Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Pro-am tourny rule question - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Old 01-18-2004, 08:07 PM
Wallhanger

Default RE: Pro-am tourny rule question

Steve, Thanks. You answered my question that this rule is used more for Guide prevention. I understand it's intent better now. For those who I apparently drove a big Spike through your eye sockets judging from a few of the replies, I'm sorry. I didn't understand the basis of the rule. Geeeeezzzz!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2004, 08:07 PM
Wallhanger

Steve, Thanks. You answered my question that this rule is used more for Guide prevention. I understand it's intent better now. For those who I apparently drove a big Spike through your eye sockets judging from a few of the replies, I'm sorry. I didn't understand the basis of the rule. Geeeeezzzz!!!!!!
Old 01-18-2004, 08:09 PM
clarify

Juls,

We should clarify your statement "the co can share anything...". That's only true in the RCL. The PWT, the am can't give any info at all.

Trophy, I can see why you might think the rule is BS, until you look at the reason for it. It's whole purpose is so that the info that an am gains with a pro on one day, can't be shared with another pro on a different day. When the PWT derived the Pro/Am format, the only way the pros would go for it was to have a rule that the ams couldn't share other pros info. It's difficult to enforce the rule if you say the am can share, as long as it's not another pros info. The PWT, and the advisory council, decided it would be easier to enforce a rule that says the am can not share any info at all.

Also, it puts more pressure on the pro if he's got someone in the back of the boat constantly second guessing him (out load). The pro already has a game plan, he'd have to be a big gambler to do what his am tells him to do...if the pro hasn't pre-fished that program.

You might try entering a few tournaments on the pro side, and I think you'll see what I mean.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2004, 08:09 PM
clarify

Juls,

We should clarify your statement "the co can share anything...". That's only true in the RCL. The PWT, the am can't give any info at all.

Trophy, I can see why you might think the rule is BS, until you look at the reason for it. It's whole purpose is so that the info that an am gains with a pro on one day, can't be shared with another pro on a different day. When the PWT derived the Pro/Am format, the only way the pros would go for it was to have a rule that the ams couldn't share other pros info. It's difficult to enforce the rule if you say the am can share, as long as it's not another pros info. The PWT, and the advisory council, decided it would be easier to enforce a rule that says the am can not share any info at all.

Also, it puts more pressure on the pro if he's got someone in the back of the boat constantly second guessing him (out load). The pro already has a game plan, he'd have to be a big gambler to do what his am tells him to do...if the pro hasn't pre-fished that program.

You might try entering a few tournaments on the pro side, and I think you'll see what I mean.

Old 01-18-2004, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

Hey Trophy,it's the middle of winter some people get a little goofy this time of year......LOL
Old 01-18-2004, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

Hey Trophy,it's the middle of winter some people get a little goofy this time of year......LOL
Old 01-18-2004, 10:21 PM
Minnow

The RCL made it quite clear through answered questions and through a public explanation at a pre-tourney meeting last year that a co-angler is free to offer any information that he or she did not receive from A PRO they fished with previous days of that tourney. In other words the first day there are no restrictions. Beyond that if it is something you found on your own it is still fair game.

Then it is the pro's call to decide whether to use it or not. You will
find more than one pro in the RCL that will listen to what you have to say and glean from it what their experience,(most have a lot of experience ), tells them is of value. I have been fishing more than 45 years, and I would be lying if I said I didn't learn a lot of things each day out with different PROs. Some things to do, some things never to do.

I really think the way to approach this situation is to listen and learn, by asking questions and only offering when it is the only obvious thing to do. I charge $200 a day for a guide trip for one over here in Wisconsin. I or anyone can enter an RCL event as a co-angler for $500. That means in the worst scenario it only cost me $50. more a day, I get to meet and great some of the best, have a nice meal, learn new water and tactics from someone else. Then if I finish in the top fifty (50) I get my entry back, and top 20 only gets better. First place is fantastic. If I get a shot at the big money at the championship hey well you see the picture.

Yes I know there are motels and meals and Gas money for the PRO, but
most of my guide customers stay in a motel and tip so it all evens out. If you want an even more incredible deal check out the RCL League, Or if you like the Bass thing the BFL.... both $75 for a co-angler. Unbelievable.

So I guess what I'm saying is if the Pro uses legal info you offer great and if not you still get a great deal and new info. If it just doesn't seem right, and you can't stand the luck of the draw thing, then the only way to go is PRO.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:21 PM
Minnow

The RCL made it quite clear through answered questions and through a public explanation at a pre-tourney meeting last year that a co-angler is free to offer any information that he or she did not receive from A PRO they fished with previous days of that tourney. In other words the first day there are no restrictions. Beyond that if it is something you found on your own it is still fair game.

Then it is the pro's call to decide whether to use it or not. You will
find more than one pro in the RCL that will listen to what you have to say and glean from it what their experience,(most have a lot of experience ), tells them is of value. I have been fishing more than 45 years, and I would be lying if I said I didn't learn a lot of things each day out with different PROs. Some things to do, some things never to do.

I really think the way to approach this situation is to listen and learn, by asking questions and only offering when it is the only obvious thing to do. I charge $200 a day for a guide trip for one over here in Wisconsin. I or anyone can enter an RCL event as a co-angler for $500. That means in the worst scenario it only cost me $50. more a day, I get to meet and great some of the best, have a nice meal, learn new water and tactics from someone else. Then if I finish in the top fifty (50) I get my entry back, and top 20 only gets better. First place is fantastic. If I get a shot at the big money at the championship hey well you see the picture.

Yes I know there are motels and meals and Gas money for the PRO, but
most of my guide customers stay in a motel and tip so it all evens out. If you want an even more incredible deal check out the RCL League, Or if you like the Bass thing the BFL.... both $75 for a co-angler. Unbelievable.

So I guess what I'm saying is if the Pro uses legal info you offer great and if not you still get a great deal and new info. If it just doesn't seem right, and you can't stand the luck of the draw thing, then the only way to go is PRO.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:00 AM
Charter Member

Great answer and right from first hand experience...thank you!
Steve Fellegy #49
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about the things that matter. MLK
sf1954@embarqmail.com or 651-270-3383 cell#
Old 01-19-2004, 06:00 AM
Charter Member

Great answer and right from first hand experience...thank you!
Steve Fellegy #49
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about the things that matter. MLK
sf1954@embarqmail.com or 651-270-3383 cell#