Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
what lb mono for backing?? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 10-07-2015, 05:08 AM
Wallhanger

I have a bulk spool of 17# that I use for backing on all my reels. but leave enough room for my braid. on my trolling reels I use 150' of backing then 300' of braid. on my spinning reels I just fill the spools about half full then tie my braid with a uni to uni knot. but any mono will work for backing. the backing is used to take up space and keep the braid from slipping on the spool. when I've had to spool reels away from home I just buy cheap 8# or 10# mono and use it for my backing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2015, 05:32 AM
Minnow

M
, I will not only did the first to write you an opportunity. if I could not have the option. if bc0,

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 10-07-2015, 08:58 AM
Keeper

So what I ended up doing was taking some 10 lb mono I had and tying it to one of my line counter reels. Then I reeled 100 foot on the counter tied that to my spinning reel spooled up the 100' of 10 lb mono. Then braid to 10 lb for the rest of the spool. I have never had a reel so full in my life. I thought I was going to lose some line while casting but it worked out great. Casted for a couple hours and trolled a few no Problem what so ever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2015, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

I use 10 lb mono for all reel backing.

Be safe
Old 10-07-2015, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

If you want to be real precise(maybe even a little anal), - take the length of braid you want and reel it on. Then top off with mono backing. Then take it off in the yard and reverse the ends. Perfect amount of line for both lines.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:29 PM
Keeper

This is way having multiple reels of the same model is nice, load one up reverse, note the numbers on the counter, reel it back off onto the next reel and you have your numbers, all reels will be accurate to one another which is the most important part. Being able to replicate a suscessful depth from set up to set up.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:41 PM
cutting edge

I like to use the same diameter backer as the main line braid that I am using (it seems to lay more evenly).
As far as how much, the smaller diameter of the braid, the more mono backer I use (no matter what # test I'm using I always leave room for about 100 yards of braid). I usually buy 300 yard spools of braid, so I use about 100 yards per spool of braid (enough to fill spool 3 times, which will last for a long time & is more than enough braid, considering fishing typically is in 30' or less of water for me much of the time). The way I figure out how much to use is by the line recovery rate of my reel, per handle turn and simply do the math. I never fill my spool completely with braid since I re-spool once my line gets to the point that casting distance is sacrificed (no need to waste expensive braid). Also, you can find out how much line your spool holds per test of mono or braid, once again, it is all simple math to figure it out. This is just my method & I am sure you could do it many other ways, but this works for me.

Good Luck!
Old 10-08-2015, 05:32 PM
Keeper

What kind of a question is this???
What foes it matter?
All your doing is filling space, anything will do, Teflon tape, string, black tape, anything!
Old 10-08-2015, 06:37 PM
Wallhanger

If you are using a double uni knot you want the diameters to be relatively similar. Does that Pfleuger have the "braid ready" type spool? You might not need backer at all?
Old 10-08-2015, 06:39 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman10 View Post
What kind of a question is this???
What foes it matter?
All your doing is filling space, anything will do, Teflon tape, string, black tape, anything!
There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers I think it's a mighty fine questions personally!

Tags
braid mono backing