Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
info on oil change's - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 04-03-2010, 08:50 AM
joel

Default oil

very well said about oil just use the weight it calls for i've always run mobil 1 and always will,somtimes walmart has it on sale for $22 a gal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2010, 09:38 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by went522 View Post
Ignorance?? Really??

First off, there is no warranty issue nor will there be by running a standard oil. Your waranty comment is nothing more than a scare tactic. I've spoke with Yamaha techs, there will be no warranty issue by running pennzoil, mobile one, sierra...etc. If it meets requirments, it's fine as far as Yamaha is concerned.

Read the link...oh the marine oil you push rated one of the worst, yes, Yamaha Marine oil. Wonder why I run Pennzoil 10/30...it rates overall one of the best and is near the top of the list for corrosion protection. This isn't the only oil shootout thats been done, others mirror the results in this shootout! In each and every comparison that I've seen, Pennzoil and Mobile 1 rate very high for wear protection, corrosion protection and anti foam...better than your marine rated oil!!

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/ref...dukeOfOil.html

There was another outboard oil shootout in B&W magazine...same/similiar results. There was another one done, can't remember where but it also showed Pennzoil and Mobile one as a couple of the best overall oils one can use in a 4 stroke outboard. Did I mention a couple of your$$$$$$$$$$ marine rated oils scored worse than standard oils??

Yes...Myth perpetuated! And Ignorance?? Kind of like calling the pot calling kettle back isn't it??

BIRDDOG
Are you suggesting that we not use the marine rates lubircants that most manufacturers recommend? I just left the Yamaha web site, including reviewing the owner's manual for the F150. They are rather clear that you need to use a marine rated lubricant. I didn't see any push to use their own product, just one that meets the recommended specifications.

The oil test you posted the link to is so old that it does not include any FC-W certified lubricants. It is likely that his results and recommendations would be drastically different today.

Seems to me that the real myth is thinking that using an oil designed for our automobiles is the best choice for 4-stroke outboards. Doing so may still void your warranty in the event of an engine failure that could have been caused by the oil.

Last edited by SteveJ; 04-03-2010 at 03:14 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
Are you suggesting that we not use the marine rates lubircants that most manufacturers recommend? I just left the Yamaha web site, including reviewing the owner's manual for the F150. They are rather clear that you need to use a marine rated lubricant. I didn't see any push to use their own product, just one that meets the recommended specifications.

The oil test you posted the link to is so old that it does not include any FC-W certified lubricants. It is likely that his results and recommendations would be drastically different today.

Seems to me that the real myth is thinking that using an oil designed for our automobiles is the best choice for 4-stroke outboards. Doing so may will void your warranty in the event of an engine failure that could have been caused by the oil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
They are rather clear that you need to use a marine rated lubricant.

Seems to me that the real myth is thinking that using an oil designed for our automobiles is the best choice for 4-stroke outboards. Doing so may will void your warranty in the event of an engine failure that could have been caused by the oil.
If the owners manual you read was for 2006 and up yamaha F150? I couldn't find a 2010? Maybe the newer motors require a FC-W but I doubt it.

But, this is from that 06 and up F150 manual...

It Says...and I quote, "Recommended engine oil: Yamalube 4-M FC-W...OR...4 stroke motor oil with a combination of the following SAE and API oil classifications.

Engine oil type SAE: 10W-30 or 10W-40

Engine oil grade API: SE, SF, SG, SH, SJ, SL"

No where are they "rather clear that you need to use marine rated lube". Not sure what you read???

Where are you guys coming up with warranty not being honored if you don't use FC-W oil?? I've had lengthy conversations with techs both over the telephone and on site event trailers...your comments are FALSE! As long as the oil meets standards it's fine. In these conversations with Yamaha Techs I specifically asked the oil questions...I also asked what would constitute a warranty claim to be denied. His reply was...using the wrong oil or if the motor was run at RPM's over max for extended periods of time or abuse. He stated warranty claim denial is very rare and the only ones he could recall were from racers that tweak/alter their engines and consistently run them over max RPM. He also said he couldn't recall a warranty denial because of oil.

Rumors you guys are spreading about warranty claims being denied is wrong. How can they deny a warranty claim becuase of oil if your using the recommended oil? After all, a standard SAE 10W-30 IS A RECOMMENDED OIL, at least for the Yamaha F150 it is.

I'm not saying a standard oil is that much better, I'm also not saying a FC-W is worse. What I'm saying is you can the same protection, and in some cases better protection at a fraction of the cost. And to this point I havn't seen any other oil comparisons that dismiss the fact that some of the standard oils are just as good. Really, they'll all, as long as they meet requirements give adequate protection. In this case, more expensive isn't always better.

BIRDDOG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2010, 03:12 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
If the owners manual you read was for 2006 and up yamaha F150? I couldn't find a 2010? Maybe the newer motors require a FC-W but I doubt it.

But, this is from that 06 and up F150 manual...

It Says...and I quote, "Recommended engine oil: Yamalube 4-M FC-W...OR...4 stroke motor oil with a combination of the following SAE and API oil classifications.

Engine oil type SAE: 10W-30 or 10W-40

Engine oil grade API: SE, SF, SG, SH, SJ, SL"

No where are they "rather clear that you need to use marine rated lube". Not sure what you read???

BIRDDOG
Maybe I read to much into Yamaha's wording, but they reference the marine application with their own oil which is Yamalube 4-M FC-W. Maybe they only recommend a marine lubricant if it is their own, but that seems a little odd. I wouildn't throw caution aside at the cost of today's outboards.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:29 PM
Slot Fish

I was looking for some info on the Yamaha web site and ran across this Q&A in the Service and Maintenance FAQ section:

Question

May I use Automotive Oils in my four-stroke Yamaha Outboard?

Answer

No. Automotive oils are not designed for the operating conditions four-stroke outboard motors face, particularly moisture, cooler operating temperatures, and extended full-throttle operation under load. Oils for your car do not contain, for example, sufficient quantities of the superior rust and corrosion-resistant additives found in quality FC-W™ oil. Oil with the FC-W™ rating from the NMMA® has been specifically formulated for the tough marine environment. Yamalube®
4-M FC-W™ meets or exceeds all FC-W™ requirements.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard...0/25/home.aspx
Old 04-04-2010, 03:43 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by billro View Post
I was looking for some info on the Yamaha web site and ran across this Q&A in the Service and Maintenance FAQ section:

Question

May I use Automotive Oils in my four-stroke Yamaha Outboard?

Answer

No. Automotive oils are not designed for the operating conditions four-stroke outboard motors face, particularly moisture, cooler operating temperatures, and extended full-throttle operation under load. Oils for your car do not contain, for example, sufficient quantities of the superior rust and corrosion-resistant additives found in quality FC-W™ oil. Oil with the FC-W™ rating from the NMMA® has been specifically formulated for the tough marine environment. Yamalube®
4-M FC-W™ meets or exceeds all FC-W™ requirements.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard...0/25/home.aspx
That's interesting isn't it! Owners manual says FC-W or standard oil is recommended.

Q+A say's a firm NO, standard oil can't be used. That goes against the manual which recommends either...unless that reply is written pertaining to motors after 2006?

??????????????

Is it posssible the new motors require a FC-W, if someone has a new Yamaha manual handy I'd be interested in hearing what it says.

BIRDDOG
Old 04-04-2010, 03:55 PM
Slot Fish

Here it is from my F250 2009 manual: "Engine Oil Requirements: Yamalube 4-M FC-W oil or 4-stroke motor oil with a combination of the following SAE and API oil classifications
Engine oil type SAE
10W30 or 10W40
Engine oil grade API:
SE, SF, SG, SH, SJ, SL
BR
Old 04-04-2010, 04:08 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
That's interesting isn't it! Owners manual says FC-W or standard oil is recommended.

Q+A say's a firm NO, standard oil can't be used. That goes against the manual which recommends either...unless that reply is written pertaining to motors after 2006?

??????????????

Is it posssible the new motors require a FC-W, if someone has a new Yamaha manual handy I'd be interested in hearing what it says.

BIRDDOG
I am looking at the online F150 manual. On page 49, which is the specifications page, Yamaha says:

Recomended engine oil: 4-stroke outboard motor oil
Engine oil grade API: API SE, SF, SG, SH, SJ or SL
Engine oil type SAE: SAE10W30 or SAE 10W40

They contradict that on page 9, where they appear to be somewhat less restrictive and leave out "outboard" from the description. The same is true in the manual for the F200.

That may well mean they would have to honor a oil based warranty claim if he oil used didn't meet the FC-W specifications. I wouldn't want to gamble. There is definately a difference in the lubrication needs of automotive oil and 4-stroke outboard oil.