lines leaving tags ends accessible. Trimmed up the main motor. Fired up the kicker and made a b-line to port. Actually caught 1 more on our way in but made it safely. The bow mount would not have gotten us in for sure. Yes I had marine radio aboard but didnt need it. Once on shore, on a safe and stable parking lot, I removed prop to find that none of it had made its way under the seal. I GOT LUCKY!!!! Had I not had a kicker, that line almost assuredly would have worked its way under the seal creating a very costly yet avoidable headache. Could happen while fishing any species. You're already mentioning going to Erie..... be safe out there. the idea of a retirement boat is to get a ton of days of safe boating out of it. And you already seem committed to "all the bells and whistles" why stop short? Fish with Juls and she can show you how she deploys the bow mount and the kicker simultaneously to efficiently troll under some crappy conditions among other things. It'll be money well spent and she knows her equipment including Rangers inside and out. Not to mention she's great to fish with. You wont regret it.
Thank you, food for thought. Since I haven't ordered the boat yet, I'll consider it. How do you know what size kicker to get? Is it connected to the steering or tiller?
Old 01-15-2017, 08:15 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriAngler View Post
IM sent.

It comes with rear rails, I could add fronts but don't see a reason at this point. Do you have front rails and how do you use them?
Like not having carpet in the main section so I won't add snap-in. Ranger makes a big deal out of this new surface. Figure if I don't like it I can add carpet later.
Yes to the trailer step. Have it on my current boat and it comes in handy when your launching.
I have front rails on my boat. I have rod holder bases attached to them. And I use them for foot rests and they are handy for tying bumpers, etc.. to.
Also on my last boat they served as guards to keep rods from getting caught in the front cleats.
15 hp Suzuki tiller kicker with Itroll
101 lb Terrova I-pilot link
Humminbird Helix 10 mega si and 2 898s
Talon 12'
Lowrance HDS 5 gen2, used mostly for engine monitoring.

Free advice, and worth every penny.