Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Three way rigging or handline? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 02-12-2013, 03:20 PM
Slot Fish

Default Three way rigging or handline?

I'm trying to understand why handlining would be preferred over running a three way rig. Seems like it would accomplish the same thing. Heavy weight and pulling a lure close to the bottom. Any insight? What am I missing? Thanks.

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 03:34 PM
Keeper

Default Handlining

It kinda-sorta would accomplish the same thing, but it sounds like handlining is a fun way to fight the fish and feel every little (or big) head-shake. I asked about it once on this site and Juls posted a link to a great article that she wrote some time ago. It gave me a better sense of how to set up for it and the "victories" of handlining. I'm not set up for it, but given the chance, I'd try it for something new and fun to do. Maybe she'll read this and post a link to that article for you...
Old 02-12-2013, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitecrawler128 View Post
It kinda-sorta would accomplish the same thing, but it sounds like handlining is a fun way to fight the fish and feel every little (or big) head-shake. I asked about it once on this site and Juls posted a link to a great article that she wrote some time ago. It gave me a better sense of how to set up for it and the "victories" of handlining. I'm not set up for it, but given the chance, I'd try it for something new and fun to do. Maybe she'll read this and post a link to that article for you...
Thanks...this was written eons ago when I was first learning how to do it too, but it should help to get you started too.

https://www.walleyecentral.com/articles/?a=194

In my opinion there is no comparison between the two presentations.

NPAA#89
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
Vexus DVX22 Merc 400 Verado
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 08:44 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juls View Post
Thanks...this was written eons ago when I was first learning how to do it too, but it should help to get you started too.

https://www.walleyecentral.com/articles/?a=194

In my opinion there is no comparison between the two presentations.

Wow, great read Juls. Is the show on the internet anywhere? Ive been putting off learning to handline but this spring im gonna bribe people into showing me the ropes. In your article you mention that he only lets you use one lead the first day and 2 the next? What was the reason for starting you out on 1? Tangle ups or harder on the arm or something?
Old 02-12-2013, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

Handlining keeps you next to the bottom 99% of the time. 3 way you have reel up and let out line as you bump bottom or think you are not on bottom. No doubt to where your rig is handlining.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:11 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAZ View Post
Handlining keeps you next to the bottom 99% of the time. 3 way you have reel up and let out line as you bump bottom or think you are not on bottom. No doubt to where your rig is handlining.
my 3-way weights never leave bottom, if the rod aint bouncin it gets fixed real quick. The start/stop of the bait seems to trigger more bites for me.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:05 PM
Charter Member

When running 45% from 5-30 ft and then back from 30-5 ft and feeling bottom for "myself" I prefer handlining. Fished both ways, handling is easier and more productive for me.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:11 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonecribbin View Post
What was the reason for starting you out on 1? Tangle ups or harder on the arm or something?

It was important to get used to how a bait runs using a handline and how to work the weights along the breaks, before adding the second line.

Can you do it right out of the box? Sure, you could. But, it's easier to do two lines once you have a feel for what the baits are doing below you. It also gives you a chance to decide what is the best position for you to bring in a fish. I always do it from a sitting position, so my arm is close to the water.... whereas, I will watch others who prefer to get up and turn around to land their fish.

It takes a bit of coordination to do it. So, getting comfortable first is a good thing.

Tip: While using two baits: A leaf on a bait can make it spin...grab the other line...and tangle them up really bad. Unless you know how it feels when a bait is running "clean", you won't know that it even tangled.

I would suggest to anyone learning to run handlines for the first time, that they take just one day (or, if you're a fast learner, a half day) to learn the presentation before adding anymore lines.

Rick always said, "Hanlining is like Poker. It takes minutes to learn and a lifetime to master", and that pretty much sums it up.

There are a lot of tricks I have learned over the years that only come with practice and time on the water, that I didn't mention in the article, so you will be learning every time you're handlining too.

Good luck at the tournament....The Illinois River is one of my favorite handlining destinations.

Oh, and to keep your arm from feeling like it's going to fall off by the end of the day, I also suggest you rest it on the side of the gunnel while you work the line. If you try to hold it out away from the boat your arm won't last all day. I can guarantee that.
NPAA#89
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112
Old 02-19-2014, 03:23 PM
Keeper

Default Quick question on HL

I have never seen anybody handline and have fished the Missouri River in ND my whole breathing career.

My question is, Why ?? Snags ?

Thought I might give it a shot if you all don't talk me out of it.

Thanks,
Norm
Old 02-19-2014, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by huffranger View Post
I have never seen anybody handline and have fished the Missouri River in ND my whole breathing career.

My question is, Why ?? Snags ?

Thought I might give it a shot if you all don't talk me out of it.

Thanks,
Norm
It's FUN! IT doesn't get anymore "one on one" with the fish than by handlining. Your arm is the rod and your fingers are the drag....just plain fun!

You won't snag if you keep the weight/wire at a 45 degree angle, so the baits run how they are supposed to.

If you don't use a heavy enough weight, and can't "feel" bottom with it, then you will usually let too much wire out to get the weight down to the bottom, and you'll eventually snag something due to the angle.
NPAA#89
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112