Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Going Glass?? - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 10-17-2014, 08:31 PM
Keeper

Very well said Johnny. I am one of the few who made the switch from glass to aluminum. After running tree different yarcrafts (16ft tiller, 1785 tiller, 1785DC) I bought an 1800 pro v SE dual console a this spring. Let me say I love the open layout and how low the sides are on the Lund. This thing is flat out awesome to fish from. The down sides are as follows: does not track as well as the yars did, the ride is not even close to that of the yars, you need rain gear often. I do have to say that the ride on the Lund is as good as that of my buddy's 1825 Skeeter, but I have never been in a boat as fast and as dry as his. Basically my point is find the boat that fits YOUR needs and go from there. Every model has it's positives and negatives, but find the one that compromizes the best for your style of fishing and go for it. Have fun in your search.

Last edited by winchester jack; 10-17-2014 at 08:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2014, 08:23 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgoose99 View Post
Thanks. I was hoping someone would say fiberglass is horrible, you get a scatch and the boat sinks. Now I guess I will continue to consider trading up. Might be the most expensive thread I have read.
Long ago I had an older Forester Tri-hull that had been abused by the previous owner, including being dropped off the trailer onto a concrete ramp and winched back onto the trailer, and even though it was never repaired when I sold it at 20 years old it was still structurally sound and did not leak.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

A couple things you'll notice if you fish when it's rough, the side-roll of aluminum vs glass is more pronounced. when you are sideways to the waves, that is. The wider aluminum boats are better about this but fish in a 2075 for a while and then jump in a 620, you'll see what I mean.

Another longevity issue that would bother me when buying a premium aluminum model, why is there any wood at all in a $70,000 boat? Transom, floor... the glass boats don't have any wood. I see a huge 300 Verado hanging off the back of those and all I can think about is that weight supported by plywood...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2014, 02:18 PM
Slot Fish

I had spent my youth fishing in an 18ft Tyee. It was all I knew. I'll never forget the first time I rode in a glass Warrior. It was an older model, probably 2000 or so. I remember looking at the water conditions in front of us exiting the boat ramp; probably 4 footers. My buddy opened the throttle and I braced myself for the usual beating. I was absolutely in awe how smooth and dry that ride was, so much, I bought my own Warrior. He has a Ranger 621 now, and says the Warrior is the smoothest boat he's been in, and the Ranger is a close 2nd. They both are like night and day compared to an aluminum boat. Enjoy!
Old 10-21-2014, 04:35 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuckdeer5x5 View Post
I have owned 2 Lund Tyees in my lifetime and now looking at upgrading again. Have been eyeing a Warrior. I have ridden in glass boats before and like the ride. I fish the Missouri River and some Lakes too.

Anyone out there that has switched with any advice? Was it worth it? Pros and Cons?

Thanks.
The glass boats in general ride better, but not all glass boats ride or handle the same. First thing a great hull design doesn't need 200-350 HP moderate HP 150 will push a 20ft glass boat around 50 MPH. I consider many things balance is very important my friend has a nice Ranger that I fish on its about the same size as my boat but handles & tracks very different. The ranger has more HP than my boat & a larger trolling thrust 80 vs 55 I found it very difficult to control the boat it has poor balance the same holds true for many other glass & especially aluminum boats that I have been on. Why anyone would put a kicker motor on is beyond me I take my boat over 20 miles into the Gulf of Mexico, backwaters, Flats & Fresh water lakes a kicker would only mess up the balance. Placement of batteries is important, fuel tank etc. The hull bottom effects the overall ride some send spray away from the boat many pound & drown. High sides don't equal great ride a common misconception. Test ride the boats that interest you or hire a guide that has a boat you like to learn more about it.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:15 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin R View Post
First thing a great hull design doesn't need 200-350 HP moderate HP 150 will push a 20ft glass boat around 50 MPH.
Can you provide a couple of examples of 20 ft glass boats that are big water capable that will do 50 MPH with 2 guys, a full tank of fuel, and a tournament load with a 150 on them?

If that boat exists, then I need to take a real close look at it.

Waxy
Old 10-22-2014, 07:58 AM
Slot Fish

Waxy is most correct. You do NOT want to underpower a glass boat. It's not about going as fast as you can. If you put a 150hp on my Warrior 193, I can assure you it wouldn't even get it up on plane. It takes a lot of power to get a deep V heavy glass boat on plane. Also, if you underpower a boat, you are going to burn more fuel than you would if you upped your hp. Remember the Ford pickups with 302 engines, a very small V8? Those things had to work so much harder than a 351, they burned more fuel, same concept.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:15 AM
Wallhanger

Kevin is referring to salt water boats with saltwater hulls. Not sure exactly how they differ from our Deep V walleye boats up here but he is right. They very frequently under power their big bay boats and off shore boats down there on purpose and are very happy with the performance and handling.

Last time we were in Florida we were in a 26' bay boat with a 250 Yammi 4 stroke on the back and a 23' bay boat with a 150 Yammi 4 stroke on the back. I don't know the speed. Didn't pay attention. But most guys don't run WOT down there. They run at peak fuel efficiency. We had 5 people in both boats and they got on plane easily and ran nicely.

But our Deep V walleye boats up here, I wouldn't under power them. In my experience.

Last edited by Wade B AKA: Ruger2506; 10-22-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:36 AM
Wallhanger

Default glass boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin R View Post
The glass boats in general ride better, but not all glass boats ride or handle the same. First thing a great hull design doesn't need 200-350 HP moderate HP 150 will push a 20ft glass boat around 50 MPH. I consider many things balance is very important my friend has a nice Ranger that I fish on its about the same size as my boat but handles & tracks very different. The ranger has more HP than my boat & a larger trolling thrust 80 vs 55 I found it very difficult to control the boat it has poor balance the same holds true for many other glass & especially aluminum boats that I have been on. Why anyone would put a kicker motor on is beyond me I take my boat over 20 miles into the Gulf of Mexico, backwaters, Flats & Fresh water lakes a kicker would only mess up the balance. Placement of batteries is important, fuel tank etc. The hull bottom effects the overall ride some send spray away from the boat many pound & drown. High sides don't equal great ride a common misconception. Test ride the boats that interest you or hire a guide that has a boat you like to learn more about it.
Ok I cant take it any longer.Maybe if you have a modifided v or a bass boat you could hit 50 deep v no way in **** .My 19 foot with a 175 will hit 50 with all the stars aligned.We like truth full comments on this site so cut the crap!!!
Old 10-22-2014, 10:23 AM
Wallhanger

The ranger has more HP than my boat & a larger trolling thrust 80 vs 55 I found it very difficult to control the boat it has poor balance the same holds true for many other glass & especially aluminum boats that I have been on. Why anyone would put a kicker motor on is beyond me I take my boat over 20 miles into the Gulf of Mexico, backwaters, Flats & Fresh water lakes a kicker would only mess up the balance

Based on these comments have you ever been in a flagship Ranger, Lund etc?

These boat are most definitely stable and kickers are a must IMO for safety and for trolling. I can stand on the corner of my Ranger and it hardly moves, aluminum boats with steep deadrises I will agree they aren't as stable but Rangers surely are.

I believe you are not too familiar with "walleye boats" much as your comments are way off base.