Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Suggestions Needed for a Trophy 22-Footer Trailer - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 10-11-2016, 01:40 AM
Minnow

Default Suggestions Needed for a Trophy 22-Footer Trailer

I've been fishing for a long-time but i've never actually owned my own boat. I've always gone on fishing trips with either my father and brother in law or my two uncles. They have two boats between them so i've just tagged along and used their gear when we've been around the Great Lakes. Me and my younger brother have now got our sites on getting our own boat so that we can do our own expeditions, we can then go at a pace that suits us more. We've found a 22-foot Trophy for sale but the guy who's selling it wants to keep the trailer so if we buy it, we need a trailer first. I don't know all the boat specs as my brothers got all the main details but it weighs about 5,000lb's & has twin 125 hp motors on-board. As I'm not too familiar with how you load boats on and off the trailers, or what kind of trailer is best suited to this kind of boat, I'm after a bit of sound advice. As we will be forking out a lot of money that we don't really have in order to buy the boat itself, we are going to be very tight on a budget for the trailer. I can't really say what we'll have spare to play about with so was hoping to hear rough estimates on potential cost from some of the members on here and we can then see what money we can raise. Ideas on the best place to buy a trailer for cheap would be good. Recently I've been using a site called http://www.easyprices.com as they sell all kinds of new goods at cheaper prices but unfortunately I couldn't find what I was looking for this time. Still, its a good site for most other things. So anyway, thanks in advance for the advice, sorry, I'm a bit of a novice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trophy.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	230601  

Last edited by firstroll; 10-17-2016 at 11:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2016, 05:48 AM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

A boat that size get a slip and hire people to do things.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:05 AM
Keeper

You may be able to find a used trailer, but make sure you check it out real good. Definitely not to big to trailer around, unless you want to only fish one port. I like to fish everywhere, so I would trailer it all over , if it were me. Check with some Marinas that handle that sized boats and they may be able to hook you up with a trailer.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2016, 05:18 AM
Wallhanger

Go on this site and look around or call them..........GREAT trailers with Dexter Hubs.........you will not regret one of these if you intend to trailer the boat......if you just want to fish out of one port then contact a marina to store it for you and no trailer is needed.

http://www.trailmastertrailers.com/
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 10-13-2016, 10:17 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Winds View Post
Go on this site and look around or call them..........GREAT trailers with Dexter Hubs.........you will not regret one of these if you intend to trailer the boat......if you just want to fish out of one port then contact a marina to store it for you and no trailer is needed.

I have a trailmaster under my 22' lund. Have to say it has been a great trailer. Very solid.

Marty
Old 10-17-2016, 01:40 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Winds View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty59 View Post
I have a trailmaster under my 22' lund. Have to say it has been a great trailer. Very solid.

Marty

OK thanks everyone, I think I need to go and do some visits at the local spots then and find out exactly what the restrictions are etc with that size boat and like has been said, maybe I might get lucky and find a trailer that way too. I will take a look at the trailmaster mentioned by Marty59 & Bobby Winds in the meantime.

Last edited by firstroll; 10-17-2016 at 11:51 PM.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:59 AM
Wallhanger

When buying our Sea Hunt Escape 220, a 22' salt water fishing boat, we got a Wesco aluminum trailer that was wonderful. Loved that trailer and would have one again if I had an option. You might take a look at their web site to see what they have. The one we got worked great for our 22' boat that we trailered whenever we went fishing.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

Remember, if you are going to tow that boat, you are going to need a tow rig that can tow 10,000 lbs and carry a tongue weight of about 600 lbs.

This normally requires at least a 3/4 ton truck or preferably a one ton truck.

http://www.ford.com/trucks/superduty...ations/towing/

Unless you really want to fish a lot of different areas, it might be best to keep the boat in a slip and then have it hauled out by the marina and stored each off season and put back in the water in the spring. Your choice.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/bpo/5804485751.html

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/5796691148.html

Tags
boat , fishing , trailer , trophy , walleye