Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Removing Stickers - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 02-13-2012, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

Default Removing Stickers

I bought a used boat (out of state) and I will changing the registration sticker and numbers. They are well adhered to the boat. I tried warming them up with a hair dryer but since it is still fairly cold that is not working to well to remove them. I spent 1 hour on 1 number so far. I would rather not scrape them off with a razor blade. Anybody got some good ideas? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2012, 06:53 AM
Keeper

I used a heat gun to remove mine but used it on the lowest setting. The old numbers loosened off at the edges and for the most part I was able to just peel them off after being heated up. Also another method that worked for me on my truck decals was WD-40. Spray some over the decal let it sit for a minute and the decal should loosen up.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

I had problems getting mine off also. Tried WD-40, GoGone heat, everything..then my daughter suggested nail polish remover. They came off easily.
HB Helix 12 SI
112Terrova I-pilot
101 Vantage
Noco Genius Battery Chargers
w5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2012, 07:15 AM
Keeper

I would think that nail polish remover might take paint off also if you're not careful. WD-40 worked like a charm for mine for some reason. I guess it all depends on the adhesive.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:33 AM
Wallhanger

Heat gun. Hair dryer doesn't get hot enough. Just don't get the paint too hot. Once the sticker/decal gets soft back off with the heat and start to peel. Add some more heat, peel, add some more heat, peel etc. Any glue left over should come off with wd40.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munshaw View Post
I would think that nail polish remover might take paint off also if you're not careful. WD-40 worked like a charm for mine for some reason. I guess it all depends on the adhesive.
I was not careful. Poured it on like water. Used it on a red '07 Lund. Wish I would have used it sooner as I made a few scape marks on the paint with a plastic scraper trying with a heat gun.
HB Helix 12 SI
112Terrova I-pilot
101 Vantage
Noco Genius Battery Chargers
w5
Old 02-13-2012, 11:17 AM
Wallhanger

I just went through this in an unheated garage.

Use a heat gun on a low setting and soft plastic edge like a credit card. If you get the glue warm enough, the vinyl part of the sticker will start to come off. Then you are left with the sticky residue.

I used goo gone on a old sock. Lots of goo gone. Then rub, then goo gone, then rub. Pretty soon the goo gone gets under the glue and it starts coming off real easy. But the trick is to just keep putting goo gone on the sock and keep rubbing. It will seem hopeless for a the first few minutes but then it's like magic and pretty soon it just wipes off.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:29 AM
Wallhanger

I picked up a boat last fall from MN, and I live in WI. So, I used a heat gun and "goof off", 1st side took 10 minutes, 2nd side took 2.5 hours, about 10-15 minutes per letter/number. I did not change what I was doing, the letter/numbers were the same. All I can think of is the strip came from separate batches on the glue or something. It was horridly frustrating and annoying, after I had felt success on the other side...
Old 02-13-2012, 03:27 PM
Wallhanger

I've used a razor blade to get sticker off my glass boat. Have to be slow and careful. Then WD 40 for the remaning glue.