Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Why the dislike(Hate?) for hydrofoils? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 07-28-2011, 09:19 AM
Wallhanger

Default Why the dislike(Hate?) for hydrofoils?

I read a post and someone mentions they have put a foil on and are quite happy or they are thinking about one, and they are swamped with anti-foil posts. However it seems to me the majority of the posts the only reason given is they make the boat look ugly.

Are they not designed for performance enhancement to your boat? If someone says they put a jack plate on- the responses are immediate, how much speed did you gain, did it it improve your handling, etc. Is this not performance enhancements? What is the difference? What if the outboard manufacturers started making optional sizes of the cavitation plates to gain performance? Would that be acceptable because it comes from the manufacturer and not an after-market company?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2011, 09:23 AM
Wallhanger

Because they are UGLY. I hate the looks of the hydrofoil on my boat, but I can't argue with the results.

IMHO hydrofoils are a "bandaid fix". They seem to cover up a problem instead of addressing it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6194.jpg
Views:	641
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	11042   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6197.jpg
Views:	641
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	11043   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6196.jpg
Views:	618
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	11044  

Last edited by Wade B AKA: Ruger2506; 07-28-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:25 AM
Wallhanger

I have a strong suspicion that some of these boats are under propped and under powered. Thanks the the USCG and their conservative HP ratings.
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2011, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Ozark,
The thing about Foils is that they come with a mixed bag so to speak.
The use of a foil may or may not help a give rig.
The comment about using foils on overweight and or underpowered boats is right on.

In many cases, if the boat has max power on it; there is a none issue with the hull and motor.

However, lose 30% of the boats power, then the need may arise to get help on hole shot and or other performance issues.

One big thing that many folks aren't aware of, is that there is often a very simple and easy fix for boats performance issues that don't intrude on the boats performance or appearance so much.

In many cases the addition of a 2 inch wide trim tab that is placed on each side of the transom will do a better and more effective job to correct performance issues; compared to foils.

The other big issue with foils, is that in spite of the advertising claims, virtually every foil on the market will cost top end performance on the rig.

The reason is simple, if the foil is in the water when the boat is running wide open, it is causing drag and is slowing the boat.

So, as has been also posted many times before; if the boat has a performance issue that is caused by the hull; if possible fix the hull to correct the issue.

If the performance problem is caused by an underpowered motor, get a bigger motor, or go with a variable and adjustable trim tab; like the Bennett.

The adjustable trim tabs can be trimmed down for specific conditions, but if maximum performance of a rig is needed, can be trimmed up and out of the way, so that they are not even touching the water.

Another thing that a lot of boaters don't realize is that trim tabs can help virtually all boats at some point in their operating curve.

For example, how many boats do you see that when they take off have their bow so high that the operator can not see over the bow of the boat without standing up. With trim tabs the fully deployed trim tab will completely eliminate bow rise during acceleration.

How many times, would you like to be able to stay on plane at 13 mph, but need to get to 20 mph, before the boat stays on plane. Very nice if working rough water and don't want to hammer yourself to death by driving so fast over big and breaking waves. Trim tabs will allow you to do that.

How many times, would you like to simply flat out fly, but still have the low speed help that is afforded by trim tabs. Fully adjustable trim tabs can do that.

How many times do you have a load on one side of your boat that causes your boat to list badly and are not in a position to move the weight causing the list. Independently adjustable trim tabs will level the boat.

So, do foils work. Yes - for some conditions and for some boats.
Do foils hurt top end performance. Yes, as far as I can tell, without exception.

Good luck
REW
Old 07-28-2011, 11:46 AM
Wallhanger

REW, here a post I put on IDO regarding my rig and the Se 300 Sport Hydrofoil.

Quote:
Water Temp: 77.7*
Air Temp: 84*
Back gas tank 1/4 full (6-8 gallons), Front gas tank 3/4 full (approx 15 gallons).
Back livewell and back baitwell filled with water.
Prop: 19p Reliance (13.75" Diameter)
Outboard Mount: 2nd hole from the top.

I put the boat in the water and got baseline data without the hydrofoil. Then pulled the boat out, installed the hydrofoil in the parking lot and put the boat back in and got data with hydrofoil on.

To assess time to plane (Hole Shot) I tried to use a level so I could quantify when I was on plane. That didn't work so I had to decide when the boat felt to be on plane. I did my best to determine the same point where I felt the boat was on plane.

Hole Shot:
without Hydrofoil: 12.06 sec
with Hydrofoil: 8.68 sec

Top Speed:
without Hydrofoil: 46.7 MPH (AGAINST CURRENT), 47.6 MPH (WITH CURRENT)
with Hydrofoil: 46.3 MPH (AGAINST CURRENT), 47.1 MPH (WITH CURRENT)

Lowest speed before boat falls off plane:
Without Hydrofoil 19-20 MPH
With Hydrofoil 17-18 MPH

Hopefully this helps answer some of the questions for your guys with WX1850s.
The hydrofoil appeared to resolve some of the porpoising issues that I perceive to be experiencing.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:58 AM
Wallhanger

Nice info REW. Spot on for all the reasons to use tabs or 'foils.

I was blown away when I saw Gambler boats using tabs. They are a high performance bass boat maker. Really, on a high speed bass boat?? They are very firm in their beliefs that having them on their boats has many advantages. Being able to stay on plane at lower speeds. Keeping the bow down when accelerating in skinny water. I think the quote is "I've got the fastest and slowest boat" on their website.

I think many are intimidated by the idea of mounting these on their boats. I did use a set on my previous Crestliner, that was underpowered for heavy loads. They work as advertised, and solved the listing to the port side I was experiencing. For that boat, it was much cheaper than buying a new motor. That boat wasn't rated for anything over 140 HP anyways.

If you've tried every setup and load configuration, then one of these might help. Tabs being "better" because of being able to deploy them or stow them out of the way.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:18 PM
Keeper

Default Not sure ....

I guess there is a time and place for just about everything. I just put a foil on my boat after trying several props and engie hieghts with little gains in hole shot getting on plane. I can't wait to get it in the water to see how the boat reacts.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:05 PM
Wallhanger

Default se 300

I guess it gives the impression of an underpowered boat when I see one, all though I installed one on my trophy 190, really helps with low speed water sports like wakeboarding, really helped the lab have something to step onto to get into the boat also LOL..... really a inexpensive way to help low speed planing and hole shot
Old 07-28-2011, 03:02 PM
Keeper

I actually think it looks good, I would not run the boat without it, tried all the different mounting heights and it made no difference, put weight in the front and still no go, put on the hydrafoil and its a new boat, planes quick and planes down to 12mph and took no top speed away Best $69.00 ever spent. All the bow control i need.

Last edited by Superfishman186; 08-23-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:07 PM
Wallhanger

Default Adding a foil....

...on my Starcraft SF176 w/150 Opti reduced minimum planing speed from 23 mph to 17 mph with foil. Top speed went up with foil by roughly 1 mph since it tended to reduce chine walk above 55 mph making the boat easier to drive at high speeds. Thus, I love the foil on my boat and could care less how it looks. If any of you ever attend a boat drag race competition you'll find that virtually all conventional style hulls run foils, anything from a plain old SE 300 to custom metal foils made by the boat manufacturers and various race boat shops.

I have a simple rule to figure out if a rig could be improved with a foil- if you start to porpoise if running more than a slight amount of positive trim....then you can expect improvements with a foil. All of these comments also apply to tabs, but many alum boats don't have adequate wood in the transom at the point where the tabs would mount, and in some cases you can't even get mounting bolts in without pulling the built in gas tank.
Doug