Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Humminbird HD screens - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 08-15-2014, 06:55 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggamefisher View Post
Humminbird has had HD units for a few years now. If your asking if there is a difference between an HD unit and a SD unit, the answer is yes. HD much brighter and the detail is sharper. Best test would be, go to a store display and look at each side by side then form your own opinion, IMO difference is night and day.
There is no difference in resolution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2014, 07:24 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassillonBuckeye View Post
There is no difference in resolution.
Never said there was, but along with being brighter the LED backlighting on the HD has crisper images and sharper lines than the CCFL backlighting images on the SD........
Old 08-19-2014, 01:00 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Never said there was, but along with being brighter the LED backlighting on the HD has crisper images and sharper lines than the CCFL backlighting images on the SD........
More lines of resolution is a major misconception but I see what you mean although I'd have to disagree. My 898c SI non HD I have to turn down the brightness as its super bright at night. Plenty bright during the day. I can't imagine needing any brighter. I've never seen them side by side but can't imagine there'd be that much difference. Anyone have any pics of a comparison?
Old 08-19-2014, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

I have a 997, 1197, and a 1198. Never had a problem seeing any of them.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:14 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog View Post
I have a 997, 1197, and a 1198. Never had a problem seeing any of them.

I'm glad.......but no one said they have a problem seeing them.................the HD unit with LED backlighting is brighter and has sharper detail, hands down..............compare them side by side, I know some say they have and can't see any difference.........time to go to the eye doctor guys! LOL
Old 08-19-2014, 03:17 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassillonBuckeye View Post
More lines of resolution is a major misconception but I see what you mean although I'd have to disagree. My 898c SI non HD I have to turn down the brightness as its super bright at night. Plenty bright during the day. I can't imagine needing any brighter. I've never seen them side by side but can't imagine there'd be that much difference. Anyone have any pics of a comparison?
The brighter LED backlight produces sharper images, has nothing to do with the non HD units not being bright enough, sharper image, sharper image, sharper image...........
Old 08-20-2014, 06:19 AM
Wallhanger

After a long day on the water I bring my units up to the cabin and with a soft cloth, warm water and non abrasive dish soap and the screens clean up very easy. Takes off all water spots in no time. Dry with a soft non abrasive towel.

On the water I carry windex wipes for a quick clean if the water spots are getting bad wipe dry with soft paper towel (bounce) and then clean again as stated above afterwards.
Helix 5

It's all fun and games till someone loses a walleye!
Old 08-20-2014, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm glad.......but no one said they have a problem seeing them.................the HD unit with LED backlighting is brighter and has sharper detail, hands down..............compare them side by side, I know some say they have and can't see any difference.........time to go to the eye doctor guys! LOL
I have all 3 on my boat...comparing them side by side is relatively easy. It's not a deal breaker for me.
My eyes are fine..
Old 08-20-2014, 07:23 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog View Post
I have all 3 on my boat...comparing them side by side is relatively easy. It's not a deal breaker for me.
My eyes are fine..
All 3? HD, SD and what other type?
Old 08-21-2014, 10:28 AM
Wallhanger

aren't the hd's easier to see with polarized glasses? thought i was told that by a salesman.(not that he's right.)