Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Real good Reel advice...Okuma Convector vs Daiwa Accudepth Plus - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 01-21-2015, 04:22 AM
Keeper

Default Real good Reel advice...Okuma Convector vs Daiwa Accudepth Plus

Looking at getting 6 Reels to use on my rods which are Gander Mountain Guide Series Classic Planer Board 8ft Medium power Fast action for pulling planer boards. Looking to keep it reasonable quality Shimano makes a nice reel but not in my budget. Fishing Winnebago mostly but I'm 30 mins from Green Bay so as my kids get older will be fishing both for Walleye of course. ;-) My best estimate is I fish around 25 times a year or so.

Size. Was thinking of a size 27 in the Accudepth Plus (ADP) or 20 in the Convector any reason to go smaller? Plan on running mono 10-12 lb line, but not apposed to using braid if the drag and leader can keep from pulling the hooks out (Haven't trolled with braid yet).

Bearings. From the specs I see the Convector is heavier then the ADP and the Convector has one more main bearing and a roller bearing (assuming that is the +1 on bearings). But... Does this translate into a better overall reel?

Line counters.... As long as no line slippage how are they on these units

Drags. Factory drag ok? Great reel but swap drag out with?

Cosmetics. ;-) Either one stay looking better after being put in floor storage and bouncing around? Parts for fixing either company easier to get parts for them is something goes wrong or happends?

Thanks,

Steve-o
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2015, 06:30 PM
Wallhanger

HB 1199 CI HD Si (Helm)
Helix 10 GPS (Dash)
Evinrude 15HO Kicker (Tiller)

Old 01-21-2015, 07:48 PM
Romo

Diawa. I have thrown my Convectors in the trash. I am not sure why some people like them, but to each their own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2015, 07:15 AM
Wallhanger

I have the daiwa sg17lca and the daiwa accudepth plus lc17 reels and I slso have a few of the okuma convector 20's. when I go fishing I use the daiwa reels for trolling divers. I put the accudepth on the right side and the sg reels on the left side of the boat. I had trouble with both so I sent the ones I was having trouble with into tunasreeltroubles.com. I found a great buy on a set of convectors so I bought them. then tuna toms got my daiwas fixed. the only thing he found wrong was the new braided line was slipping on the spool arbors. so he put little pins in the arbors to tie the line to. charged me a few bucks and shipped them back to me and told me I could just use a mono backing on my other reels. so that's what I did. I had a big spool of 17# ande line so I just put 150' of backing on my reels and haven't had a problem since. and I still pur 300' of braid on over the backing.

I did try some of the convectors but I liked my diawa 17's the best. I use the convectors when I run my outriggers and for spare reels so I haven't tested them like the daiwa reels. I also use the okuma reels in my small boat for trolling our local lake. they seem to be good reels but for erie i'll stick with my daiwa 17 reels. I do like the sealine sg17 reels the best. they have upgraded both the sealines and the accudepth reels. the old sealines have been changed to 17lc3 reels and the new accudepth plus is now the the adp17lcb.

I really like the smaller reels but I put power handles on my daiwa reels and the okuma 20 reels came with a choice of paddle handle or the power handle. if you decide to go with the small daiwa reels you can just contact tunasreeltroubles.com to get a good deal on the power handles.

I started fishing with the big magda reels and I didn't really like them. then my daughter n law and grandkids started fishing with me and my reels was just to big for there hands. so I started looking on ebay for the 17 size reels. I bought new or like new anywhere from 54.00 to 65.00. then the little paddle handles was not working that great. so I just contacted tuna toms in Michigan. and they gave me a good price to change all my reels to power handles.

oh yea cabelas has there own version on the daiwa sealine reels. its called the sealine 17lc5 and has 5 ball bearings. they are just about the same price as the regular sealine 17lc3b. if I had to replace my reels it would be the lc5 reels I would use for the left side of my boat and the diawa adp17lc3 reels on the right side.

I don't really know if the daiwa reels are that much better than the convectors or not. but I like both the daiwa reels better. any one of the 3 should make you a good reel. or if your budget will allow just get the shimano tekota 300 reels
Old 01-22-2015, 08:53 AM
Minnow

I think the convectors are awesome. I've been using them for about 3 years and haven't had any issues. I think the accudepths are about the same quality as the magdas. The convectors also come with a really nice power handle, along with the double paddle. The sealines are really nice too, just a bit more spendy. I have 8 convector 20s and use for both pulling planers trolling 16" baits for muskies.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:39 PM
Wallhanger

Save a few more bucks and get the sealines. I have some that are 20 years old and still going strong.

If you have to buy now and it only between the adp and convector, adp 100%.

I've owned 12 different convectors. NONE were worth a darn after a couple years. One pair of cv-45 were trash from the factory, missing drag washers. Okumas only solution was to ship me the missing parts to put them in myself. Not acceptable with 2 brand new reels. Last money they ever saw from me.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:28 PM
Keeper

I bought 6 convectors 3 years ago for pulling inline boards on Erie. I had 2 pile up within a year and a half of use. I got rid of the other 4, ended up buying tekotas. Wish I didn't waste the money on the convectors and went right with the tekotas from the start.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:32 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papascott View Post
Save a few more bucks and get the sealines. I have some that are 20 years old and still going strong.

If you have to buy now and it only between the adp and convector, adp 100%.

I've owned 12 different convectors. NONE were worth a darn after a couple years. One pair of cv-45 were trash from the factory, missing drag washers. Okumas only solution was to ship me the missing parts to put them in myself. Not acceptable with 2 brand new reels. Last money they ever saw from me.
just my opinion if you can come up with the money buy the new sealines you will have reels that will last for many yrs. I've had mine for a few yrs now and they work like new. if you have to make the choice between convectors and the accudepth plus I wouldn't even think twice about getting the accudepth plus reels. I have run my adp17 reels right beside the sealines and haven't had any mechanical problems at all. but I do like the feel of the sealines just a little better.

the 17 size sealines and the sealine 17lc5 are priced at 109.95 or something like that. but if your in no hurry just keep checking at cabelas. I have seen them as low as 69.00 on sale. good luck

Last edited by last chance; 01-22-2015 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:48 AM
Keeper

Size of 17 enough for most fishing on the bay of Green Bay trolling? Plenty for Winnebago I'm sure.

Wow on sale price of Sealines is very reasonable...Was this a closeout of old ones? I've heard the new ADP are basically the old Sealines but not sure on that.

Looks like Sealines retail $ are the same price for both sizes I was thinking.... Any reason to use the 17 over the 20's.

Thanks for the posts,

Steven
Old 01-23-2015, 10:00 AM
Keeper

Interesting... On the sealines...
The LC5 and B are the same reel except the LC5 has one bearing in each of the handle knobs. From what I am reading.. Both the same price that I am normally seeing. You would think they would just have the LC5 and save the shelf space.

Tags
counter , drag , line , reel , trolling