Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Beneficial Mistakes - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 04-19-2008, 11:25 AM
Klaas Act - Rich Ziert

Default Beneficial Mistakes

I was getting some rods/reels ready for my first outing of the year and found that I had a Slip Bobber Rig messed up to the point where the line didn't go through the tip top guide. Cutting and re-tying, wondering how that happened, and why in the world I didn't notice it earlier, I had to adjust the rubber bobber stop up the line a little. Because I want to know where the stop is when I start to use the rig, I generally start it at 15 feet. Moving the stop there, I noticed there was another bobber stop already on the reals spool. . . must of been one of those special days when I tied that rig. LOL

Then, I did something dangerous. I started to think ! As long as it doesn't interfere with the Spinning Reels Spool operation, "why not" have 2 stops on the same line ?

When I'm out on the water, and I want to readjust the stop to a different depth, I have to guesstimate it's position based on rod length and move it there. . . this takes time; precious time - at times. With 2 stops, one set at 15 feet and the other at 30 feet - my two most often used depths - I just became a little more "good instead of lucky". I can leave the deepest stop in place more or less permanently, and adjust the shallow stop only, with far more speed and accuracy.

What other beneficial mistakes have all of you run into over the years? I'd really like to read your contributions. I think others will too. They don't even have to be mistakes; just something on the unique side that might help someone else. Thank you.

Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2008, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Default RE: Beneficial Mistakes

Rich,

Get yourself a clip-on icefishing lead depthfinder for setting those slipbobbers. Just attach to line and drop over the side of the boat and then adjust your bobber stop. Quick and painless.. although the double bobberstop will give you a point of reference....just a thought

"Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring, those ripples build a current which can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance."

— Robert F. Kennedy
Old 04-21-2008, 04:29 AM
Keeper

Default RE: Beneficial Mistakes

The finer the line the more apt that second bobber stop on the spool will be to hang up just enough on a good fish running against the drag to break off. It also hangs up on an occasional cast both on the spool itself and in the guides, making longer casts problematic. Once again more of a problem the finer the line.

That higher bobber stop without the bobber works pretty well, however, to mark depth in vertical fishing where casting and/or line strength are not issues, especially where one is sitting over an active bite at a particular depth.