Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Anyone try a 4 blade prop on a Johnson/Suzuki DF 140 - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Notices

Old 05-21-2017, 06:02 AM
Slot Fish

I have a Zuke 115 on a 20ft. Excel Bay pro. The 14 x 19 was perfect till I raised the engine 2 holes. Then it would over rev easily. I just put on a 14 x 21 but haven't tried it yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2017, 07:06 AM
Keeper

Default mounting

I assume you meant bottom hole. Mine was in the middle hole or 3rd down. If I remember correct the 140 has 5 mounting holes. My current Etec 150 is in the second hole ( 4 holes). The cavitation plate is one inch up from bottom. Prop does not blow out. Could go one hole higher. Took photo of cavitation plate at 5000 rpms all the way trimmed up. It was clearly visible but front end had water running over it. Showed photo to dealer and he said it was perfect. Probably will not raise motor as I do not have a water pressure gauge.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:55 AM
Minnow

Correct bottom hole or far up as you can go with the outboard.

Old 05-21-2017, 07:23 PM
Wallhanger

I have an '05 Johnzuki 140 on an '05 Crestliner CMV...it had an aluminum 20p prop on it when I got it.

Right now it's got a PowerTech 20p Stainless (a supposed direct swap for the Suzuki props) and I have a 21p PowerTech as well. Both are LNR3 models.

The motor is in the 2nd hole from the bottom, everything works great. I never have the prop blow out, but my boat is pretty different from yours.

I run the 20p when I'm pulling a tube...but not sure if I'm doing it aggressively or not. Prolly not.

Add PowerTech to your list of props that will work and keep looking, you'll find something...but I do believe that the advice to stick with props designed for Suzuki motors is good - the different gear ratio really impacts the equation: http://www.ptpropeller.com/content-c..._60_140hp.html
Old 05-22-2017, 07:16 AM
Wallhanger

The rap on Powertech props is there is a lot a variation between props of identical size. In other words no 2 props are alike and identical size props run at different RPM at WOT. If you go this route plan to have the prop reworked and optimized for your setup. But you should plan to do that anyway with any prop. It is unlikely but lucky if a new prop will be optimal for your rig right off the shelf. You should be running at 6200 at WOT for optimum performance with the 140.

Powertech also makes the LNR4 which is a 4 blade. Here is one on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Tech-4...5ZF04Z&vxp=mtr. probably too much pitch for your rig as I expect you will need to drop to about 18" pitch with a 4 blade.

I run a 14 x 20 Stiletto on my 140. Bought a brand new one last year as backup on eBay last year for $160. FYI Stilettos are almost impossible to find anymore because production ended 2 years ago. Here is a tip: Turbo 1 is the exact same prop made at the same plant as the Stiletto. Turbo 1 was marketed as the "upscale" version of the economy Stiletto at a higher price. Since Yamaha bought Precision Props, Yamaha dumped the Stiletto brand because of limited plant production capacity.

By the way, if you buy a Suzuki branded prop you are likely buying a Precision prop identical and rebranded Stiletto/Turbo 1 but with a premium 50% price upcharge.

When shopping for a prop for the 140 you need a 15 spline with 4 1/4 " hub.

Last edited by DW; 05-22-2017 at 07:26 AM.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:22 PM
Minnow

I did some searching and it seems with my boat size the 14x20 SS prop it the most used on the older df140 and the 14x22 is more common on the newer df140 after the change in gear ratio. Most people use the suzuki/stilletto prop a few using the solas ss props.

That being said I called a place that deals in Suzuki's and said to try a power tech 14x18x3. He said a switch to a PTR 14x19 should drop the rpm 200 so a 14x18 would be a better match. With most 18' boats using the 14x20 I guess at this point it's anyone's best guess to find the right prop on the first try. I will keep an eye on eBay for something to try at a price I won't loose a bunch of money on if it doesn't work.

Any one use a Solas with good results?
Old 05-22-2017, 07:56 PM
Wallhanger

I ran a 14 x 20 Stiletto on my Johnsuki and it was a perfect fit. As expected, when I repowered with a DF140a the new engine ran too fast due to the gear ratio. I asked a prop man to reduce WOT by 300 RPM and when I got it back I got what I asked for.

The point is you can spend a bankroll trying to get a prop that runs perfectly and not find it. For about $125 take a prop that is in the ballpark, have it reworked and get the perfect prop.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:53 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW View Post
I ran a 14 x 20 Stiletto on my Johnsuki and it was a perfect fit. As expected, when I repowered with a DF140a the new engine ran too fast due to the gear ratio. I asked a prop man to reduce WOT by 300 RPM and when I got it back I got what I asked for.

The point is you can spend a bankroll trying to get a prop that runs perfectly and not find it. For about $125 take a prop that is in the ballpark, have it reworked and get the perfect prop.
Thanks for the information. Do you have a recommendation of a good prop shop to deal with?
Old 05-23-2017, 06:14 AM
Wallhanger

I had mine done in Florida. For someone closer do a search on this forum for ideas. The Propman at BrainerdProps.com is the place most recommended.