Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
best puppy - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Hunting Dogs and dogs in general

Old 07-14-2014, 08:33 AM
Slot Fish

If you've got the energy I'd vote lab (any color). They are full of piss and vinegar though. Best part for me is the kids could probably ride her like a pony while poking her eyes and stepping on her tail and she just keeps chugging. Mines 4 now and starting to settle down. One time the kid must have been bugging her too much because she just rolled over on top of him to say that's enough of that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2014, 09:53 AM
Keeper

I'm bias to the Braque Francais, mostly because i have a couple of them

Great temperament similar to a lab, soft breed so if you like to yell a lot they won't like you, put them in the field and they have the energy of the GSP.

average size for a male is 50lbs and females in the 40's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0096.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	309.8 KB
ID:	100473  
Old 07-20-2014, 10:38 AM
Wallhanger

I love labs, however I am allergic to dander so we got a Maltese which doesn't listen, does what she wants and is a pain in my ash. Wife's dog btw. Sitting beside me right now while I type this out. Lol. I call her cat dog, she licks me all the time and doesn't listen so pretty much a cat.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:52 PM
Keeper

Sounds like you're in the market for an Austrailian Cattle Dog. Tough, durable, smart as a whip, easy to train and very loving, loyal dogs.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Dog personalities vary more by individual than by breed in most cases. You can either roll the dice like I do and get them at 7 weeks or wait to find one older that shows its behavior and intelligence. I have a very good golden. Good hunter but the burs were a problem. She is retired now. My youngest dog is a Pudelpointer.
Based on this ones demeanor I would never get another one but I'm sure there are some shining examples out there. I've seen super examples of every hunting breed. Friendly and intelligent. Also seen hyper stupid ones.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:23 PM
Keeper

Not sure what the OP's parameters are. I've got a 6 year old goldendoodle, and she's the best dog I've ever had. Very smart and extremely friendly, almost too friendly because she goes nuts whenever she sees a friend. Soft hearted and doesn't take to yelling, but we haven't really had to. We see no shedding other than the occasional small clump of hair that can be picked up without a vacuum, but does need to be groomed every 6 to 8 weeks, maybe every 4 during summer.

Hunting is a little tough because of how badly the burrs stick in that fur. Have to have her shaved almost bald to make it manageable.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:14 PM
Wallhanger

Someone mentioned the age of the puppy when adopted.
There is a hunting cocker spaniel breeder near Bismarck/Mandan that keeps the puppies with their mother until they are 12 weeks old. Most kennels want to be rid of the pups at 8 weeks to avoid expenses. Since his sell for $1600 each, he's less concerned with overhead.
We tried that age with our last dog (lab/springer cross). The owner of the mother said the pups got quite an education in dog manners and attached to human company in a major way in weeks 9-12.
I vaguely recall an article in an outdoor magazine that quoted a puppy study by a Canadian bird hunter, dog breeder, and animal behavior professor. That study, which was published in animal behavior journals, stressed the importance of puppies being with their mother for 12 weeks. Mom loses patience with their juvenile behavior, and the puppies mature enough that separation from the mother isn't a traumatic event.
If you can talk a breeder into a 12 week old pup, you'll become a believer.