Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Linked Humminbirds - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 12-20-2014, 03:25 PM
Slot Fish

Default Linked Humminbirds

OK, quick question. I just bought a new boat and I got 2 humminbird 859 hd with DI. I am having them linked together and I am going to run both units off of the transducer in the back. Do I need to by a lake chip for each unit, or do I need just one lake chip since they will be linked together. Also, which lake chip do you guys recommend? Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2014, 03:59 PM
Wallhanger

Those units will each need a map chip. The choice of which depends a lot on where you fish, but Lakemaster is hard to beat.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:09 PM
Slot Fish

Ok, thanks, I will be fishing mostly in wisconsin and maybe lake of the woods once a year. I was hoping was going to be able to get away with having just one chip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2014, 06:24 PM
Keeper

To be clear the linked units can not share map cards. But you do not necessarily need map cards in each unit. The units will have the contour xd base maps with 5' contors built in. I started out with only 1 card installed at the console and ran I link from the console you won't get the 1' contours at the bow doing this. Eventually I bought a 2nd card.

If your using I- link you need the lake master had cards. I don't believe the other brands are compatible with I-link.

You should only need 1 unit with DI, the 2nd unit only needs to be the cheaper 859 combo. After they are linked, you can share the DI.
Humminbird 1199, 1159, 859 and Helix 7g2n
Old 12-20-2014, 07:38 PM
Slot Fish

Are you positive about only needing 1 unit with the down imagaing, I was told that if you wanted down imaging on both while linked, they both had to be DI compatible.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:12 PM
Wallhanger

" I am going to run both units off of the transducer in the back."

Why? If you're fishing from the bow, you want to see what's under the bow, not what's under the transom. Or are you not using a bow mount trolling motor?
Yamaha 50 tiller
Minn Kota Terrova 12V
Humminbird 898, Helix 9
Old 12-20-2014, 08:31 PM
Slot Fish

I have a bow mount trolling motor. I want them linked up and running off of the same transducer so I can save a way point on one and have it automatically saved to the other unit as well. I am not very informed on how it all works, by I am under the impression that if I have them linked together, I need to run them off of the same transducer for saving way points and such on one, and having it automatically save on the other unit. I ordered my boat with an 80 lb terrova ipilot with the link. The transducer on the trolling motor is not di compatible.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ep_usn View Post
I have a bow mount trolling motor. I want them linked up and running off of the same transducer so I can save a way point on one and have it automatically saved to the other unit as well. I am not very informed on how it all works, by I am under the impression that if I have them linked together, I need to run them off of the same transducer for saving way points and such on one, and having it automatically save on the other unit. I ordered my boat with an 80 lb terrova ipilot with the link. The transducer on the trolling motor is not di compatible.
Looking at the Humminbird Ethernet Manual, you can link the 2 units together, to share GPS data, yet select different transducers for each unit. This way, you can get a non-DI unit for the bow, use the BM built-in 'ducer if you have one, yet share the waypoints.

Either Google Humminbird Ethernet Manual, or send me your email address via PM, and I'll send you the pdf manual.

HRG
Old 12-20-2014, 08:48 PM
Slot Fish

Yeah, I just saw that, thanks for the info. I think I will tell them to hook the transducer up to the trolling motor instead of just using the one off of the back. I am going to keep the same unit up front with the down imaging. It's 50 bucks more, so it's not breaking the bank. Plus I'm the one that's going to be fishing up front, so I would like to be able to look at a di unit while fishing. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:53 AM
Keeper

Ep

100% positive on only needing 1 unit with DI

I run my 1199-hd- si at the console, and a 859-hd combo ( non si non DI) at the bow. They are connected to an Ethernet hub. I use the us2 ducer built into the terrova, I-link connected to the hub. Hdsi ducer mounted to the transom, and puck epoxied into the bilge.

I can select what ducer to use on either unit and get both Si and DI at the bow on my 859 combo.

I think the information(way pts, spot locks and etc) are only saved on one of the units but is displayed on both.
Humminbird 1199, 1159, 859 and Helix 7g2n

Tags
859 , humminbird , lake maps