Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Beginner to Tournaments, Would like to Co-Angle - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Old 10-31-2016, 09:46 PM
Slot Fish

Default Beginner to Tournaments, Would like to Co-Angle

Well as the title states, I am a beginner to tournaments, but certainly not to walleye fishing. I would like to try and co angle in a tournament but I have no idea where to start. I have read many of the previous threads about co angling on here, but I have questions more about which tournaments to enter in, than what to expect.

To start, I live in Illinois, so I would like to try and fish a tournament either in Wisconsin or in Michigan. I know the NWT will be in Prarie du Chien next summer, but would that be a good tourney to enter? I feel like I would have a hard time getting in without a pro writing my name in. I have also checked out the AIM tournaments in WI. Can anyone comment on these, and would they be hard to get in as a co as well? I would like to enter into a tournament in the summer as opposed to the spring. Any and all advice welcome! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2016, 05:57 AM
Wallhanger

The AIM and MWC are both team tournaments, So you'd a partner and a boat for those, Both great circuits if you have a partner and a boat,..

The NWT is the only Pro/Co format going at this time, Great circuit as well, Pick a location, sign up, and go!
Old 11-03-2016, 06:45 AM
Slot Fish

Default co angler

I fished as a co-angler for 5 years in walleye tournaments. All I can say is that it was a blast and a disappointment. I have won a tournament and also have come in last place. It is all in the draws you get. If you go into it for the money you more than likely be disappointed. However if you go into it for the experience and fun you will not regret it. I have made many friends and teamed up with one of the top teams. This is where I think I learn the most as I traveled with top named pro and pre fished with them. Many pro's like to have a traveling co to fish with them and share expenses. The NWT is the only walleye circuit I know of that is pro/co. Give it a shot and keep an open mind you'll have fun.
If you have any other questions just ask.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:23 PM
Slot Fish

I fished my first tournament(mwc) in july. I had an open mind going in and didnt know what to expect. My cousin who had fished tourneys said it would be a good experience and it far beyond good. As said previously dont go into it for the money. It's far more than the money. I went through the highest of highs in leading after day 1 to only catching 2 fish and dropping to 6th for the final. Yea they money was nice but the whole experience and the knowledge you gain and people you meet are far more valuable. Be prepared to go through the highest of highs to the lowest of lows. I know one thing, i cant wait until next year to do more.