Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Do you have a routine in Canada? - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 03-25-2012, 01:44 PM
Keeper

I too agree with the general idea of having a loose agenda on vacation, but when you have a larger group like ours (usually about 10 guys) in one cabin and five boats, you sorta have to at least have set meal times if the plan is to eat together. Especially if each boat does it's own thing and fishes different parts of the lake. You can get out of walkie talkie range in a hurry on those lakes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2012, 07:49 PM
Wallhanger

Smile

our routine is fish, eat, sleep.....repeat.

2020 Lund 1975 Pro-V
225 Mercury 15 Mercury
Ulterra 112 I Pilot Link MDI
Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA+ SI (2)
Humminbird 360
Old 03-27-2012, 08:54 PM
Keeper

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Eagle View Post
I've met a lot of nice pike between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. Would not consider stopping for a meal during those hours. Eating a cold fish sandwich on the move is my idea of eating lunch. Also it's hard to leave during the evening walleye bite. Walleyes don't belong to a union. They work all night at hunting a meal.

Most of our fish cleaning and fish frying are done after dark.

Going out really early in the morning is rewarding, but not the greatest time for catching. At least that's my experience in NW Ontario.
I still can't help from being the first one up everyday and drinking a pot of coffee before you even think about getting up lol

Yes I'm looking forward to the late evening dinners again reel soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2012, 10:33 AM
Minnow

Our group (usually about 9) is made up of mostly retired men. We have a couple who are early risers. They get up at about 5:30 - 6:00 and put the coffee on. At about 6:30, breakfast is started and people start rolling out of bed. By 7:30 the breakfast dishes are done and the shore lunch kit is packed and ready to go. For the next half-hour, there is a line at the john for those who need to "do their thing". At 8 we head out to the boat landing. Usually fishing by 9, depending on where we go. We stay near Sioux Lookout and fish a different lake every day for a week. We will hit a certain lake twice in a week. Always have shore lunch at noon! By 5 we are back to the boat landing and are having happy hour by 5:30 - 6:00. Eat dinner at 6:30 - 7:00 and are in the sack by 10:00. Some go to bed earlier. Some stay up later. Shore lunch and happy hour are never missed!
Old 03-28-2012, 11:31 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whopper View Post
I still can't help from being the first one up everyday and drinking a pot of coffee before you even think about getting up lol

Yes I'm looking forward to the late evening dinners again reel soon

We'll do it in 42 days.

You need to see your urologist about that problem. A little extra sleep would do you good. My body needs sleep time to heal.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:49 AM
Wallhanger

Our group is a mixed bag of hard core fishermen and guys who go to get away.

We are pretty flexible on schedule.

A few nights we do not go out after dinner and play cards or sit around the camp fire.

Most days start early, coffee is pre made in pot and the first one up in AM will turn on the burner. A quick breakfast, cereal or toast and off to the lake.

Our guys only trips are at rather large lakes and we usually deceide to fish in the same general area each day to keep in touch and to see how everyone else is doing.

When the family is along, I fish a few days real early by myself for an hour or two. I will make arrangements with my son and daughter to take them out at least one morning. We alos make it a day where my long time friend and myself will go out to fish and get caught up on life in general. This is usually a good time.

Now you guys have ruined my Friday afternoon concentration at work.

Alumacraft 175 Sport Limited package
Mercury 115 4 Stroke
Lowrance Elite 7
Garmin EchoMap Plus 93SV
Minn Kota Terrova iPilot
Eagle Bunk Trailer
Old 03-30-2012, 06:44 PM
Minnow

I am Canadian (Windsor so I am practically American) When the boys go up north the routine go like this

6am the guys who aren't to hungover have coffee and toast
6:30-10:00 try the morning Walleye bite then give up and catch Pike
10:00 the bums who couldn't get out of bed have a big hot breakfast ready for the fishermen. Bacon, eggs, toast, hashbrowns
10:30-2:00 relax and have a few cold ones on the deck
2:00-5:00 fish for Pike and Muskie all afternoon
5:00 have a massive Dinner (we eat good on the guys trip)
6:30-9:00 A few guys head out for the night bite, most just start a fire and get drunk
9:00-12:00 beer, whisky, poker, cigars and a few tiny cigarettes....
Start all over the next day
LOVE THIS THREAD BY THE WAY!!!!
Old 03-31-2012, 04:56 PM
Wallhanger

Our trip goes like this.
We typically arrive in camp between 10:00am and noon. Offload and help reload the plane. Do the camp inspection thing with the pilot all the while questioning the prior party in camp on how their week went. How was the weather and what kind of success did you have sort of thing? After setting up camp, we throw some brats on the grill and eat em with our homemade mustard and horseradish pickles. Then on to the lake around 1:00 to catch walleye for the first night fish fry. Off the lake around 7:30-8:00. The fillet guys get busy and my brother and I start in the kitchen. First night fry is relatively easy so we prepare huge batches of cold pasta salad and our kicked up recipe of baked beans. We keep this available in fridge for the rest of the weeks lunches. Eat and have a few cold ones and I try to get to bed by midnight after the pitch game.

Up at 6:00 with coffee on. Breakfast has gone to a lighter fare for us, fresh fruit, yogurt and granola on paper plates. Will do the big egg and sausage thing on fly-out day and a pecan/banana pancake on a cool or rainy morning if we are not too mad at the fish. After breakfast when we complete our morning chores, we meet as a group at the dock. We have what we call "dock devotions". One of us will prepare a morning devotion ahead of time and pontificate on the dock as the rest of us listen from our respective boats. Seems to put the day in perspective while giving the glory where its due.
We try to pull out around 7:30-8:00 and fish hard till 1:00 and its either shore lunch or camp lunch always consisting of walleye.
If its a cold day, we will have either Walleye Chowder or the Blue Cheese Linguine with Buffalo Walleye that I make. Nice warm days are fried walleye. Back on the lake around 3:00 and fish hard to 8:00. At this point nothing really varies but the nightly menu. Second night is Smoked Pork Chops with asparagus drenched with hollandaise sauce with sweet taters. Third nights menu is Con Pollo linguine with lots of grilled peppers and mushrooms. Forth night is what I call flavor burgers with a foil pack thrown on with course chopped onions, butter, crumbled bacon, and blue cheese. We make Fettuccine Alfredo with this. On the last night I will grill up a whole tenderloin. Baked potatoes prepped and put into the oven on low is a side. Also, most every night, we serve salad or cottage cheese.
On the fly-out day, we drag the boats up and scrub them out, we mop out the floors, clean the stove and oven and always try to leave the outpost camp in better condition than when we arrived.
We eat like kings, party like rock stars while always being respectful to the lake and the amazing resource that we all have come to love.
Yea, I've got a routine in Canada and it works pretty good!
Old 03-31-2012, 05:56 PM
Minnow

We eat like kings, party like rock stars while always being respectful to the lake and the amazing resource that we all have come to love.

Pikeslayer; I've never heard it said any better!

Last edited by djarz929; 03-31-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:30 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by djarz929 View Post

Pikeslayer; I've never heard it said any better!
Thank you!

And only 63 days to go. But who's countin around here.