Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
What is the proper speed range for trolling? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 11-24-2012, 04:35 PM
Keeper

Default What is the proper speed range for trolling?

The fish should tell me what is the right speed but I am wondering what is the right range. Last year we were primarily 1.7MPH to 2mph, but in reading I am wondering if we were too fast. How do some of the experienced trollers figure this out?
Old 11-24-2012, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Walleye I would say 1.5 --2.0, but maybe that's too fast at times.
Stick baits are faster than spinners, normally.
Salmon and trout 2.0- 2.75 works for me. Salmon go faster than trout.
Muskie 2.5--4.5 works at times. Depends on your lure.
I have caught many muskies fishing for walleyes.\
So.......
Old 11-24-2012, 04:56 PM
Keeper

Any reason to go slower than 1.5MPH? Anybody know at what point it affects the action of the lure?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 06:24 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnz922 View Post
Any reason to go slower than 1.5MPH? Anybody know at what point it affects the action of the lure?
The colder the water, the slower the speed
Spring time when the water hits 40 deg. I myself would be around 1.2-1.3 with RR's
1.5 is to fast

The current will effect the action on the bait just as much as the speed
So, 1 mph into current could work, were as going with the current you might need 2 mph to get the action
It's best to check the sction and tuning of the bait while setting up
Old 11-24-2012, 06:33 PM
Depends on bait

For eyes: .5 to 3.5 mph Why do so many think you can't troll over 2 mph? I've trolled spoons on Erie up to 3.5 in the summer, and spinners in the early spring at .5 mph
Old 11-24-2012, 07:32 PM
Slot Fish

for bottom bouncers and spinners I am usually 1.0-1.5 mph. slow death under 1.0 mph. but when it doesn't work i'll try lots of different speeds
Old 11-25-2012, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

Somewhere between 0 and 50 mph.

It all depends on the fish, water conditions, lure, etc.

Change your speed, until you catch the fish with the correct lure.

The general speed range is 1-3 mph. But .5 and 5 mph is not out of the question.

If you were to just choose one speed - choose 1.5 mph.

Always check the action of your lure at the speed you are running to be sure that the lure is doing what you want. Always be aware of what is going on at the end of your line. Keep a vigilant eye on your electronics, and be knowledgeable of your lures running depth so that you can keep your lure at the level of the marked fish or a bit above them.

Fish will come up for a bait, but seldom go down for a bait.

Be safe
REW
Old 11-25-2012, 08:01 AM
Wallhanger

I'm talking crankbaits for walleyes here, but in my experience, on some occasions, it make take faster trolling speeds to trigger the fish. Slower works fine most of the time (personnally I like to start at 2 ) but if you're seeing fish and they aren't going for you , try speeding it up a little. I'll bump it up to 2.5 and increase it to 3 or 3.5 and on some days, that's what it takes. It's suprising how often it works. I've never gone faster than 3.5 because I'm always concerned about my cranks blowing out, but maybe I should try faster some days.
Then again, on days when going faster doesn't work, trying going slower.

I'm sure you've heard it before, but instead of trolling in a straight line, zig zag and find out if your inside or outside lines are getting hit on a turn. It'll help give you some kind of a clue about the speed they prefer on a given day or maybe it's just a change in speed. I'm not totally sure but
it's rare when I don't zig zag while trolling cranks because it works. Some days it takes sharp turns too. It can be easy to over analyze why or why not fish are biting but if you find something that works, try to repeat it.

Often, if it is a change in speed that triggers them to bit, an occasional burst of throttle will work too. I think that often walleyes will follow a bait and a burst of speed makes them think their prey is trying to escape, sometimes triggering a bite.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:20 AM
Slot Fish

very good tip on the zig zag, I forgot to mention it in my first post. another thing I do with speed while back trolling is put the motor in neutral for a few seconds, I trigger a lot of hits this way
Old 11-25-2012, 09:24 AM
Keeper

We don't have a kicker motor so most of our trolling is done with our trolling motor which is bow mounted. Still basic principles I am assuming just without the ability to backtroll.