Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Question for Motorguide guys - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 03-21-2017, 06:11 AM
Wallhanger

Default Question for Motorguide guys

I am thinking hard about upgrading my Powerdrive V2 to a new motor with spotlock, either a new Terrova with Ipilot or the Xi5 with pinpoint GPS.

The MG is about $500 cdn cheaper, but am wondering if there is any deploy or pull up assistance like the Terrova. A few times last year in chop it was a real pain pulling my V2 back up with no assist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2017, 06:30 AM
Keeper

Hey Martin, the Motorguide is the same if not a tad easier to stow than the Terrova. I've had both and can tell you that the MG is lighter when lifting on or off the boat.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:59 PM
Wallhanger

Default M g

I did what your about to do a couple years back and regret it now. Owned Minn-Kota for years with no issues whatsoever and switched to Motor Guide that has only seen 7 mths worth of weekends, and I am told that in needs a module at 1465.00 for the part not incl. labor. You would think Mercury Marine would stand behind there products better, or is it that we are in Canada, don't do it you will regret it...Chico...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2017, 02:56 PM
guest2340

Go with the Terrova. Make sure it is the newest model that has Lift Assist. It will also have the new spot lock that is better than the Motor Guide. The previous Minn Kota spot lock...not so much.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:52 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest2340 View Post
Go with the Terrova. Make sure it is the newest model that has Lift Assist. It will also have the new spot lock that is better than the Motor Guide. The previous Minn Kota spot lock...not so much.
Would you pay $500 more for the Terrova?
Old 03-21-2017, 07:28 PM
Slot Fish

Bought a Cannondale lefty bike handle, seen some other guys on WC had them. Made a difference. Found it on eBay.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:39 PM
Wallhanger

I just replaced a Terrova with a MG and regret it. While I lile the interface with my Lowrance electronics, that is not a fair trade off for the inconveniences.
1. Still have not been able to eliminate the static on electronics screens.
2. prop vibrates badly.
3. Lifting MG is not as smooth as the Terrova and the shaft design, having the weight forward on the shaft makes the MG out of balance.
If there was a way to interface Lowrance electronics with Minnkota I'd be there in a second!!
Old 03-22-2017, 05:55 AM
Wallhanger

I say go for MG 100%. If your prop is vibrating badly then it's not on right,you have line or debris behind your prop or your shaft is bent, if you have static then fix it, I myself have helped people here eliminate interference,, which can happen from any trolling motor btw, just search the forums here it's been thoroughly discussed. And as previously stated,add the cannondale handle and stowing motor is a breeze. Of course you have your MK fans and your MG fans, I personally am a fan of what works and I can say the Xi5 105 motor performs great for me. I am also a fan of cash in my pocket so if you can save that much,it's a no brainer
Old 03-22-2017, 06:00 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnote View Post
Bought a Cannondale lefty bike handle, seen some other guys on WC had them. Made a difference. Found it on eBay.
Do you have a picture of that or a link?
Old 03-22-2017, 06:07 AM
Mguide

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico View Post
I did what your about to do a couple years back and regret it now. Owned Minn-Kota for years with no issues whatsoever and switched to Motor Guide that has only seen 7 mths worth of weekends, and I am told that in needs a module at 1465.00 for the part not incl. labor. You would think Mercury Marine would stand behind there products better, or is it that we are in Canada, don't do it you will regret it...Chico...
Isn't that the same price (or more) as a brand new trolling motor?