Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Worms in Canada due to early spring - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 04-04-2012, 09:27 AM
Illinois Rip

Default Worm bedding

What is the law about the approved bedding to have crawlers in when crossing the border?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012, 10:24 AM
Keeper

I can't speak for the others, but that's not exactly what I'm saying. I'm saying I think minnows work well anytime. They are also very expensive, and in warmer weather they are more of a hassle to deal with. Crawlers are also very effective much of the time, often as effective as minnows, and a lot easier to deal with.

We use a half or even a third if they're big and the bite is aggresive, hooked once toward the end on a jig/twister.

I've never had water temp info available up there so I can't help you with a temperature cut-off point. The year we really needed minnows was I believe 2009, and it was cold. Below freezing every night and highs in the low 40's kind of cold..... Catching lake trout while walleye fishing in 12 fow cold.... left the original ice in the cooler all week kind of cold......
Old 04-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Wallhanger

Default No dirt allowed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois Rip View Post
What is the law about the approved bedding to have crawlers in when crossing the border?
You can bring worms across the border, just not in dirt, just worm bedding. Most places along the border will have worms in bedding, if you tell them your going to Canada. Try the search function, or the MNR website. If you plan to buy them locally, ask for bedding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Wallhanger

As WalleyeDave said, any bedding you can buy, just no dirt. If you're going to take a flat of crawlers, or even a half flat, just buy them in bedding, not in dirt. Where I buy mine online the difference in cost between a flat in dirt and a flat in bedding is only $7. Buying a flat in dirt, buying and prepping the bedding, then picking 500 crawlers out of the dirt is a real pain. Not worth the hassle or the $7.

Another option I've used, but not as good as bedding, is to shred newspaper and soak it to use as bedding. It works fine for a limited time, but I found that longer than 5 or 6 days the newspaper gets real icky.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:19 AM
Minnow

I asked a similar question as I am headed to Ontario in May. Somebody provided me with this website - http://www.knutsonlivebait.com/index.html . I am going to order about 1000 worms for my fishing party and a hundred leeches for me. We will take our minnow buckets in case we get desperate and have to buy minnows, but I fully expect us to be happy with worms & leeches. Good luck
Old 04-05-2012, 12:08 PM
Wallhanger

On average how many worms to people get per person for a week in Canada. I'm looking for a general estimate of whats worked for folks. I dont want to go to crazy as I tend to buy more then I need of most things.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:58 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
On average how many worms to people get per person for a week in Canada. I'm looking for a general estimate of whats worked for folks. I dont want to go to crazy as I tend to buy more then I need of most things.
Nathan,

We get a flat of 500 for 8 guys. On average years we have some left but on good years they are all gone without a problem. We also fish minnows and will go through a 100 dozen or so during the week. So 500 Crawlers and 1200 Minnows for the week with 8 guys. We have had weeks when they were all gone the first 4 days.

Mike Kansas
Old 04-05-2012, 09:21 PM
Slot Fish

Osuangler, you can't take leeches into Canada is my understanding. Before you order I'd check into that.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:31 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
For those guys who fish Canada in May do you plan to use worms this year due to the early ice out and warm temps? They say minnows are best in the spring which i would agree with but with the temps and and early ice out could it be time for worms on opening day?
Canada is a big place...where exactly are we talking about?
Old 04-06-2012, 08:02 AM
Keeper

You can't take leeches across the border into Ontario.

For those looking to buy crawlers, if you have a regular stop for licenses, etc once in Canada, you may want to check with them on their crawler prices. I've found they are usually very close to the same and you don't have to worry about border issues or keeping them alive on the long drive if it's hot.

I've been buying at Four Season in Ear Falls for many years, and the price and quality are good. You do need to order in advance.