Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Starcraft Question - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 09-29-2008, 05:01 PM
Minnow

Default Starcraft Question

I have a 1994 Starcraft Walleye 180 SC with a 115 Mariner on it, I am getting 40 MPH at WOT. Is this about what the boat is capable of with the motor? Trying to Remember I think I bought a 19 pitch aluminum prop a couple of years ago since the one that came on the boat was trash. Just wondering. Thanks all who answer.

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2008, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

I am not sure about your speed,
but I have a 2000 starcraft super fisherman 190 with a 115 mercury and get 40 mph on the gps at 5200 rpm's

Rebs
Old 09-30-2008, 05:55 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmad2 View Post
I have a 1994 Starcraft Walleye 180 SC with a 115 Mariner on it, I am getting 40 MPH at WOT. Is this about what the boat is capable of with the motor? Trying to Remember I think I bought a 19 pitch aluminum prop a couple of years ago since the one that came on the boat was trash. Just wondering. Thanks all who answer.

Brian

What is the max hp that the boat is rated for? I looked at the Starcraft website and couldn't find any specs on similar boats.

But I bet that on nearly any deep vee that is 18 feet long, 40 is max speed for a 115 hp engine. My Lund 18 footer is maxed out at 150 and under PERFECT conditions I get 51 mph but under normal conditions I max out at 49 mph.

If you look at the post started by "Mexico" called "The Official What Are Your Numbers" you will see responses with an 18 foot and a 19 foot boat with a 115 on them and their top speed is about 40 mph.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2008, 01:49 PM
Minnow

Thanks for the info Rebs and 2LABS, it is rated for 150hp, don't wanna spend the extra cash for a bigger motor just wondered if a different prop would get more speed

Thanks again
Brian
Old 09-30-2008, 02:01 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Thanks for the info Rebs and 2LABS, it is rated for 150hp, don't wanna spend the extra cash for a bigger motor just wondered if a different prop would get more speed

Thanks again
Brian

Brian, you are pursuing the same issue that I had with my prior boat. It was a 16 footer rated for 75 hp and I maxed it out at 75. The boat did 42 mph -- which is what the factory told me it would and what subsequent motor manufacturers test results showed on their websites.

I asked on this site how to get more speed. The replies stated that a stainless steel prop might get me 1 or 2 mph more, but that is it. And, they told me the only way to increase speed substantially was to apply more hp (not an option in my case as the boat was maxed out already). I have learned a LOT about boats since then, and they were right.

One poster even told me "learn from my mistakes ... here is everything I tried and all it got me was 2 mph" ... and he listed all the things he had done and money he had spent. That guy saved me a whole bunch of time, effort, and money -- and I am grateful to him to this day. He is why I bought my current 18 footer and maxed it out with 150 hp.

Don't bother. Save your money and time.

Just FYI.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:44 PM
Wallhanger

A friend of mine had a 19 fishmaster with a 115 mariner 2 stroke with a full load, 3/4 gas and 3 batteries he only got about 36-38 out of his boat at WOT.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:20 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Labs View Post
Brian, you are pursuing the same issue that I had with my prior boat. It was a 16 footer rated for 75 hp and I maxed it out at 75. The boat did 42 mph -- which is what the factory told me it would and what subsequent motor manufacturers test results showed on their websites.

I asked on this site how to get more speed. The replies stated that a stainless steel prop might get me 1 or 2 mph more, but that is it. And, they told me the only way to increase speed substantially was to apply more hp (not an option in my case as the boat was maxed out already). I have learned a LOT about boats since then, and they were right.

One poster even told me "learn from my mistakes ... here is everything I tried and all it got me was 2 mph" ... and he listed all the things he had done and money he had spent. That guy saved me a whole bunch of time, effort, and money -- and I am grateful to him to this day. He is why I bought my current 18 footer and maxed it out with 150 hp.

Don't bother. Save your money and time.

Just FYI.
Thanks and that's really why I was asking, $300 for 2 mph more, might as well just stick to the aluminum prop and can just get another for a spare. Usually on the river we just head out at night to do some whipping, and I am hoping I can get out this weekend just into Lake Huron from the river and cross some eyes there. Want to get somemore jigging in before it gets too cold and the ice starts forming on the line.

Thanks Again
Brian
Old 09-30-2008, 06:33 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Thanks and that's really why I was asking, $300 for 2 mph more, might as well just stick to the aluminum prop and can just get another for a spare.
Thanks Again
Brian

No problem. Glad to help you, just as people have helped me for the past 8 years on this site. Sticking with what you have now is a smart move on your part seeing as you don't travel great distances to get to your fishing spots.