Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Home Grown Tackle:The Wonderful World of Jig's - Page 31 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Home Grown Tackle > HGT Archives

Old 02-16-2012, 04:58 AM
Wallhanger

Location: Philadelphia PA Suburbs/The mighty Delaware/A dirty beach in Jersey

OK I got another question,and boy howdy it's a stupid one

So I bought some Marabou and I want to try tying it on my jig's.
Here's the question-------------------------------------------
Do I tie it the same way as I tie on bucktail?,do I mix it with bucktail?Do I want to tie on allot?Or a little?Please help moron mode has overtaken me and I can't seem to do this....

Please post pictures of Marabou jig's for the slow of mind like me need pictures them word things are just to hard to follow!!!!!!

FC
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2012, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

Just tear off some plumes from the quill (if you include the quill in the tie, it may retard the action, unless you want it stiffer), and just tie the butts down with several turns of thread. A liberal amount of the marabou may be used or very little. I normally prefer a smaller bunch rather than thicker. some strands of flash may be added for some shine. Adding buck-tail would restrict the marabou's action.

A little trivia - marabou feathers for tackle tying used to come from the marabou stork in Africa, until sometime ago the bird was considered an endangered species. Today's feathers come from white turkeys, which are dyed in various colors.

Bill Krejca
Old 02-16-2012, 09:26 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Krejca View Post
Just tear off some plumes from the quill (if you include the quill in the tie, it may retard the action, unless you want it stiffer), and just tie the butts down with several turns of thread. A liberal amount of the marabou may be used or very little. I normally prefer a smaller bunch rather than thicker. some strands of flash may be added for some shine. Adding buck-tail would restrict the marabou's action.

A little trivia - marabou feathers for tackle tying used to come from the marabou stork in Africa, until sometime ago the bird was considered an endangered species. Today's feathers come from white turkeys, which are dyed in various colors.

Bill Krejca
Bill you the man I'm gonna tie some today!

FC
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2012, 09:37 AM
Keeper

Default Marabou tying

One thing that might help with tying marabou is to wet it before tying i don't always do it but it is help full for keeping floating back wards I think I said that right.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:06 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer Boy View Post
One thing that might help with tying marabou is to wet it before tying i don't always do it but it is help full for keeping floating back wards I think I said that right.
with water?

FC
Old 02-16-2012, 10:58 AM
Slot Fish

Default jig eyes

I like to use a paint pen (white) to make the eye then finish with a sharpie. This pic is a white background with stick on eye over it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4171.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	533.9 KB
ID:	13690  
Old 02-16-2012, 03:33 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishincrazy View Post
with water?

FC
Yes
Old 02-16-2012, 03:35 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb027 View Post
I like to use a paint pen (white) to make the eye then finish with a sharpie. This pic is a white background with stick on eye over it.
B027 that looks totally cool!!!!

FC
Old 02-16-2012, 10:04 PM
Keeper

I buy the marabou bunches that are threaded into a threaded string. These are the tips of marabou feathers. They are all the same length and have a tiny spine down the middle. Don't buy the large individual marabou feathers. I pull off a small portion (about 2 times the size of wooden match) and pass the marabou between my lips to slick it down a little. I then add that small bunch to the top of the hook. If it's for the bottom of the hook, I just rotate my fly tying vise. While holding the bunch of marabou feathers so that I have the right length from the head of the jig, I pass the tying thread 2 times around the hook shank and the marabou by slipping the thread under my thumb and then under my finger on the other side of the hook shank. After the 2 turns, I pull down with the thread to lock the bunch in place so that it does not roll over to the far side. I add a couple of turns of thread and let the bobbin of thread hang. You can add a few more turns until you add another bunch of marabou and just before applying the other bunch, you can unwind the thread a few turns in order to keep the number of turns of thread to a minimum. If you want to add different colours of marabou, it is imperative that your little bunches of marabou stay put and not spread out or rotate around the hook shank. When you add 3 or 4 bunches of marabou, a few bunches of flashabou etc etc, you can get a large build up of thread so the unwinding trick is useful. Use a strong thread. If you are really heavy handed, you can use thread for winding line guides on rods.

Don't forget to put a good tight layer of thread on the hook shank where the hair and feathers will be added.

Check the internet for some basic fly tying techniques. The technique of adding feathers or hair to a hook shank is the first lesson. This technique remains exactly the same for all fly tying tasks.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:52 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabluz View Post
I buy the marabou bunches that are threaded into a threaded string. These are the tips of marabou feathers. They are all the same length and have a tiny spine down the middle. Don't buy the large individual marabou feathers. I pull off a small portion (about 2 times the size of wooden match) and pass the marabou between my lips to slick it down a little. I then add that small bunch to the top of the hook. If it's for the bottom of the hook, I just rotate my fly tying vise. While holding the bunch of marabou feathers so that I have the right length from the head of the jig, I pass the tying thread 2 times around the hook shank and the marabou by slipping the thread under my thumb and then under my finger on the other side of the hook shank. After the 2 turns, I pull down with the thread to lock the bunch in place so that it does not roll over to the far side. I add a couple of turns of thread and let the bobbin of thread hang. You can add a few more turns until you add another bunch of marabou and just before applying the other bunch, you can unwind the thread a few turns in order to keep the number of turns of thread to a minimum. If you want to add different colours of marabou, it is imperative that your little bunches of marabou stay put and not spread out or rotate around the hook shank. When you add 3 or 4 bunches of marabou, a few bunches of flashabou etc etc, you can get a large build up of thread so the unwinding trick is useful. Use a strong thread. If you are really heavy handed, you can use thread for winding line guides on rods.

Don't forget to put a good tight layer of thread on the hook shank where the hair and feathers will be added.

Check the internet for some basic fly tying techniques. The technique of adding feathers or hair to a hook shank is the first lesson. This technique remains exactly the same for all fly tying tasks.
Nice I tied up a bunch last night it was easy!!!

FC