Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Terrova - Onboard Charger - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 02-21-2012, 04:07 PM
Keeper

Default Terrova - Onboard Charger

I just received my new Terrova with IPiot. In the installation manual it states that I must use a Minkota battery charger with the Universal Sonar or I could burn the unit out. I have a Maxum on their now and have never had an issue. Any thoughts on if this is just marketing or for real. This is a 24V system and has worked well so far but is not a Minkota. I have not hooked the new motor up yet. Thoughts?
Old 02-21-2012, 04:13 PM
Wallhanger

Use any onboard charger you want. Be sure to unplug the motor while you are charging and you will be fine.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:24 PM
Wallhanger

It is awful ironic they state that you can't charge your batteries with the trolling motor plugged in. Then they advertise that using there charger does not require unplugging the motor. Huh

Yes, Buy what ever charger you want and for peace of mind unplug your motor during recharge.

I know guys that never unplug with off brand chargers and have had no problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2012, 05:01 PM
Keeper

I would unplug the motor before charging. The first summer I had mine, while charging in Canada the gps part was fried form leaving the motor plugged in. I took the unit to motor clinic and they replaced it. They said by leaving it plugged in you are risking frying part of the unit.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:20 PM
Slot Fish

That's an interesting issue. My understanding is that when the Terrova is in the cradle (as opposed to being deployed) that there is no power going to it. A simple circuit protector should be able to avoid any rogue voltage from the charger.

It would be great to get a clarification from them on the requirement of one of their chargers.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

Another very good reason to unplug the charger is lightning.

If a storm comes through the area and hits an electric line and the charge runs down the electric line to the charger, the high voltage can ripple on through the charger to the motor.

But, if you always unplug the motor before charging, you will never have the issue.

I have had two chargers get burned out because of a lightning hit in the area while charging. In each case the trolling motor was unplugged, so there was no damage to the trolling motor. Because the surge was momentary and burned out the charger on the way through, there also was no damage to the batteries.

Take care
REW
Old 02-21-2012, 07:35 PM
Wallhanger

Just got my Terrova today. The way I understood this was that they didn't want you using the cranking battery in the chain with the trolling motor. If you re-read it in that context it makes sense as it mentions an Alternator style charging cycle.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Another very good reason to unplug the charger is lightning.

If a storm comes through the area and hits an electric line and the charge runs down the electric line to the charger, the high voltage can ripple on through the charger to the motor.

But, if you always unplug the motor before charging, you will never have the issue.

I have had two chargers get burned out because of a lightning hit in the area while charging. In each case the trolling motor was unplugged, so there was no damage to the trolling motor. Because the surge was momentary and burned out the charger on the way through, there also was no damage to the batteries.

Take care
REW

Rew,

I've had 2 chargers take a hit in lightning storms also. The 2nd storm took out the garage door opener on my storage shed also. Ever try to get into a garage with a opener on it that is fried? NOT FUN
Old 02-21-2012, 10:42 PM
Wallhanger

Sounds bogus to me. The sonar transducer should be electrically isolated from the motor and only connected to the depth finder.

The motor controller could be fried by a bad charger or a lightning strike if the motor is plugged in.

Jerry
Old 02-22-2012, 06:04 AM
Keeper

Thanks guys for all the feedback. Good stuff. As a point of clarification this warning was in the supplemental booklet covering Universal Sonar boat wiring. The reference states "ONLY Minn Kota brand alternator type charging systems can be used to recharge the deep cycle batteries connected to a Minn Kota US2 motor". It goes on to say most other types of chargers have a connection to the negative post of the cranking battery.