Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Electric Boat Winch - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 01-03-2012, 10:40 AM
Minnow

Default Electric Boat Winch

Hello

Does anyone use an electric winch on their trailer? I am using a Powerwinch AP1500 to winch up my boat up on a trailer with rollers. The boat weighs about about 2.500lbs. I go through a gear or bearing every year. Unfortunately, you have to purchase an entire bearing/gear kit to replace one part which is about 50% of the purchase price of the winch!

I believe it may be the free wheel out feature that eats up the gears or maybe the boat is too heavy for the winch although the rating says 15.000 roller pull.

Can anyone recommend a very reliable boat winch that could easily handle my boat's weight? I am not going to skimp on this because I don't want to get stuck again on some remote mountain lake at 11:00 pm. I've had breakdowns on other occasions, some of them nervous, as a result of all this.

I couldn't find much on the forum which is why I am posting this.

Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2012, 06:28 PM
Keeper

Default Power winch

I have the Powerwinch 912 to pull my Lund 1890 Pro V on a roller trailer. This model works great for my boat, probably a lot more winch then needed but I do not have any issues and I also use a lot of out of the way so called ramps. The extra power comes in very handy at times.

http://www.powerwinch.com/powerwinch...oduct&c=15&p=8
Old 01-03-2012, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveyron View Post
Hello

Does anyone use an electric winch on their trailer? I am using a Powerwinch AP1500 to winch up my boat up on a trailer with rollers. The boat weighs about about 2.500lbs. I go through a gear or bearing every year. Unfortunately, you have to purchase an entire bearing/gear kit to replace one part which is about 50% of the purchase price of the winch!

I believe it may be the free wheel out feature that eats up the gears or maybe the boat is too heavy for the winch although the rating says 15.000 roller pull.

Can anyone recommend a very reliable boat winch that could easily handle my boat's weight? I am not going to skimp on this because I don't want to get stuck again on some remote mountain lake at 11:00 pm. I've had breakdowns on other occasions, some of them nervous, as a result of all this.

I couldn't find much on the forum which is why I am posting this.

Thanks for any advice.
This is my thread from a little while back. The winch is excellent, pulls my boat onto my bunk trailer like its a toy.

https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums...electric+winch

Dad shot the little fellow.

Mary had a little pig.
Her father shot it dead.
Now it goes to school with her,
Between two hunks of bread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2012, 03:45 AM
Minnow

Interesting you can actually pull the boat up onto a bunk trailer. In adition it sounds like your boats are a lot heavier than mine?

Do you know FinsandFeet if the 912 is more powerful than an AP1500? I can't tell on the documentation Powerwich posts on the internet.

I lke the idea of the power out feature of perchjerker's winch.

I definitely need to be assured that what I am getting is more powerful than the AP1500.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:48 PM
Keeper

The first link is to the AP1500 with the specs and the second to the 912. I think the 912 blows the AP1500 away. The 912 pulls my lund up with no issues and I have been on some very steep ramps at low tide.It doesn't have the power out but the clutch knob does a nice job of letting the boat off slow enough to control. The power off seems like a nice feature but for me I have never needed it. The winch PerchJerker posted looks like it is even stronger then the 912. I feel confident the 912 can handle your boat with no issues but if money is not a concern I would give a good look to the winch PJ posted. Good luck.

http://www.powerwinch.com/powerwinch...oduct&c=5&p=27

http://www.powerwinch.com/powerwinch...oduct&c=15&p=8

Last edited by FinsNFeet; 01-05-2012 at 06:58 PM.