Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Mercury 60 T or Etec 60 T - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 03-10-2012, 05:43 AM
Wallhanger

Don't get hung up too much on the 2 cylinder vs. the 4-cylinder. Both motors have similar vibrations because each one only has 2 power strokes per revolution, each 180° apart. A 4 stroke only fires every other revolution so the 4 cylinders alternate firing is the same as a 2 cylinder 2-stroke and vibrates close to the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2012, 06:04 AM
Wallhanger

Default Good info

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahorse View Post
Don't get hung up too much on the 2 cylinder vs. the 4-cylinder. Both motors have similar vibrations because each one only has 2 power strokes per revolution, each 180° apart. A 4 stroke only fires every other revolution so the 4 cylinders alternate firing is the same as a 2 cylinder 2-stroke and vibrates close to the same.
Never really thought that about the four cylinder thank you very much seahorse.

My thought was that the four cylinders would be firing at different times off setting recipicating mass of the pistions that wern`t.
What your saying makes perfect sense. I`m sure the counter weight on the crankshafts makes is it a moot point.

So the two cylinder is a boxer engine and the four cylinder fires half as much making it act the same way. one,two,punch!
Both engines would have to be of the same stroke to make a difference.

Wouldn`t there be the offset of the moving parts at various degrees in the four cylinder to make it smoother anyway? (recipicating weight or force of moving pistions.)
I think my answer is no thinking that counter weight on the crank compensates for this.

Last edited by whofan; 03-10-2012 at 06:22 AM.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:30 AM
Wallhanger

I think this is a great video explaining outboards, had to post it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viWhxvo6DLk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2012, 07:43 PM
Minnow

My 2011 Honda 60 weighs in at 260lbs and is lighter than the Etec.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:39 PM
Keeper

I had the same dilema back in Jan when I ordered my new boat. I looked at all the manufactures and they were close in pricing. The area they were not was in warranty. Mercury had or still has a promo offering a two year ext. warranty for a total of five. Unfortunately nowadays almost everything is made in China and I'd be willing to bet that some of Evinrude's parts come from overseas.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:40 AM
Wallhanger

My 2012 60 four stroke Yamaha weighs in at 247# and has a six year warranty from when I purchased it late last fall. Even though I won't be picking it up until April 1st, I will still have five and a half years of warranty left. Right now they are offering five years.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:05 PM
Wallhanger

The Yamaha 4 Stroke 70 weighs in at 260lbs. It has the same displacement as the 60 but has a beefier lower unit so that likely accounts for the weight difference.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:55 PM
Guest3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Canuck View Post
My 2011 Honda 60 weighs in at 260lbs and is lighter than the Etec.
How is 260lbs lighter than 240lbs?
Old 03-12-2012, 09:01 PM
Wallhanger

I priced the Big tiller option for the Merc 60 EFI. It cost a whopping $1036.00 wow!.
I wonder if I would really need it?

Dealer only has the fishawk to look at. I havent seen a Pro Tiller in person. I think the fishhawk will give me a good idea what a Pro Tiller will look like.
The dealer has the Fishhawk 1650 CS with the 60 Merc for $1500 cheaper than what the protiller will cost me with the two options I chose, the big tiller handle and vinyl flooring (North West pakage).

The Fishhawk cs is maxed out at 90hp (not maxed out). The pro tiller will be maxed out with the 60hp.
I think I`ll stick with the tiller, the big rear casting deck on the tiller is a concern, sight unseen.
Thats why I`m opting for the big tiller

Been wondering if the Scotty flush mount bases will work with the narrow gunnels? Wish Crestliner had some sort of track system.

This is my thinking if going with Crestliner.

Last edited by whofan; 03-12-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:17 PM
Minnow

Sorry I was wrong, the Honda BF60 weight is 239lbs, check the honda marine website. LOL 1 Pound lighter, still amazing for a four stroke!!!