Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Future Of Tournament Angling - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Old 11-19-2012, 11:24 AM
Fishin Mathematician.

Wink Derrrrdaduh.

I was not directing my comment to you eyecrosser and clearly you missed the point. It was in response to worn out and his comments on personal wealth being the only way to manage competing. The game has changed since the days of the PWT. Many of the top guys are not the old veteran PWT guys. If you look what the next generation is doing, their revenue is coming from outside the industry. If you rely solely on winnings, good luck! Awesome you won some money...I am net positive regardless of winnings. To me thats the difference between a business and gambling. I have no idea of how your business plan looked and couldn't care less.

Back to the topic it would probably be the end if more guys were focused solely on generating revenue from a boat company or just fishing companies or winnings. The NWT should open this further with no exclusive categories allowing guys to market for more companies.

Thats just one opinion and facts from a current competitor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 11:39 AM
Minnow

Default future?

Burr, I totally agree that prices have gotten out of hand. This whole thing is about money and changing demographics. Things run in cycles, the only constant for the last 20 years has been the MWC and well run local events. I've never fished an MWC but have to tip my hat to their longevity. It has never been about particular individuals although certainly the Lindners changed the game dramatically, it's about fun and time spent with friends. Big tournaments simply have priced themselves out of the picture going forward.
Something to think about: I bought a new Chevy Suburban 10 yrs ago and a new one again last year, both were loaded. I paid the same 45,000 for both. You are dead right about boat prices over the last 10 years. I'll use the truck everyday for 10 yrs, Ill use the boat 40 days per year and pay the same 45K....I'll do it cause I love to fish, but sometimes I question my own sanity!
Old 11-19-2012, 11:46 AM
Minnow

Default Got the point

Fish mathematician, My bad I thought you were talking to me. My apology.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 05:39 PM
Wallhanger

The Post should read Walleye Tournament fishing

On the Bass side, It's heating up
BASS is going strong and the TBF allied with the FLW has just bought the NBAA (so I'd say there larger now)
Full fields in bigger tournaments and you need to qualify for them (not just pony up the entry fee)
And on the smaller scale there's a tournament almost every day of the week around me in Michigan

The whole problem with Tournament Walleye fishing would be
1.) It's limited to a small number of states
2.) And most walleye fishermen are meat hunters, they could care less about Tournaments

Were as Bass fishing is done in allmost all the states and most bass fisherman are C&R so thet lends
itself to being competitive or tournament fishing for the cash or bragging rights

So the bottom line is
If you run a Tournament Buss. you go after the bigger crowd of paying people
there's allways going to be Walleye Tournaments on some scale, It's just going to be smaller then it has in the
past.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:02 PM
Wallhanger

Its pretty simple Bass fishing is a world wide sport and Walleye fishing is limited to a few states and a relativly small audiance. Sponsors want a large market and they get that with Bass. Without sponsors you are dead in the water.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:24 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worn out View Post
You are kidding right? You need extra cash...and lots of it to compete. Like it or not tournaments have run their course, the only reason yet another circuit popped up after the fall of two is it is the only crowd that can afford to buy these boats...the commoner can't. Without the sales to tournament fishermen there would be a few manufactures that would start sinking.
It's a rich mans sport for sure. Gas, rooms, gear, vehicles, things break...it never ends.

If you want to have a million dollars from tournament angling, start out with two million dollars.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Thumbs up 10-4...

I agree with Robert M & Manxfishing posts for sure!

Fishing w/buds is a fun social event, while
Angling is a serious skill-growth rung-climbing event with loads of self-improvement satisfaction w/each step... Hang a Hog, Not a Smelt

Ray da sUMo 'Chaser
Old 11-29-2012, 11:28 PM
timburr

Default walleye tourneys

walleye tournaments are very important here are a few reasons all weekend warriors use techniques invented by professional walleye anglers to catch fish. these techniques open up oportunities for the average angler to catch fish such as lead core. electronics are advanced to the point they are because lowrance and bird get input from the pros. navionics and lakemaster sell maps and mapcards with fishing hotspots for the average angler to go and fish this data is mostly from pros and guides. every professional walleye tournament that i have attended had either a kids event or a soldiers appreciation tourney if this has a possitive impact on 1 kid then its worth it. bottom line is tourney fishing needs every fishermens support if its attending a weigh in, watching a walleye tourney on tv or online, fishin as a co angler, or buying gear that the pros use its all important for the sport. there is a lot of money spent at resorts and bait shops at these tourneys that help these businesses stay afloat some of these businesses may be places you stop or stay at for a family fishing vacation. walleye tourneys need to add a little more excitement to get more people interested. maybe show a few guys playing bumper boats for a spot or show some arguments stuff like that gets people interested or maybe have some rival teams going head to head sure the pros with sponsors have to have some professionalism but if it gets tons more people interested its all the better for the sponsors.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:26 AM
Wallhanger

Tim,

Reading the post I get the feeling that you fish walleye Tournaments
But I think your not looking at the other side

Tournament fishing more or less is a bunch of guys putting there money together and the winner takes the cash
And tournament trails take there cut it's a buss to make money or provide a service
The "Pro's", fishermen, co-anglers or people fishing the tournaments are the ones who need to suppot the tournament trails. Not the casaul weekend fisherman

THe sport of fishing has been going on longer then tournament fishing. And everyone has there own option on how to do it and have fun. Some drink beer, catch a meal, catch up with old friends, escape the pressure's at work or home. And most could care less about tournament fishing
They themself owe nothing to the "Pro's" or tournament angler

So the bottom line is
If you run a buss (tournament trails) and you don't have full fields it's not working.
It's the "pro's" that didn't show up

It's funny you mention buy the gear that "Pro's" use
I myself avoid any thing endorsed by a "Pro" my thought is, If it's good. It will sell on it's own

Last edited by Manxfishing; 12-01-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:23 PM
Papacharlie

Default Enough

Manxfishing How many Flicker shads do you own? Exactly.......... And you probably won't get the reference