Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
All vinyl boat - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 03-20-2017, 05:30 AM
Keeper

Default All vinyl boat

I'm thinking ordering a new boat with all vinyl decking. I'm wondering if the vinyl gets slick when it's wet. I really like how easy it is the clean over the carpet but also don't want it to be a slip n slide when it's wet lol
Thanks!
Ultrex 112 Link
Helix 10SI Mega
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2017, 05:36 AM
Charter Member

I have walked in my older Lund, on its vinyl floor for 16 years, many time in wet conditions. I have not found it to be slippery.

Bill
Old 03-20-2017, 06:04 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Krejca View Post
I have walked in my older Lund, on its vinyl floor for 16 years, many time in wet conditions. I have not found it to be slippery.

Bill
Thanks Bill!
Ultrex 112 Link
Helix 10SI Mega
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2017, 06:08 AM
Keeper

If it's wet with temps around freezing it can get quite slick!
Old 03-20-2017, 06:13 AM
Wallhanger

I only order my AlumaCrafts with the Vinyl
main floor, we got in by accident a couple
All Vinyls and especially on a Big Competitor it makes the boat look
Cheap, it's also Loud, if you fish in warm weather it's fine, but when wet and cold it will be a ice rink!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2017, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Been in many boats that had vinyl for floor covering.

Never any issues in looks appearance, or performance with the vinyl floor.

So much easier to clean than a carpeted floor.

One thing that some folks do with any floor covering on their boats floor is to use a section of either lay in carpet, or a section of lay in rubber carpet mat - whether the floor is bare, vinly, or carpet - simply because if you get a lot of "junk" like blood, slime and gunk on the floor, it is easier to take out a lay in mat - made of what ever material and clean and scrub it on the driveway than to have to clean up a permanently installed floor covering.

I have a white pebbled fiberglass floor in my boat and it is a wonderful floor, but it sucks to keep the white floor clean all of the time. So, rather than being anal about cleaning the floor every hour to keep the white looking white, I use a lay in carpet of a nice matching color to the hatches on the the floor of the boat.

Then, after each long fishing trip, I lift out the lay in carpet, and hose it off, scrub it off and dry it out using the driveway. When dry, I lay it back in the boat and am good to go.

In the summer time when the boat is used for water sports, bare feet and a lot of in and out of the boat midlake, I generally leave the carpet out of the boat and just use the bare white fiberglass pebbled floor. In the middle of the summer with a lot of water sports, the white floor stays clean and the white floor is nice and cool.

Every boat is different, and it is entirely up to the owner what works best for them.

One issue with carpet on a wood floor, is that often, the carpet and wood floor does not get dry in between uses and thus leads to a soft floor.

However, I am not saying that the life of the floor of a vinyl covered wood floor will be any different.

Best to have a boat's floor that is made of a material that is not wood and is not subject to water damage.

Good luck
Old 03-20-2017, 11:51 AM
Wallhanger

Slick only when some JackA## decides to use Spray-On Sun Screen...otherwise no problem.

PS if you see someone one your boat pull that crap out...toss them both off for being stupid.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:03 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binks61 View Post
Slick only when some JackA## decides to use Spray-On Sun Screen...otherwise no problem.
Same goes for bug spray. Do it on the dock, downwind, or far away from the boat. On my last boat, I wondered for a long time what those light dots were that were all over my throttle and the plastic cover for the radio. I thought it was overspray from someone painting near my parked boat. Apparently, DEET and some types of plastic don't get along.

On my new boat, slimy pike and musky have slicked up the vinyl floor, but I've never considered it dangerously slippery.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:45 PM
Wallhanger

Had vinyl in a Glastron I once owned. Yes easiest to clean, but if you like to be in bare feet on hot summer day,(make sure no hooks laying on the floor !) was very HOT. But it was a darker color, maybe the light grey that seems common these days is better.
Yes, in freezing temps, my wet vinyl was a bit slick,depending on the shoes or boots I was wearing.

A bit harder to keep clean, but I myself STILL prefer carpet. A good portable vacuume cleaner and an occasional hose down, still looks new. And a vinyl interior to me, looks cheap. One thing I will do next time is avoid a DARK color carpet. It shows every bit of debris, sand etc.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:53 PM
Wallhanger

My Lund is all vinyl and I love it!