Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Epoxy on eyelets getting thin - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 04-20-2016, 08:06 PM
Minnow

Default Epoxy on eyelets getting thin

Hi guys! So after taking a rod back today (penn) after the eyelets were moving around and the epoxy was cracked, I decided to check my other rods. And one of my main rods had the epoxy getting thin (gx2).all of the guides minus the bottom and top guide. And I don't beat on my rods (drop them etc) . So I started wondering. ... What was causing this to happen? I don't horse crank, or do anything crazy. Does anyone have any ideas? I compared my 2 ugly stiks, one ultralight for panfish that I use on the boat a lot, vs my do everything medium action ugly stik. And I troll with my medium. So maybe it has something to do with epoxy getting direct Sunlight (because I have to flip it over to get it into a rod holder since it is a spinning reel). So I'm unsure and I'd like some opinions. Here is what I'm talking about. Medium on top, ultralight on the bottom. https://images.platforum.cloud/uploa...d009fb50af.jpghttps://images.platforum.cloud/uploa...af06786e9d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2016, 09:56 PM
Wallhanger

Hello: I don't know. Maybe u v might damage the epoxy, just a thought. I haven't experienced your problem. Good Luck. O - R
Old 04-21-2016, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

I build fishing rods.

I expect that what you are seeing is the used rod effect on a fishing rod that only has a thin coating of thread finish on the rod from the beginning.

If you want more finish on the guide, simply mix up a batch of finish, apply it and then let the rod rotate for 12 hours to let it dry.

Any one that builds rods will have the ability to do this task.

If you would like me to handle it for you and if you live in the Minneapolis area - just drop it by.
Send me a message and we can hook up if you are local.

If you want the rod done and are in a different locale, just find someone or a shop that builds or repairs fishing rods and they will take care of it for you.

Good luck

p.s.
If you want to do it yourself, obtain materials like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Flex-Coat-F1K-...oat+rod+finish

You can do the job yourself if you wish.

Take a couple of cardboard boxes the same size and cut v's in the top edge of the box on each side of each box. This will form the rest on which to rest the rod. Figure out where you will need to place the rod, and boxes so that all of the guides can rotate with none of their thread wraps coming in contact with the tops of the boxes.

Then, mix up a batch of finish and stir for 2 minutes or 120 seconds as measured on a clock.
Then, using one of the brushes, apply finish uniformly on each of the rod butt and guide wraps

As you do this continue to rotate the rod by hand slowly.

After you have even finish applied on each rod wrap as well as the butt wrap, rotate the rod once per minute for the first 10-20 minutes. Then, rotate the rod once every 30 minutes for the next two hours. Then, rotate the rod once every 60 minutes for the next 4 hours.

Then, let the rod dry overnight and you will be good to go. If at any time you notice drips forming, you need to continuously rotate the rod to remove the drips, or use a bit of heat from a hair dryer to thin the mixture, so that the finish will self level as you continuously rotate the rod.

----------
Folks who build rods will have a rod dryer, that will continue to rotate the rods at a speed of 6-15 rpm. This lets the builder apply finish and have the machine do the rod rotation with no need for hand turning the blank to prevent runs or sags.

Be safe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2016, 08:54 AM
Minnow

Default Epoxy on eyelets getting thin

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post

I build fishing rods.

I expect that what you are seeing is the used rod effect on a fishing rod that only has a thin coating of thread finish on the rod from the beginning.

If you want more finish on the guide, simply mix up a batch of finish, apply it and then let the rod rotate for 12 hours to let it dry.

Any one that builds rods will have the ability to do this task.

If you would like me to handle it for you and if you live in the Minneapolis area - just drop it by.

Send me a message and we can hook up if you are local.

If you want the rod done and are in a different locale, just find someone or a shop that builds or repairs fishing rods and they will take care of it for you.

Good luck

p.s.

If you want to do it yourself, obtain materials like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Flex-Coat-F1K-...oat+rod+finish

You can do the job yourself if you wish.

Take a couple of cardboard boxes the same size and cut v's in the top edge of the box on each side of each box. This will form the rest on which to rest the rod. Figure out where you will need to place the rod, and boxes so that all of the guides can rotate with none of their thread wraps coming in contact with the tops of the boxes.

Then, mix up a batch of finish and stir for 2 minutes or 120 seconds as measured on a clock.

Then, using one of the brushes, apply finish uniformly on each of the rod butt and guide wraps

As you do this continue to rotate the rod by hand slowly.

After you have even finish applied on each rod wrap as well as the butt wrap, rotate the rod once per minute for the first 10-20 minutes. Then, rotate the rod once every 30 minutes for the next two hours. Then, rotate the rod once every 60 minutes for the next 4 hours.

Then, let the rod dry overnight and you will be good to go. If at any time you notice drips forming, you need to continuously rotate the rod to remove the drips, or use a bit of heat from a hair dryer to thin the mixture, so that the finish will self level as you continuously rotate the rod.

----------

Folks who build rods will have a rod dryer, that will continue to rotate the rods at a speed of 6-15 rpm. This lets the builder apply finish and have the machine do the rod rotation with no need for hand turning the blank to prevent runs or sags.

Be safe

Thanks I appreciate the offer, but I'm from pa. I'll try and do what you said and I'll report back. Thanks for taking the time to reply

Last edited by 68camaro; 04-21-2016 at 08:57 AM.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:29 AM
Minnow

If at any time you notice drips forming, you need to continuously rotate the rod to remove the drips, or use a bit of heat from a hair dryer to thin the mixture, so that the finish will self level as you continuously rotate the rod.

The hair dryer trick is gold!! When I started to build a lot of fly rods i was taught this trick and it never failed me. if you want to build a cheap system to rotate the rod a BBQ rotisserie motor works well. I used a bit of surgical tubing to to connect the blank to the motor.

Give it a try and follow REW's instructions, hit it with a shot of heat to smooth the coating and remove excess epoxy or bubbles.
Xi5 24V with Pinpoint
HDS9 Gen3
HDS7 Gen3
Old 04-21-2016, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

If you don't want to recoat yourself, just find a rod builder in your area.

There is generally a rod builder in virtually every town that has quite a few fishermen in the town.

Be safe
Old 04-21-2016, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Here is a google search for fishing rod builders in Pa.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...++rod+builders
Old 04-21-2016, 07:19 PM
Minnow

Really appreciate the help guys. I should be fine fishing with it this weekend right? Can't get it done before the weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk