Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Anyone from Arizona make the long trek? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 05-01-2012, 06:47 PM
Wallhanger

Default Anyone from Arizona make the long trek?

Wondering if anyone else from Arizona or the southwest makes the trek year after year back to Lac Seul or NW Ontario fishing grounds? Curious if you drive or fly, where you fly into, rent a vehicle, trailer your boat etc.

Every year as the airline prices go up I've been thinking that if I am going to pay that kind of money I might as well drive and trailer my boat. Plus the fact that I keep hearing about the smaller airport hubs that are on the list of potentially being shutdown. I can't seem to get the wife to agree to letting me drive by myself. She just doesn't understand the whole macho thing about a man and his machine.

I don't have another person to share the driving with so I understand her point of view that it would be a LONG drive up there. Thoughts/comments? Pro's and Cons? My ears are open......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2012, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Default larry s

i think you'll hear from larry s who lives in henderson nevada and is a regular on our trips to NW ontario. take a look at our kearns lake report from last year (search: kearns lake) and you'll see how well he juggles walleye!!!

he drives the long distance (the rest of us drive from SW PA and we always do 10 day trips so it makes the longer drive more worthwhile.

phish
Old 05-01-2012, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

Default Fly & meet a friend or two ?

I hear you about the long drive.....I have a buddy or two from Eastern Ohio that will join me on some of my drives to north of Int'l Falls and we go up to Cedar Lake (Perrault area), for about a 24 hour drive (one-way) and pull a boat....

On other occasions when I'm by myself, I'll fly to my brother's home in Milwaukee and we'll drive up together and pull up his rig.

I don't know how old you are, and how much time you would have to drive up and back....if you're in good health, and don't have to push to get up and back; then going by yourself (with a good cell phone and AAA) wouldn't be bad (at least not for me - I enjoy a good drive).

Do you have any friends that could pick you up at a Chicago, Milwaukee or Twin City's
airport, and you go into camp with them ?

Our group heads up for the opener in just a few weeks, so we're counting down the days.....and as Phish noted, we also go into camp for a long week.

Best wishes on your travels....no matter how you head north....to "God's Country" !

Rich B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2012, 07:32 PM
Wallhanger

Thanks guys. Each year the group (family) I go with is diminishing in numbers and the cost keeps rising. Some of them are retiring or already retired. None of them are interested in driving.
I swore up and down last year that no matter what.... if I could still afford to go, my son and I would return. Each year just seems to get a little harder to coordinate. Besides my son I am the youngest one at 39 and usually the one trying to put everything together.
This year I am going with part of the family that I married into because I couldnt get enough of my family in Arizona to commit. My in-laws (really good folk) live in Rochester MN so I am flying to MSP with my older boy and driving/riding in with them. I'm in good health, could definately take two weeks or more from my job if needed and I know I could make the drive I just can't seem to convince the wife. LOL
Old 05-01-2012, 07:39 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishfearme View Post
i think you'll hear from larry s who lives in henderson nevada and is a regular on our trips to NW ontario. take a look at our kearns lake report from last year (search: kearns lake) and you'll see how well he juggles walleye!!!

he drives the long distance (the rest of us drive from SW PA and we always do 10 day trips so it makes the longer drive more worthwhile.

phish
Nice report on Kearns lake and even nicer fish-Phish !
Old 05-01-2012, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

Default Long Drive

Rnnomt I live in Henderson,Nevada since 1998. Have gone once or twice a year by variousmethods of Transportation to Canada.

I've been semi-retired since 2011. Prior to 2011 I would either fly to Chicago, meet friends there,and drive with them to Ontario. Or take the vacation time and drive to Chicago,then go to Ontario.By driving I can visit my sister in wisconsin and other relatives in Ill & Wis.

Being semi-retired now I can take my time & also take more fishing gear to do a side fishing trip before we go on a fly-in with my friends from Pittsburgh(phishfearme). The guys from Pittsburgh usually fly to Minneapolis,while one of their group will drive with all their gear & food.We meet in Mpls We also do 10 day trips on our fly-ins. This year from June 26th to July 6th

As Phish said I'm a good juggler of walleye,his picture proves it.I've also been a good luck partner for him,as he has caught his largest walleye 29 1/2 inches ,and pike 41 inches with me in the boat as his partner

Rich if you have the time & money taking your own boat is a good thing for fishing Lac Seul. Many of the lodges do have great boats,but you know your own boat and its great to use your own gear.

Rnnomt have a good time any time in canada puts years on your life. Larry S
Old 05-01-2012, 09:53 PM
Keeper

Default AZ person too!

I live in Chandler, AZ. I have made the trip up to NW Ontario 4 times over the last couple of years. You are correct that the travel is a total pain and $$. BUT well worth the effort to get to God's country! We have never driven and never will since it just would take too long to drive and then fish and miss too much time off of work. Our regular trip involves flying to MSP. We try to take Southwest Airlines since they don't charge for bags. Sun Country used to have some good deals but never used them and can't remember if they are still in business? Once we go into MSP we rent a van, drive 2.5 hours to Duluth spend the night then make the 8.5 hour drive into the fishing resort. On the way back we drive straight thru to the airport! My group includes me, my Dad, and my brother. I am pretty frugal and try my best to get the best airfare locked in early and look for deals on the rental van or SUV. Of course gas prices have added extra $$ the last few years. PM me if you would like more info. Maybe we can make a trip up together sometime.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:27 AM
Minnow

i make the trip from washington state...its a really nice drive takes about 26 hrs to kenora but well worth it..a **** of alot cheaper than flying
Old 05-02-2012, 05:07 AM
Slot Fish

We drive to LOW from Vermont - 1500 miles. We spend one night in a motel about half way there. Two pickup trucks each towing a boat.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:31 AM
Wallhanger

1465 miles, one way for me to Red Lake, Ontario. I make it 2-4 times a year and usually go solo for my October trip. I go in when there's a seat for me on a float plane and come out when I'm ready.

Drove up only 3 times in 2011, but spent 35 days on the water. August trip to Kenora was a bit shorter.