Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lac O'SULLIVAN, Quebec Info.? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 05-15-2002, 08:46 AM
rogerNY

Default Lac O'SULLIVAN, Quebec Info.?

Has anyone ever fished this lake located off the Clova Road?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2002, 10:04 PM
Wallhanger

Default RE: Lac O'SULLIVAN, Quebec Info.?

Not yet, but we are going to give it a try in a month. When are you heading up? Rich
Old 06-02-2002, 06:49 PM
walleye general

fished this lake and know several others who have also- hane never had a good trip catching on a steady pace- nice people and nice place but we have been going a few miles in the clova road to the goin resevoir and have had much much better fishing- hope you have a good trip!!dylan5518@yahoo.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2002, 03:42 AM
Thunderstick

I've fished this lake for over twenty years and that ought to tell you what I think of it. Over the years we've experienced some truly outstanding walleye bites. Generally, the 2-3lb fish are plentiful. This lake holds some real trophy (10lb. +) fish. O'Sullivan holds the Canadian record for catch and release walleye...16 lbs.!!! There's an abundance of points, bays, flats and portage opportunities that give fisherman the flexability to employ whichever methods they feel most comfortable with. In our case, we generally troll sticks to locate active fish and toss jigs once we find them. I've witnessed successful slip bobber fishermen and worm-harness trollers. It's a great place to fish walleye. Pike fishing offers some real trophy possibilities. The twenty pounders are there for the caster/troller. Catch and release is encouraged and this has seemed to keep the population of big fish relatively abundant. While some lakes seem to be infested with thousands of "snakes", O'Sullivan pike are generous and healthy and, when active, you'll get your fill of 5-10lb fish with enough 10lb.-15lb fish to keep you interested. Like any Canadian lake, fish do not jump into your boat. If you're seasoned and patient, you'll catch fish. And if you're interested in adventure, think about taking the guided day trip to Armentier. It's a bit of a journey and requires a little bit of walking, however you'll be fishing a lake that gives up some mighty big Northern (catch & release, only) including one over 30 lbs a few years back. Among the reasons we keep coming back is that the accommodations are so comfortable. It's a nice set-up, clean and secluded. This might sound like a sales pitch, but like I said, I've been returning to O'Sullivan because, frankly, no one's convinced me that, year in, year out, there's a better option. We'll be up there the first week of July. If you've got any particular questions about the place, post them here and I'll be back to you. Good luck.
Old 06-03-2002, 10:07 AM
Andy from Pa

Thunderstick has made a very concise and accurate assessment of Lake O'Sullivan. The lodge is well run, the people are kind and the fishing is great. I've been going to O'Sullivan every year for the last six, and we have always done well. About ten years ago we did a week at Lac Esden, a fly-in only outpost for the O' Sullivan lessee/owner.
Though I always seem to bring new tackle, every year the best walleye action is on the same white, pink or chartreuse jigs, w/ or without worms, w/ or without twisters and stick baits--like the Thunderstick and the smaller rainbow trout rapala. Of course, follow the wind and fish the wind blown bays. In June 10-15 feet of water, less with rain, seems to be the ticket. The mouth of the river to the north is a great, or Smith's Bay to the south and many others. The great thing about O' Sullivan is you can catch decent pike or dead stick or troll for Lakers as well as walleye fishing. Three years ago my buddy caught a 31 pound laker--and released it. It is a lot of water with new places every year. Have fun and catch fish.
Old 06-03-2002, 08:01 PM
GP NJ

I agree with Andy and Thunderstick. I have visited Lac O'Sullivan 6 times in the past 5 years and have reservations for 2 trips this year. I have visited lodges located on Lac Hebert, Gouin Reservoir, and Lac Kipawa in Quebec. My favorite lake is Lac O'Sullivan and for good reason. I have caught 8 Walleyes 28"-31" including the 31" catch and release walleye record in 2001. My brother holds the catch and release record for Walleye in 2000 with a 30" fish. The 2 weeks we went last year I saw 5 Walleyes that measured 28"-31". Four of the 5 fish were released. This Lake is listed in In-Fisherman with a Catch and Release of a 36" Walleye. Truly an amazing fishery, although like any lake in Quebec, fish just don't jump into the boat.
Old 06-07-2002, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

Rich
Just checking in from Erie we will be close to O'sullivan at Berthelot Lac. June 29. Lodge owners tell us the bait of choice for walleyes is leeches and best place to buy them is Manawaki. Never used them before. Looking at a leech tamer mesh bag? Any rigging tips and advice welcomed from everybody
Old 06-07-2002, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

Seanik:

We learned to use leeches for success last year in Quebec. Some prefer to tip small jigs with leeches. Our preferred method was drifting leeches on small light wire hooks with enough split shot on the leader to ensure getting to the bottom (in late June that was 18 to 20 feet). If the walleyes are suspended, you can use leeches under slip bobbers.
Good luck regardless how you use them. Jay
Old 06-09-2002, 10:11 PM
Wallhanger

Retiree has good advice for leach use. I'll ad using a floating jig on a lindy rig. This is what put most of Berthelot"s eyes in my boat when I was there. But I will note that crawlers out preformed the leaches for us. Be sure to drop me a note when you get back on how you did. Tight lines, Rich