Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
.380 acp - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Archery, Blackpowder, Rifles, Pistols, Shotguns...and whatever else you have.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

Default .380 acp

Looking at the Ruger, Kel-Tek and Taurus. Like the feel/looks of the Ruger. Would like the WC consesus!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2011, 06:08 PM
Wallhanger

Walther PPK.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:24 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
Looking at the Ruger, Kel-Tek and Taurus. Like the feel/looks of the Ruger. Would like the WC consesus!
Looked at the Ruger LCP .380 and the Ruger LC9 9mm. Was not as impressed with the Kel-Tek and did not look at the Taurus. Went with the LC9 and so far I like it quite well. With these types of weapons you must consider they are designed for self defense and are not set up to fire and operate the same as a handgun that you might use for target or hunting situations. The LC9 has more bang with the 9MM and yet is not much bigger than the LCP. It also has a much better sighting system and with the extender on the magazine it fits my hand much much better. Ruger made in the USA and has a fantastic reputation. .02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2011, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

what is your intended purpose for this hand gun ?
I would also endorse the Walther PPK, one of the big reason is reliability.

Rebs
Old 11-21-2011, 09:38 PM
Noah Cantell

Default The trouble with a .380

I realize the .380's are more concealable however you have to keep pulling the trigger to knock them down.- If for home defense, you are better off with a shotgun and #4'shot loaded. That is so because you don't want collateral damage when a bullet goes through a wall. With a pistol IMHO you need at least a 200 grain bullet traveling at 1,000 fps. That means a .45 acp +P. Look at the FNP stuff. Regardless of the caliber, always double tap. I have one and it shoots where you point it with little felt recoil. The FNP is very accurate out to 30 yards (4” group). I live in Arizona, so it's legal to conceal carry. Besides - I went to school and got a permit anyway.

I know you didn't ask for this but I thought to throw it in anyway. Most encounters in the home happen at 15 yards or less - but you still want to knock them down so they can't shoot back. A shot gun at close range will do that. I pray every day that I'll never have to use my .45 in self defense. I also pray that I will not hesitate if I have to. In home invasions, know your state laws first, and then know where other legal occupants are - don't announce yourself to the intruder, hide in a dark place - low - around a corner, and let the perp come to you. If you go to them, they will know where you are and you’ll be the target of the first shot. Don't talk - just shoot. Don't ever think you will wake up when you have to. Get alarms installed, or get a dog, or both. In CCW states and when outside your home, do everything you can to avoid confrontation including running away until you can’t run any more. If you absolutely have to use your firearm, expect to go to jail anyway and have your firearm confiscated. But at least you’ll be alive and if you did everything you could to avoid the situation, you’ll likely be adjudged innocent – but don’t count on it. . . sorry if this was too much information.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Cantell View Post
I realize the .380's are more concealable however you have to keep pulling the trigger to knock them down.- If for home defense, you are better off with a shotgun and #4'shot loaded. That is so because you don't want collateral damage when a bullet goes through a wall. With a pistol IMHO you need at least a 200 grain bullet traveling at 1,000 fps. That means a .45 acp +P. Look at the FNP stuff. Regardless of the caliber, always double tap. I have one and it shoots where you point it with little felt recoil. The FNP is very accurate out to 30 yards (4” group). I live in Arizona, so it's legal to conceal carry. Besides - I went to school and got a permit anyway.

I know you didn't ask for this but I thought to throw it in anyway. Most encounters in the home happen at 15 yards or less - but you still want to knock them down so they can't shoot back. A shot gun at close range will do that. I pray every day that I'll never have to use my .45 in self defense. I also pray that I will not hesitate if I have to. In home invasions, know your state laws first, and then know where other legal occupants are - don't announce yourself to the intruder, hide in a dark place - low - around a corner, and let the perp come to you. If you go to them, they will know where you are and you’ll be the target of the first shot. Don't talk - just shoot. Don't ever think you will wake up when you have to. Get alarms installed, or get a dog, or both. In CCW states and when outside your home, do everything you can to avoid confrontation including running away until you can’t run any more. If you absolutely have to use your firearm, expect to go to jail anyway and have your firearm confiscated. But at least you’ll be alive and if you did everything you could to avoid the situation, you’ll likely be adjudged innocent – but don’t count on it. . . sorry if this was too much information.
In some states I believe even if you are judged innocent, the perps family can still sue you for wrongful death.

Rebs
Old 11-22-2011, 06:52 AM
Noah Cantell

Default Rebs,

You are correct. But, anybody can sue anybody else. anywhere, for anything. It's the litigation cost that will make you go broke before any judgement comes down. Happy Thanksgiving
Old 11-22-2011, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

I have the Ruger LCP. Feels awkward to hold. Even after installing Mag extension and grip wrap. Although those helped. I think it's shaped wrong. No problems shooting. Suprisingly accurate and not one single malfuntion with 2 boxes of shells. After buying it I realized that I already found the perfect carry gun for me in my Glock 23. I keep the noisy cricket in the glove box.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:59 PM
Wallhanger

Gilligan,
Find a range where you can rent guns and try them out. It's not so much what we think, but how your hand and eye will function with the thing. In any event, shoot a high quality self defense ammo, like a Hornadt Critical Defense round. At this caliber it's all about placement and proximity. I bought an LCP, and find generally that these guns have long trigger pulls, out of necessity, since at least the Ruger has no safety. Before someone starts bashing, keep in mind for something over 100 years, no revolvers had safeties either.
That said, the Ruger is a good mouse gun, but most 380s are going to have a lot of muzzle flip due to the light weight. While it's a good hideout gun, and here to there it'll do the job, I'd rather carry more gun, at leeast a 9mm. While I've got my druthers there, in response to the original question, I think the Ruger is more relaible and with better finish than the Kel-Tec, and as good or better than the Taurus.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:51 PM
Wallhanger

I'd recommend a Glock in .40S&W.
But if .380 is your choice... I'd go with a Walther PPK (made by S&W...nowadays)