Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Sylvan Boats - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 03-08-2012, 09:24 PM
Keeper

Default Sylvan Boats

Anyone have any input on these? I have the opportunity to buy a 2000 Sylvan 1900 Excursion aluminum hull with a 150 Merc 2 stroke year 2000 for $13k. The motor has 174 hours on it.

Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 10:13 PM
Charter Member

Lots of folks use these boats for years with great success.
As with any boat, do your homework and make sure it is sound before purchase.

Take care
REW
Old 03-09-2012, 01:35 AM
dean3

Default sylvan

Just traded one off a few days ago.

Had it for 12 years,
Excellent family fishing boat , fast hull ,and with my optimax, got great gas mileage, if i kept the rpm at 3500.
2 30gallon livewells each with a bait bucket
It was also well built,

Any other questions, just ask.
Dean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2012, 03:47 AM
Wallhanger

Everything I`ve seen looking at Sylvan looks nice to my eyes.
If I found a nice deal on one that was in good shape I`d buy it.

I`ve seen some old sylvan boats that held up well where I live.
My uncle has one, 16 ft walkthru 60 hp Johnson. mid 1980`s boat looks nice.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Default Sylvan Boats

I just sold a 1996 Sylvan Select 16' with an old Magnum 40 Mariner on it. The boat was a good old rig with a livewell, 3 seats, enough storage, and a 54# Motorguide bow mount that worked well on that boat. The motor was a different story I had many "magical" moments with that motor and some of the terrible language I used on that motor is still floating in the atmosphere in 3 states and Ontario.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:10 AM
Keeper

My dad has a 2000 Sylvan. Likes the boat so much that last year when the motor went bad on it, he just bought a new Mercury for it instead of trading the boat off.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:16 AM
Wallhanger

I had a 1994 19' Pro Select (I think that was the name), with a 150hp Black Max, fished all over for 9 years, inland, Great Lakes, many trips to Lac Seul. Never had a problem with the boat, couple little issues with the engine, but minor (volt packs). Guy I sold it to is still using it. Fast boat in reasonable waves, had to slow down if it got too choppy, but a great platform to fish out of, rigging/jigging, trolling, or anchored. I moved to more of a big water boat is the only reason I sold it, had at least 3 people waiting to buy. Look it over, mine had a wood transom, no issue if it has been well cared for.

Last edited by orchard frank; 03-09-2012 at 10:16 AM. Reason: add year
Old 03-09-2012, 04:42 PM
Keeper

I hear mostly good stuff, but my dads experience, not so good. He had lots of problems including a nice crack on the bottom under the transom too MANY leaking rivets. The boat is a 1998 model and these problems started just a few years in. Never, ever, again in his eyes. Maybe he got a lemon?
Old 03-09-2012, 05:24 PM
Minnow

I own a 1990 Sylvan Pro Fisherman with a 100 hp merc. I'm in love with the boat. I didn't want to buy a boat that old but this one was in real good shape. Poor girl spent a lot of time in the shed. I just put on a 80# terrova w/i-pilot and new electronics. I have fished out of it for 4 seasons now with no complaints. It doesn't look like Sylvan has changed it's hull design mutch over the years. Mine does OK in waves, nothing like the big boys, but I have never been scared in it. Previous owner had to replace the transom but other than that I can't think of anything I have had to do to the boat other than motor work.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:46 PM
Slot Fish

I ran a 17 ft Pro Select for 13 years with no problems. My fishing buddy has it now. Good boats.