Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Tow Mirror visibility - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 03-18-2015, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Those are the exact mirrors that I have on my '15 2500HD and I think you'll be very pleased with them. I towed a 8.5' wide enclosed snowmobile trailer quite a bit this winter and never even extended them. The truck came in with the standard mirrors (dealer screwed up the order) and I wouldn't have taken the truck if they hadn't changed out the mirrors. I took it home with the standard mirrors and put my slide-in camper in the bed and couldn't see past it. With the towing mirrors it's not a problem. They are worth every penny of the $500.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2015, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

I will post some info when I get them installed, hopefully this weekend.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:11 PM
Keeper

Default you bet

I have them on my 2012 f150 also. I love how you can see the trailer and when merging into traffic or changing lanes you can see next to the truck.
Last year my bone head fishing partner told me to go down a road. got a mile in an here it was a dead end road with no turn around. Those mirrors paid for themselves. I also purchased a GPS so I don't listen to my partners driving directions anymore.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:45 PM
Slot Fish

Without tow mirrors, you might miss the whole picture here. I do like mine quite a bit. The convex portion is really helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0653.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	138386  
Mercury 150 FourStroke - Rev 4 17P Prop
Mercury 9.9 Pro Kicker
Minn Kota Terrova 80lb w/ IPilot
Humminbird Helix 12 SI/GPS - Console
Raymarine Dragonfly 6 - Console
Humminbird Helix 9 Sonar/GPS - Bow
Old 03-18-2015, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

A long time ago, I added the convex mirrors to my Silverado's mirrors. This was before the combo mirrors were available, a small one on the drivers side, and a larger on the passenger side. They really help seeing over to the adjacent lane.

If I really want to see behind the boat, I'll give a quick nudge to the steering wheel, and the space behind becomes very observable, albeit for a quick glance.

Bill
Old 03-18-2015, 08:30 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Krejca View Post
A long time ago, I added the convex mirrors to my Silverado's mirrors. This was before the combo mirrors were available, a small one on the drivers side, and a larger on the passenger side. They really help seeing over to the adjacent lane.

If I really want to see behind the boat, I'll give a quick nudge to the steering wheel, and the space behind becomes very observable, albeit for a quick glance.

Bill
That's what I do now, but after this I think I'll look further into getting the mirrors, thanks all.

Al
Old 03-19-2015, 06:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Krejca View Post

Bill
LOL this is exactly what I used to do, I am hoping to avoid this ASAP, don't need people thinking I have been drinking.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:22 AM
Wallhanger

Even the larger extendable mirrors have limits. I drive a 22' long dually. During the winter my towing mirrors are not extended. In warmer months they are extended all the time because there is a Lance 1050 camper in the box. The lower section of the mirrors is aimed at my rear tires, the larger upper (power adjustable) part is supposed to give me rear/side visibility around the fat fenders. Changing lanes on multi lane streets or interstate highways requires a lot of looking and sometimes mirror adjustment. Little cars don't seem to exist in any mirror or even out my side windows. I just pick the lane I'll need down the road and stay there. Backing into tight spaces is easy unless a pedestrian decides to walk behind >6,000# of backing pickup. I only park in parking lots in a way that allows me to drive out, no backing. I'm not against walking across a lot to a store, just to avoid hassles.
With the mirrors extended, I can only see my boat trailer's tires when the camper is in the box. For boat launching/retrieving I have a front receiver hitch.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

Default Tow Mirrors are in

Installed the tow mirrors this weekend. Only difficult part was getting the door panel back on, kind of fickle.

These are plug and play with my truck, but, since these are made for a 2500 with clearance lights I had to modify the mirror harness to get the amber lights to work. Looking online I just spliced a couple wires together and was in business.

I love the look. Getting in the garage is harder now, but I still have an inch on both sides.

Before and after pics included.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1189[1].jpg
Views:	181
Size:	420.4 KB
ID:	139786   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1190[1].jpg
Views:	176
Size:	304.0 KB
ID:	139794   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1180[1].jpg