Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Newby Help - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 03-24-2012, 04:50 PM
Minnow

Default Newby Help

Alright so when you are pulling a "lindy rig" using a foam floater hook (gum drop) with a 1/3 - 1/2 crawler, you feel a bite, release the line and give the fish a 10 count real in the slack and nothing is there but your worm is still on the hook.
The hooks size is a 1/0.
Should I be using a stinger hook, I have fished 3 times this week and have had this happen every time except one that hook a tiny catfish.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2012, 05:20 PM
Wallhanger

Try just dropping the rod back towards the fish without letting any line out. Then pull forward and if you feel the fish set the hook. Isn't the 1/0 a huge hook? I use number 8, 6, 4 and 2's but the 2's are only when I am fishing with a big redtail chub or big shiner minnow. For a crawler I would be using a number 8 or 6 depending on the style of hook.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:52 PM
Minnow

I was thinking about hook size today. I'm going to downsize next time out

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2012, 08:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdo View Post
Alright so when you are pulling a "lindy rig" using a foam floater hook (gum drop) with a 1/3 - 1/2 crawler, you feel a bite, release the line and give the fish a 10 count real in the slack and nothing is there but your worm is still on the hook.
The hooks size is a 1/0.
Should I be using a stinger hook, I have fished 3 times this week and have had this happen every time except one that hook a tiny catfish.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
No need to count to 10. Only do that if you use large minnows as you need to let them get the whole minnow in their mouths. With just a small crawler you can just drop and pop. Maybe try a smaller piece of crawler. Hook size should be fine. Ever see how big a walleyes mouth is? I assume your not fishing for 12"ers. I only use small hooks with leeches. You could also try moving faster and go for more of a reaction bite.
NPAA #499
Old 03-26-2012, 06:22 AM
Wallhanger

Go to YouTube or some other place and watch some video on feeding fish . It is amazing how fish in different moods eat a bait.

If it isn't an agressive reaction bite they inhale the bait most times.
A count to 10 gives them time to spit it out if they detect something they don't like or want ....

I agree ... a drop back with the rod tip ( Point at the fish ) and a sweeping hook set should be all you need most times.

Also try some circle hooks ... you don't need a hook set at all with them ....

I also agree on the size of the hook you are using could be a little in the Large size.

Morton
Old 03-26-2012, 06:29 AM
Wallhanger

Also, what rod are you using?

I prefer a 7'+ ML with an extra fast tip action. Shimano makes a good one and I am sure other brands do also. Just a thought for long sweeping hook sets.

Have Fun!
Old 03-26-2012, 06:41 AM
Wallhanger

I too would avoid the 10 count. I think its best with a long pole 7ft or better just to let the rod drop to the back of the boat and then just have a nice sweep forward. If you need to give the fish an extra pop once you have completed the sweep forward.

The other thing you could have is perch or other panfish pulling on the worm but they are not large enough to take it off or get near the hook. Does the lake you fish have a large panfish population? I have had this happen an boy it make for a long day you think your hitting fish but is the darn panfish trying to take the worm.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:07 AM
Minnow

Thanks for all the tips. NathanH - i wondered about the other fish after I caught a small catfish. I am marking a lot of fish on the bottom in 20+ feet of water. Too bad I'll have to wait until saturday to try all the great tips you guys are giving me.

Thanks for the info and please keep it coming
Old 03-26-2012, 08:11 AM
Wallhanger

Mdo

Sounds like you have a good start. Those smaller fish can cause issues funny upnorth we worry about panfish sounds like you folks have your own trouble makers.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Lots of different choices and approaches to take.

Like stated, go to a 2 hook harness, and pinch off your crawler close to, or at your rear hook.

Downsize your hooks, in effect, making your terminal tackle lighter and more stealthy.

Instead of free spooling the line, keep a minor amount of pressure on the fish, in effect making them compete for their food. Remember they are predators. It can be a fine line between making them compete, and letting them win the competition, as compared to beating them.

Funny as it may sound - is one thing you could do different is fish somewhere with larger fish. Most larger fish are more efficient at inhaling the whole thing in one flex of their gills. You could just say - it was a small fish anyway...