Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
My Carlisle tire nightmare - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 09-10-2011, 01:34 PM
Wallhanger

My tandem axle boat trailer has four Carlisle radial trailer tires. Three are new this Spring, and the fourth was new late last fall. I have towed my boat about 2,000 miles this season on the highway. I have not experienced any problems with the Carlisle tires. I recently gave them a close visual inspection. All the tires appear normal and the tread wear is appropriate to their highway mileage.

I have towed a boat trailer on the highway in the past ten years approximately 70,000 miles. I have not had any tire blow out or tire failure on the highway. I have used a variety of different tires and brands. I offer this data point in the discussion in order that readers may not get a false impression about Carlisle radial trailer tires and their road durability.

Last edited by jhebert; 09-10-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2011, 10:51 PM
Charter Member

Exactly why I simply buy auto or truck tires that have the correct load rating with a 100mph speed rating.

REW
Old 09-11-2011, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Exactly why I simply buy auto or truck tires that have the correct load rating with a 100mph speed rating.

REW
My tire guy told me the same thing. Don't waste your money on trailer tires, just use proper auto tires instead.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuppy View Post
My tire guy told me the same thing. Don't waste your money on trailer tires, just use proper auto tires instead.
OK, I'll play along. My trailer tire is a 205/75R14, load range C. So, find me a auto or light truck tire, with at least a 1750# weight rating, 100mph speed rating, that fit 14" x 6" wheels. Most of the 14" "car" tires in that size range give up at least 200 lbs/tire in weight capacity. My rig weighs in at nearly 2900# axle weight, so I can't undersize the weight rating, nor am I willing to change wheels and fenders just to use 15" tires.
HRG
Old 09-11-2011, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

Good point in your case might be difficult or costly. My old rig was way lighter than yours and my current rig has dual axels and has less per axel weight so he was right in my case.

Last edited by mudpuppy; 09-11-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:45 AM
Wallhanger

Default I used those cheap white wall auto tires on boat

Found they smashed sidewalls. Never again rather take my chances with bias ply or trailer radials
Old 10-03-2011, 08:54 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post

I got a new tire in Grand Rapids (Acheson's are good people).
Yes they are...ABSOLUTELY.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:11 PM
Minnow

Auto dealers and Tire places are using Nitrogen in tires to maintain constant pressure. Regular air (in tires) pressure changes with outside temperature nitrogen is not supposed to change.

Anyone thought of using nitrogen in trailer tires?
Old 10-03-2011, 09:40 PM
Wallhanger

Default nitrogen in tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankysgang View Post
Auto dealers and Tire places are using Nitrogen in tires to maintain constant pressure. Regular air (in tires) pressure changes with outside temperature nitrogen is not supposed to change.

Anyone thought of using nitrogen in trailer tires?
78% of the air we breathe is nitrogen does adding another 22% more to our tires really matter? If you need to add air to your tire how far will you drive to find nitrogen or will you just add just plain air? Splitting hairs with the nitrogen filled tires, better off spending the money on bait or beer.