Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Need a trailer, where to go - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 03-02-2012, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

Default Need a trailer, where to go

I have a 1990 deep V Tuffy. I want a new trailer for it. I want the oil bath bearings, bunks, either a tuff coat finish or galvanized. The dealer would need to switch the boat from the existing trailer to the new one. Absolutely could not have those crap tires that keep flying apart.

I am open to any suggestions except Simply Fishing Marine in the Twin Cities.

Idea's anybody?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2012, 12:19 AM
Charter Member

Why don't you pick up an eagle.
Take care
REW
Old 03-03-2012, 12:20 AM
Charter Member

Dutchboy,
You can easily switch the trailer your self.
Take both rigs to the water, launch the boat, and winch it back up on your new trailer.

Once the trailer is on the boat, then take it back to the garage and use a jack and wrench as necessary to get all of the bunks or rollers adjusted properly.

good luck
REW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2012, 12:22 AM
Charter Member

Dutchboy,
If your tires are coming apart, there is a reasonable reason that the tires might be overloaded.

When you purchase your new trailer, just make sure that you have a load rating that is about 2000 lbs more than your current trailer. It is surprising how much easier things are, if the trailer has a load capacity with a very nice safety margin above what the trailer is rated to carry.

REW
Old 03-03-2012, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Why don't you pick up an eagle.
Take care
REW
I would consider a Eagle. Thats what I'm asking..........where do you go to buy trailers only without boats on them? Who in the area stocks them?

Old 03-03-2012, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Dutchboy,
You can easily switch the trailer your self.
Take both rigs to the water, launch the boat, and winch it back up on your new trailer.

Once the trailer is on the boat, then take it back to the garage and use a jack and wrench as necessary to get all of the bunks or rollers adjusted properly.

good luck
REW
That don't sound easy to me. I need to get this done sooner rather then later. I'm thinking a dealer will have some sort of lifting system to pick my boat up and off the old trailer and roll the new trailer right under it.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:00 AM
Keeper

Eagle trailer would be the last thing I would ever consider buying. The one that came with my new Lund Explorer in 2003 was the biggest pile of junk. There was a short in the wiring somewhere that I could never find, kept blowing the fuse in my truck. The Spring broke on it at 2 or 3 years old. No I was not over loaded, and it did have the Carlisles on it that blew apart. I believe that Carlise has gotten their act together since that time frame. I thought the construction of the trailer was real nice I just think I had bad luck, which makes me negative about Eagle.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:22 AM
Wallhanger

Smile

Why don`t you call the Tuffy factory and get some advice from them?? On most bunk trailers the bunk brackets are welded on and not adjustable so the trailer company would eather need to know the exact shape of your hull. Or need to have your boat and build the trailer to match. Wiredog
Old 03-04-2012, 01:02 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchboy View Post
I would consider a Eagle. Thats what I'm asking..........where do you go to buy trailers only without boats on them? Who in the area stocks them?
Any marine dealer will sell you a trailer. Depending on the trailer brand,they may or may not have them in stock inventory. Maybe less and less now since many boats are coming as boat and trailer packages from the manufacturer.

Eagle is a custom trailer. You will likely not find a dealer that has these in their inventory stock, other than those already assigned to specific boats they have on order, as they need to be custom made for the specific boat models. TrailMaster is another good brand of custom trailer you may want to consider. You can check their websites to find dealers.

http://www.eagletrailer.com/findadealer.asp#MN

http://www.trailmastertrailers.com/l...ler_dealer.php

If you need one for this upcoming season,you better get on it. Start calling dealers and find one that handles Eagle ,if that's what you want. Or Find a Tuffy dealer and see what they like,they may have a different suggestion,and likely be sourcing trailers from someone that makes them for Tuffy all the time. This time of year they are busy, if you have to order,they will likely take 5-6 weeks.

Also,no need to think about transfering it yourself. The dealer you order from will have the hoists and slings to do it right and do the the final setup and fitting. They do this all the time. They may even take your old trailer off your hands if it needs to be junked.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:47 AM
Wallhanger

Also stay away from EZJunk trailers. I bought one, and it was a big piece of junk.