Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
After 40 years changing boat strategy - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 03-11-2015, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

Default After 40 years changing boat strategy

Having owned a 14' Starcraft, 14' Lund, 16' Lund pro angler, 16' Nisswa Guide, 680T Ranger, Skeeter 135T, and 2 620T Rangers, all tillers I decided to move to a new Ranger 620FS with the new G2, 250hp Etec. It was a long and difficult struggle as this I have been fishing out of tillers for 40 years now. Last opener I made a terrible mistake and hit another boat with mine. Luckily I glanced off the motor so no one was hurt but it really shook me up. I got the boat fixed just like new and as there was nothing but cosmetic damage yet as the summer went on I could not get the fact that my fishing partners blocked my view and I let it happen. I like tillers as they are great for back trolling, everything is right there, and I never had motors too large to prevent forward trolling. On the other hand I'd admit that I am spooked and have not felt very comfortable since.

I have never really fished much from a wheel boat and although my back trolling is limited these days I did order a kicker for it. The walk thru windshield will be nice as I have started fishing different waters since the Mille Lacs decline. Leech, Oahe, Lac Suel, I'm thinking I will enjoy the new, more comfortable riding experience. Forward trolling should be the same, I just have to get used to holding the rod out the right side of the boat as opposed to the left. My dealer claims that the new hull configuration eliminates the need for Wave Wackers, we'll see. I also ordered the Motorguide PinPoint GPS as I have become fond of the anchor function on my old Terrova I-pilot however it will talk to my Lorwance units and the dealer claims it's more responsive. Running a 115 4 stroke for 14 years, I would average about 4.5 MPG and comparable test reports claim the new G@ Etec 250 at optimum cruising speed of around 40 will come close to that. This is a huge change for me but at 60 years old, maybe it's time to take it a little more easy. I guess time will tell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2015, 07:26 PM
Wallhanger

I traded my 618 tiller on a Skeeter MX 1825 DC/WT, for similar reasons. Mainly that it is difficult to look forward and keep an eye on depth finders and charts at the same time.
15 hp Suzuki tiller kicker with Itroll
101 lb Terrova I-pilot link
Humminbird Helix 10 mega si and 2 898s
Talon 12'
Lowrance HDS 5 gen2, used mostly for engine monitoring.

Free advice, and worth every penny.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

Having owned both, it's steering wheel time from now on.
I like tillers for some reasons like, quicker steering and hands on control.
But with a steering wheel at the helm I can stand up and see over the bow. Also with a windshield it keeps me out of the wind and cold.
Enjoy.
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2015, 01:33 AM
Wallhanger

Glad nobody was hurt during your accident. I bought a used boat, my first, this last summer. I did not look at tillers because I was worried about how safe I would feel with my son (3) in the boat.

Its good you are getting something you are more comfortable in. This is supposed to be fun.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:00 AM
Wallhanger

Smile

There is nothing wrong with owning 2 boats. LOL
Have a great day.
JIM
Old 03-12-2015, 05:08 AM
Charter Member

Good luck with the wheel boat. Just don't get carried away with multiple console-mounted finders, sometimes I wonder if these guys have trouble seeing where they're going!

HRG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dual finders.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	136882  

Last edited by Hot Runr Guy; 03-12-2015 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:31 AM
Minnow

A couple of trips ago, I almost hit another boat. I also have a tiller and the guys in front were blocking my view. To this day, I have no idea why one of them didn't tell me I was heading right for the other boat....

Now I have a standing rule that I repeat every trip: Make sure you keep a eye out for other boats and tell me if I'm heading for something!!!!

So...I totally understand.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Scary story David, glad all were ok.

I too gave up my tiller boats last year. I'm a bit older than you and arthritis, my lady and frequent trips across Lake of the Woods made me give up my Yarcraft and F115. I bought a used 621 to test the wheel boat waters....it is pretty much good. I do miss backtrolling in a good blow but trips from point a to point b sure seem quick now. The raingear stays put away most of the time too. Power steering makes it seem much like driving a car. Others disagree, but I firmly believe you can be much more precise in a tiller when the wind is blowing. Trade-offs. That being said, I will be staying in a wheel boat.

I'm sure you will love the new ride. Good luck.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:22 AM
Wallhanger

I had my close call on Winnie a few years back, scared me so bad I loaded up and went home, my dog by his behavior saved the guy I was about to hit, I got reamed out by him but good and rightfully so. Now I am still a tiller guy, 69 years old, on big water a lot, any passengers on board will be facing the bow and helping me watch out in spite of the weather, my rules.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Good Luck with the new boat! I just went from a wheel boat back to a tiller. So much better to fish out of. I'm 67 y/o. I'm curious about you going from a 115 HP tiller to a 250 HP wheel boat after a scare. Personally I think I would be going down in HP and speed. My past couple boats have been 30 MPH max. That's my comfort level. I'm trying to slow down my progress to the grave. LOL! Being retired, I'm not in a hurry for anything. I have been known to tell the wife little white lies in order to get a new boat.

Last edited by Shellback; 03-12-2015 at 03:28 PM.