Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Anchor question - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 03-23-2012, 08:27 AM
Keeper

Default Anchor question

I rarely anchor unless I am fishing panfish, and have always used a 28lb navy style anchor. I have noticed that as I get older the anchor gets heavier, so I am looking at a lighter option. I am concerned that a 20lb navy style may not be large enough for my boat (Ranger 620 T), and was wondering if the 18lb Richter would have enough holding power ? Appreciate any advise. THANKS
Old 03-23-2012, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Default sure grip

Anchoring depends on your bottom and conditions. I also own a 620T and carry several anchor combinations depending on what conditions I'll be fishing. I don't keep them all in the boat for weight and/or space reasons but if I know what conditions I'll be fishing I'll take whatever out of the truck and put it in the boat for the day.

First thing I can tell you from experience is that (2) 28# navy anchors, each with 6' of chain and 120ft of cord, attached to the bow of my 620T will not hold my rig still on a Mille lacs mud flat in 26-28 fow with 3 ft waves... I have found only one anchor which will do so. Note that I have no affiliation with this product as far as a sponsor or other - I just use it because it works... Check the link: http://www.marinetechproducts.com/page/135. The 9400 water spike is sold as a 22-35ft boat anchor... yet only weighs 16#. If you watch the video at the end of the page you'll see how easy it is to deploy and retrieve. I have found it to work awesome on sand/mud/clay/weedy/and rocky bottoms. It doesn't work so well in hard gravel areas as the tips seem to not grab. My only gripe is that the thing is large and clumsey on the bottom of the boat... It is however light, easy to deploy and retrieve and holds.

catfish
Old 03-24-2012, 12:46 AM
Wallhanger

Default anchor

I had an anchor similar to the one in the link several years ago...best anchor I ever owned. It held my boat in rough water mucky/clay bottom tremendously well...until one day when I forgot to pull anchor and when I took off, I happened to cleanly snip my anchor rope with my prop...cut through it so perfectly I couldnt believe it. Anyway my fave anchor was gone forever........... :-(. I now have 3 different anchors (and none work as well as that one did--I use depending on bottom/conditions. I too only take the anchor or two I believe I'll need for that days fishing. If I ddint have so much $$ in these 3, I'd go out and buy that one tomorrow...give it a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2012, 05:44 AM
Charter Member

Through the years I've tried lots and lots of anchors and was never truly satisfied with one till I borrowed a "Box" anchor from a buddy close to ten years ago! Best anchor I'd ever used so of course I had to get one of my own and don't own or use any other type of anchor now! You can find'em at lot's of places ie: Bass Pro, Cabelas, Boaters World etc etc etc!!
Old 03-24-2012, 05:46 AM
Charter Member

You might consider a Chene anchor - see http://www.cheneanchor.com/ The model recommended for boats 16 - 25 feet long weighs less than 5 lbs. I have one and it works well on soft bottoms.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:22 AM
Keeper

Another vote here for the Water Spike. Agree, they are little clumsey in the bottom of the boat but they work like a champ IMO.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:29 AM
Wallhanger

Waterspike here to.But i havent used it since i bought my terrova with spotlock.
Derek LaPointe #7
Old 03-24-2012, 07:06 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishkiller View Post

First thing I can tell you from experience is that (2) 28# navy anchors, each with 6' of chain and 120ft of cord, attached to the bow of my 620T will not hold my rig still on a Mille lacs mud flat in 26-28 fow with 3 ft waves...

do your Navy anchors have that plastic over them?

When I lived back in NY we always anchor fished with 2-20 lb navy's and roughly 100 ft of rope in 20-40 fow. Once they started coming out with the plastic coating they stopped hooking up and holding us.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:19 AM
Wallhanger

Another vote for the Waterspike.

Catfishkiller....so that was you dragging anchors across the flat....

It's tough to get a lot of different anchors to hold on the mud. Keep in mind that most of the flats have a layer of "goo" over the top. More like heavy silt. Try anchoring on the relatively harder bottom off the edge of the flat and drifting back onto the flat before the rope tightens.

Also, lay the spike and the chain flat onto the water and back away. Let the anchor hit bottom, keep playing rope and don't pull on it. The farther you get from the anchor the better it'll hook up, since the pull is more in line with the anchor. The more vertical you are to the anchor, the more liable you are to pull the tips free.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:55 PM
Keeper

Default anchor

just bought a chene 7lb. going to Rainey the 13th soft bottom with current let u know