Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Ranger pedestal seat screws coming lose? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 08-10-2010, 01:44 PM
Minnow

I have a Ranger 621 thats not even 2 weeks old and I already had to replace both screws on both seats. It's technically not a Ranger problem but a Springfield problem. I am going to try and put some 3M marine sealant 5200 on them to try and help them stay in place. Julia Davis has recommended the "Springfield Mainstay" seat posts to replace the ones that come on Ranger boats and they definitely seem more durable. I'm sure Ranger and/or Springfield will take care of any issues you have. I know the good people at VICS SPORTS CENTER In Ohio where I bought my boat from were more than happy to take care of any problems worth contacting them about so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2010, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

Lundfisher,
Take the bases out of your boat.
Remove the screws that hold the lock on the inside of your base.
Drill and tap out the screw hole to 1/4 X 20 bolt.

Insert a stainless steel counter sunk bolt in place of the screw. Use a countersink in the side of the base to slightly enlarge the hole in the side of the base to accomodate the larger bolt.

Insert the bolt and tighten it as necessary to hold the block in place. As you are inserting the bolt - go from the bottom of the base and use a needle nose pliar to hold a nylon locked 1/4 X 20 stainless nut on the bolt.
Tighten as needed. The nylon lock in the nut will keep the nut from coming loose and that will keep the bolt from backing out of the hole and coming loose.

Replace the bolts, using blue loctite to hold any machine bolts in place on the floor, or use 3m sealant to hold any screws in place.

You will have no further issues with the base.

REW
Old 08-10-2010, 07:05 PM
Keeper

Location: On the "Back Fourty"; just 1/2 mile outside Poe-Dunk, Iowa; turn west at Coot's on Deer Lick Trace.
Default Its the Springfield bases.......

Its the Springfield bases.......not a Ranger issue.

Had my new Alumacraft TS 195 for a month now and we are on the third set of Springfield bases. And no I'm not "hard" on my boat either.

I have the exact same bases and problem; tried the Loctite and it doesn't hold.

The base design is faulty. If you take a good look at it the screws go into a "plastic" key about an inch and a half long that keeps the seat from swivelling when its locked in the forward position. The screw/key combination is not heavy enough too withstand the load........The screws work loose or pull/strip and then break or fall out.

I've tried tightening, re-tightening, Loctite, etc, etc, all have failed.

I'll give my dealer credit for replacing them under warranty but the boat manufacturer (Alumacraft for me) should step up to the plate and replace them with a different brand/style. My dealer suggests that if he (and other dealers) have enough warranty replacements the manufacturer will eventually correct the problem.

Failing the manufacturer replacing them with a different base, I think my next solution is going to be to mill a new (and much longer) plastic key out of either bronze or aluminum key stock and tap & drill the holes for a small stainless bolt; maybe try a little Loctite on them. Fortunately I have a farm shop and equipment to do it !

If the "Farmer Fix" doesn't work I'll be buying new bases and you can bet they WON"T be Springfield brand, no matter what the style.

I find it frustrating on a $40K + boat that I need to hastle with the seats...

W.W. in Iowa

PS to REW, a 1/4 bolt is too big; the key the screws go through is only 1/4 inch wide.....I don't think you can use a bolt at all as the pedistal doesn't allow a nut on the inside; hence the use of a screw to start with.

But I'm probably going to have to tear it all out and find out !!!!!!!
Old 08-11-2010, 03:49 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoleksiak View Post
I have a Ranger 621 thats not even 2 weeks old and I already had to replace both screws on both seats. It's technically not a Ranger problem but a Springfield problem. I am going to try and put some 3M marine sealant 5200 on them to try and help them stay in place. Julia Davis has recommended the "Springfield Mainstay" seat posts to replace the ones that come on Ranger boats and they definitely seem more durable. I'm sure Ranger and/or Springfield will take care of any issues you have. I know the good people at VICS SPORTS CENTER In Ohio where I bought my boat from were more than happy to take care of any problems worth contacting them about so far.
PM sent

Cheers,
Rangerfisher
Old 08-02-2011, 11:57 AM
Minnow

I have a 2010 621vs Ranger with the identical issue as well on the pedastal seat. Does seam to be a very poor design. Have tried lock tight but the screws fell out. And of course the passenger side is going too. Called Cabelas, where I bought the boat.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:39 PM
Wallhanger

Can you insert an 8 x 32 flat head, or two of them if there is room, (countersink the head) from the keyway side and then install a Nylok on the outside? This is what I did on a Shock Master pedestal and it solved the problems I was having with them.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:50 PM
Wallhanger

Keep bothering Ranger about this. Maybe then they will stop using that pedestal all together. Again, not their fault. That or they will have to keep sending out screws or replacing pedestals. They should have some good leverage against Springfield Marine in pushing for a fix to this. The must have changed something, my screws are still there, but they are rather old.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
I have a 2010 621vs Ranger with the identical issue as well on the pedastal seat. Does seam to be a very poor design. Have tried lock tight but the screws fell out. And of course the passenger side is going too. Called Cabelas, where I bought the boat.
Red Loctite worked for me last year, after one of mine came loose.

Prior to 2010, the screws in question were a larger diameter and typically didn't have problems coming loose.

Springfield has changed and improved the design this year, and there shouldn't be any problems going forward.

Jim Carroll NPAA #13