Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Southern Walleye - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 11-13-2001, 10:13 AM
Larry M.

Default Southern Walleye

I've spent several years chasing walleye in northern U.S. and Canada but, now that I'm retired and have more time, would be interested in trying my luck to the south in the late fall and winter months. Does anyone have experience with that or know of some web sites where I could get some info? Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2001, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

Default RE: Southern Walleye

Larry,
you might try www.fishin.com and click on both the Tennessee board and the Kentucky board. Not a whole lot of walleye info as they dont seem to be pursued that much....or people are tight lipped about it but never hurts to ask. Several lakes in Kentucky and Tennessee hold walleyes.
email me if any questions.
Old 11-13-2001, 06:27 PM
s.f.

from arizona (canyon lake out of mesa and lake mary near flagstaff), to new mexico (conchas and ute lakes) to texas (lake merideth) to cumberland lake in kentucky to quachita in arkansas the list of southern eyes homes goes on. locate info through state dnr sites and maybe even talk to fisheries biologists in these locations. we catch them basicly with all the northern presentations. all these southern lakes are rivers, remember. locate where the old main channel bangs right on the lake shores banks and you will find'em. new mexico has the best southern fishing for eyes i have experienced but all the walleye lakes have fishable populations. 20-40 ft. deep most of the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2001, 01:08 PM
Leechboy

In the southeast, Center Hill has a nice population, and the Caney fork river, which flows in to it, has a great spring run from January through Early April. Dale Hollow is a good sleeper walleye lake. The Cumberland river, which runs through TN has a good sauger population, too. Also in ARK, Bull Shoals is good, along with Norfolk(not much of a secret there). I think south beyond that is getting beyond the range, although Pickwick and Wilson have good sauger fishing. Typical walleye fishing, bouncers, jigs, cranks, whatever they ask for...Good Luck.-lb
Old 11-14-2001, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Check out Bull Shoals. Buster Loving is the guy that you need to contact. His email address is bustersguideservice@inter-linc.net Or try Bill Lawrence @ 417-794-3349.

If you want to check out the fishing reports, try these:
http://branson.net/fishing/bs.phtml
http://bullshoals.com/steves/fishreport/

Also check out the Missouri Walleye Anglers Association. I think that there is a link @ WalleyeCentral

Old 11-14-2001, 10:59 PM
Charter Member

Larry M

I am retired also and I have often thought about walleye fishing in warmer climates. I usually winterize my boat in Late November and usually put it back in the water about March 1st.

If you find decent walleye fishing in Dec., Jan., or Feb. please post it on this board or E mail me about the place, weather, presentation and results.

I would like to take a couple of trips during those months and then I would not have to winterize the boat at all.

You gotta love this sport.

Jack
Old 11-15-2001, 05:59 AM
BRS1

s.f.

Where are you located? Your user id and comments suggests possibly Santa Fe.

I am new to the fishing in and around New Mexico (originally from the Door County area of WI) and was looking for someone to share info with.

Brian
Old 11-15-2001, 06:41 AM
Larry M.

Thanks for all the help! You can always count on this board and it's fine participants. Lots of good suggestions. We have just returned from a trip to Branson and I had picked up a business card of Buster's at a convienence store. (talk about coincidence) I'll follow up and likely will try Bull Shoals or Norfork this winter. Will post experience. Thanks again!
Old 11-16-2001, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

The two lakes on the Canadian River in New Mexico( Conchas and Ute) and Meredith in the Texas Panhandle have excellent walleye fishing. For numbers( 14"-18"), try Meredith.....for bigger average try Conchas. It is an excellent fishery....but is currently at a near 30 yr.low in water level. Fish in Conchas are now concentrated and beginning to show stress of not enough forage. For all three lakes try slabs through January and then go to night fishing with cranks or jigs for really nice fish. However,due to the high elevation, this area can also be very cold in the winter though nothing like the upper Midwest.

Dan Turner
Old 11-21-2001, 11:03 AM
Larry M.

Brian

Sorry for delay. Actually I'm from Iowa and was especially interested in walleys in Missouri, Arkansas and Texas. Thats quite a move from Door County to New Mexico I've visited both and each has it's own kind of beauty but Door County is kind of special.

Larry