Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Anyone ever use plastic like boards instead of wood boards for bunks? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 08-26-2011, 10:53 PM
Wallhanger

Default Anyone ever use plastic like boards instead of wood boards for bunks?

Considering using the plastic like boards that is usually used for decking or whatever instead of wood so it lasts longer. Any pros or cons?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2011, 11:02 PM
Wallhanger

Take a look at Ultimate Bunk Boards. I bought them to replace the original bunks on my ShoreLandr last summer and couldn't be happier.

http://www.ultimatebunkboards.com/
Old 08-27-2011, 07:12 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayM5209 View Post
Take a look at Ultimate Bunk Boards. I bought them to replace the original bunks on my ShoreLandr last summer and couldn't be happier.

http://www.ultimatebunkboards.com/
You can use them as is? No need for carpet? Or should you still carpet them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2011, 07:24 AM
Wallhanger

That ultimate bunk boards looks real interesting I may have to get those as it can be sometimes tough to launch my 1800 explorer without backing the truck in far with the current carpeted bunks. . Anyone else using these boards?
Old 08-27-2011, 07:45 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG View Post
You can use them as is? No need for carpet? Or should you still carpet them?
As is, no carpet. They're designed to be used that way. I have an aluminum boat so can't relate any experience with a glass hull. They install easily. Just like wood - drill for screws or bolts, depending on your application - mount the boards and you're ready to go without the carpet hassle.

If you type "Ultimate Bunk Boards" in the Search function for this forum it will get you to previous discussions about this product.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:51 AM
Slot Fish

I have the ultimate boards under a Pro-V and really like them. One caution do not unhook bow from winch till ready to launch in water. they are a lot more slipery.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Lund,
You can use the plastic deck boards for bunks, but if you do; you will likely need to run an aluminum stiffner on the back side of the boards.
Most of these deck boards don't have the structural stiffness of Lumber.
So, if you do want to go with the plastic deck board, and if you didn't want to run a stiffner brace on the back; I would at least use double thickness to add to the rigidity of the boards.

Generally speaking these boards are designed to be mounted on decks with at least 16 inch joist support.

If you want to use just a single board, then pick up a 2X2 aluminum T brace.

Good luck
REW
Old 08-27-2011, 05:25 PM
Wallhanger

I replaced my wood boards on my Shoreland'r with Ultimate Bunk boards about 6-7 years ago. I did not need any additional hardware etc. A one-for-one replacement. They screw/bolt in just like you'd do with wood. They're still there, don't say or bow, and are great. Some resins are engineered to be "stiffer" than others when extruded. Loading is easier, unloading, like mentioned, is "slick". After I unhook the winch strap and chain, a simple one handed push and and off the boat goes. They get a full endorsement from me.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:50 PM
Keeper

Default Bunks

My fishing buddy has them on his 17 ' Crestliner/Shorelander trailer. Ater about a year they have a big bow between the trailer supports. So, I think the suggestion about usin some type of stiffener is a good one.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

Put something like this on the underside of the plastic deck boards, and you will have a nice set of solid deck board bunks for your rig:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6061-T6-Alum...item53e467a5ea