Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lac Seul - Evergreen summary report - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 07-23-2006, 12:06 AM
Keeper

Default Lac Seul - Evergreen summary report

Just back from a great week at Evergreen (first time on Lac Seul), and as promised, here is our summary on a variety of topics:

Biting flies - Bounce was useless, but White Mountain was fabulous. I'm buying stock Monday - wonderful stuff. Skeets were not a factor.

Evergreen Lodge - Just as fine as everyone said it would be. Great cabins and grounds, super fish cleaning house, and Gary, Patty, and dock hand Lori were super helpful and just great to get to know.

100 walleye days - True. As newbies, I doubted we'd experience this, but I was wrong. Every day but the first we hit that number (and that day the three of us got about 80 total). Our best day was Wednesday - 100 walleyes in the boat by noon (we started fishing at 8 am), and well over 150 for the day.

Techniques and depths - We're jiggers at heart, and the islands and reefs around and south of Steamboat Narrows were perfect for that. The surprising thing was that we couldn't key in on a certain depth for the day - we'd be catching walleyes at 20 feet off one island, and a mile away on a reef we'd be getting them at 11 feet. They seemed to relate far more to where the weed line was on each structure than a particular depth.

Wind - this was obviously the key. Fishing the windy side of points, reefs and islands was essential. The only challenge was that it would shift, often several times each day.

Size - biggest fish of the week was 26 inches, we each got 25 inchers, and we usually averaged about 10 fish in or over the slot each day. We were told the farther south we went, away from the cluster of lodges to the north, the bigger the fish would get, but we were having too much fun catching fish to boat that far.

All in all, a great time - wish the week had never ended!! Good luck to everyone who's still going this summer.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2006, 09:09 AM
Keeper

Default RE: Lac Seul - Evergreen summary report

P.S. I forgot Gulp vs. minnows - this varied with the conditions. Early in the week with steady winds, the Gulp (chartruese 3" minnow grub) matched the minnows fish for fish. Other colors/sizes were not as productive. Later in the week, when the conditions were changing frequently, the Gulp did not do as well.

Dave
Old 07-23-2006, 09:24 AM
Wishing Fishing

what is this white mountain stuff?

sounds like i need some. heading up next week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2006, 10:18 AM
Keeper

Check out http://www.whitemountaininsectrepellent.com. It doesn't have any deet, and smells like citronella. Good luck!