Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Ranger 617vs price - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 02-04-2015, 05:25 PM
Slot Fish

What makes them desirable?
1.) They are the 1st generation of the angler/reata layout, open and large cockpit, easy seating for 4. Able to handle large bodies of water and still drift in shallow.
2.) They are fisherman series. Over built boats! Foam all the way through, giving you a true one piece feel.
3.) Their size is perfect for most garages, new boats are awesome but huge!
4.) Because they were ahead of their time with design, and the guys chose bigger boats for walleye(overlooked for multi species) they didn't sell tons of them, so they sell for the same if not higher than they did 5-6 years ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2015, 09:59 AM
Hat trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northtwin View Post
Its a dc. No rails and no deck extension. If I got it for 12 and then put another 3 into it rigging I'm at 15k for a 1999 boat. Ole tdubber, I see other wtb adds for 617's. What makes them so desirable?
Mostly size and price.

What do you like so much about it? You can get a pretty nice 690/692 for $15k. A lot more boat IMO. Don't get me wrong, I do love a 617.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:16 AM
Keeper

Default 617

I like the center rod storage and the layout in the helm. The interior sides are flat giving it more room. No hitting your knees when you turn your seat sideways. It also is the perfect size for me. I fish some smaller lakes in northern WI and the landings can be tough
Old 02-05-2015, 12:33 PM
Minnow

I've got a 2001 617 with a 150 optimax on the back. It's the side counsel version. This is a really interesting thread, especially because I've toyed with the idea of selling my boat a few times the past couple of years. I even listed it for a little while last fall. The thing that I keep coming back to is exactly what others have pointed out in this thread- the boat fits perfectly in my garage, is laid out well, and fishes and handles like a bigger boat. Mine definitely has some wear and tear on it, but it is also a 14 year old boat. I've got relatively new humminbirds (997 and 788) plus an 80 terrova with ipilot. You just can't find many boats for sub $20K that have all of those features, and every time I think it might be time for an upgrade, I come back to the fact that I love many features of my boat, and I can live with the features that I wish were different.

Last edited by WallyGator12000; 02-05-2015 at 01:51 PM.