Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Crossover vs Super Hawk (SuperHawk) - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 01-30-2013, 07:21 PM
Wallhanger

Default Crossover vs Super Hawk (SuperHawk)

I am getting close to pulling the trigger on one of the 18 foot models of these. I am leaning towards the Super Hawk, but both have pros and cons.

Obviously since I am looking at these two models, I am looking for a fish-ski. One of the reasons I like the Super Hawk is for the bow conversion with the full bow pads and the padded bow sides. It's more comfortable than the Crossover. I also like the aft bench option which seems really useful to have the bench when cruising or watersports but then fold down to create an even larger rear casting deck. I also like the thinner gunnels than the Crossover. Fishing-wise, I've always liked the dual rear pedestal mounts. When bobber fishing, it's so much better to have everyone elevated on a deck. I like that it costs a few grand less. It really seems to me to be the best overall aluminum fish-ski out there with the way it can easily transform to the activities of that day.

I like the standard seats in the Crossover better. I like the sun top storage. The overall fit and finish seems to be a bit higher quality than the Crestliner. The Crestliner is not bad by any stretch, but the materials feel higher quality in the Lund. Which is probably by their intention to keep Lund their premium brand. Lastly, the Crossover will hold a better resale value down the road. Not that I will plan to get rid of it anytime soon.

So owners of either, if I could get your opinions, that would be great. I don't run in huge waters that often so being pounded by huge rollers is not that big of a concern. I know Crestliner has a reputation of being a wet ride, but is that in older boats only? Also, any comments on the 17 ft vs 18 ft? I don't want to have upgradeitis so I'm leaning towards the 18 ft, but if people think the 17 ft seems fine, I'm open to considering it as it would save some cash.

I'm really curious to hear more about both because there is so little out there with the Crossover being so new and the Super Hawk is just not mentioned much on forums.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 07:28 PM
Wallhanger

Default what is cross over?

SH has lots of pros only few better rigs out there mass produced. Put mine up FS but peeps do not want to pay fundage. SH is great rig there are others I would rather own bring your pocket book and bigger garage though. Couple riveted I like, hard to beat all welded.
Get LUND pro v with glass windshield looks sick! How much are they today? Last I checked $55k, resale is all about price as well I would sleep better at night with $25k boat. Size of boat does not mean anything Starweld calls there 1800 but is 17.5ft.

Last edited by beeman; 01-30-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:50 AM
Keeper

I have an 05 Crestliner Serenity 1700 which is esentually the same boat as the Super Hawk and could not be any happier with it. I have the HP maxed with a 140 Johnson 4S which gives it great hole shot and a top speed of 44 mph. The conversion from fishing to family cruising is why I bought this boat. It is very versatile and has served me and my families needs very well. Pro's = great bench seat that converts to a huge casting deck with 2 seat bases, front casting deck quickly converts to a padded seating area which the kids love, tons of storage with port side rod holders, excellent fit and finish with quality materials that have stood up real well over the past 7 years. Con's =really wish Crestliner designed a folding bimini top that allowed it to be stored better. I find this to be a pain to bring along on those days where you may/may not get rain. Not sure if Crestliner has addressed this issue on the newer models. That is the only thing I would change and as I have said I love the versatility of this boat and would definitely buy another.
Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 05:51 AM
Wallhanger

Was just looking thru the 2013 Crestliner catalog last nite. The SH is completely redesigned this year. I like the lines of the boat. My first thought given the new even higher free board is that it's really more of a family boat than a fishing boat, but that's just me and I mostly fish inland lakes. I also found the new transom design intriguing. It's supposed to allow for increased cabin space and better engine performance. One thing I found quite comical in the new catalog was a close up of a basic cooler tucked into a space and held in place with a bungy cord. I mean, it's nice that they throw in a cooler, but it would seem like that's not really a feature that warrant a picture in the catalog. All this said, the new SH should do very well, nice looking boat, lots of nice features, and the Crestliner brand.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:23 AM
Wallhanger

I'll give a vote to the Lund Crossover.
MinnKota Terrova 80 w/iPilot Link
Humminbird Helix 10 G2N, 998HD Si, 959HD

Towed with: 2015 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Laramie CrewCab 6'4" Rambox 4x4.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:47 AM
Wallhanger

Lund 1875 Crossover, Better hull design, Drier hull design, better materials, Higher resale value, Remember Crestliners are made at the Lund plant, They didnt move Lund to Little Falls to be built at Crestliner.....Just a thought.....Both Awesome Boats.....Either way you win, More importantly which Motors?
Old 01-31-2013, 01:19 PM
Dfw

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleheader View Post
Was just looking thru the 2013 Crestliner catalog last nite. The SH is completely redesigned this year. I like the lines of the boat. My first thought given the new even higher free board is that it's really more of a family boat than a fishing boat, but that's just me and I mostly fish inland lakes. I also found the new transom design intriguing. It's supposed to allow for increased cabin space and better engine performance. One thing I found quite comical in the new catalog was a close up of a basic cooler tucked into a space and held in place with a bungy cord. I mean, it's nice that they throw in a cooler, but it would seem like that's not really a feature that warrant a picture in the catalog. All this said, the new SH should do very well, nice looking boat, lots of nice features, and the Crestliner brand.
I can,t compare the two but I can speak to the Crestliner. I have the Sportfish 1750 which is identical to the serenity. I also have the Johnsuki 140.

Get the factory Bimini which stores on the floor with the cover under the rear deck overhang. Perfect!

Bow conversion is excellent but I hardly use it in the seat position. I thought I would use it more.

I went with the 17 vs 18. Cost was not a factor. I do a lot of long range trailering and smaller is better.

I rave about the basic rear deck. Seems best in the class. Room for two standing or seated.

Think through the folding rear deck extender. I think it is a bad idea. Ruins the rear deck when up. You have to remove the rear pedestal seats to put it down. Lots of hassle and no need because the deck is so good without it.

I have no regrets.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:42 AM
Minnow

Default Re: SuperHawk

The SuperHawk looks pretty nice. I'm a Crossover owner but can't draw any comparisons as I've never been in a SuperHawk. Does the Crestliner lineup have a built-in boarding ladder option?
Old 02-01-2013, 08:53 AM
Slot Fish

when I was shopping(used) I really liked the SH and Serenity lines. Seems like they are often way under powered on the used market though.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:04 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenswake View Post
I am getting close to pulling the trigger on one of the 18 foot models of these. I am leaning towards the Super Hawk, but both have pros and cons. ......
Just remember that the SuperHawk model that came out this year is quite a different boat.