Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
location choices - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 09-02-2013, 07:19 PM
Minnow

Default location choices

I just picked up a 3 bank 20 amp on board charger from Cabela's. It is built by ProMariner? My question is about mounting. Can i have it in one of the compartments or would it be better if it was mounted more in the open air. Might seem like a silly question, but it says it is fully watertight for both fresh and saltwater. I have 2000 Crestliner 1750 Side console boat. I would like to be able to keep as much space in the compartments usable as possible so mounting it on the front panel of the boat seems like a good location. I'm thinking i can remake the panel out of a plastic and laminate some stainless to it. I have attached a picture of the panel i am talking about and would appreciate some opinions from owners of these on-board chargers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front console (Medium).jpg
Views:	155
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	49633  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2013, 07:28 PM
Wallhanger

My take with on board chargers is out of sight out of mind!! Tuck it into a storage compartment out of the way, no way I would want it surface mounted in the bow.
MinnKota Terrova 80 w/iPilot Link
Humminbird Helix 10 G2N, 998HD Si, 959HD

Towed with: 2015 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Laramie CrewCab 6'4" Rambox 4x4.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:47 AM
Slot Fish

Default Charger

Don't mount it up font where it's bound to get hit, kicked or something else. Mount it in an area out of the way preferably where there is ventilation to keep it as cool as possible although it doesn't have to be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2013, 10:03 AM
Wallhanger

On my Lund ProGuide it is in front Rod locker under where rods are. Works for me. When plugged in I have hatch open.

Paul
Old 09-03-2013, 07:24 PM
Minnow

Default follow up

I spoke with a tech at Pro Marine today. They say that the units get hot. Not so much that you can't touch them, but hot enough that you couldn't carry them. While they are careful not to give out any degree they will fail, I know from job experience that 125/130 degrees is enough to make microprocessor things fail on equipment i service. They also said the unit is very waterproof, but won't last long if it is submerged. That being said, I am going to build a compartment that will sit under the front were the current fake console is and relocate my trolling motor plug-in along with my bow mounted trim/tilt switch. This will give me a easy view of the charger and have it out from under foot as well as out of the rain. I'll post pictures when i get it done. Fall fishing coming up, my favorite time of the year.