Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Comparisons - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 05-15-2012, 09:19 PM
Icedog

Default Comparisons

So I am looking at an Ranger 619 or 620 that is 2003 to 2005 because the price of those used is getting to be more in my range. But I could swing the payment on a new 1850 reatta or 1860 angler as well, but the payments would go on for more years.

Give me some insight on what you value more. Do you like new warranties, technology, etc and pay the price over a longer time frame or do you want potentially "more boat" but older technology and the possible hassles of a used boat, but for less money??

If you look at a new 1860 angler being 8 inches shorter but 6 inches wider (than the older 619's), there isn't that much difference in actual size of these two.

Let me know what you think. Thanks,

Icedog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012, 06:10 AM
Wallhanger

Depends on what you want to do with the boat? I went from an older 02' 619 to my 08' 1850 Reata. Mostly because of the family factor. I can sit all the kids safely and comfortably, there is a lot more cockpit room in the Reata than the older 619, huge difference there. The 619 is a bigger heavier boat, so if you are out in bigger water a lot, I think it will have an advantage there. Technology wise, the motors shouldn't be a lot different depending on what motors you get? You should still be able to get into the DI 2 strokes or any 4 stroke. You can update electronics on the old boat if you want? I guess it comes down to your style of fishing? If you are all about fishing and don't have to worry about family fun or a lot of passengers maybe the 619 is better? For the price of a brand new Angler or Reata you could find an 07' 619 with the new body style, wider, batteries in the floor, etc....and a little bit newer stuff on it. Message me if you have any other questions?
Old 05-16-2012, 08:42 AM
Wallhanger

Default Same "Boat"

I am in the same "boat". Buy a used 620 with older motor, electronics, trolling motors etc. or a new 1860 with all the latest and greatest options and colors that I can choose. After thinking long and hard I have decided to order a new 1860 in the fall. I am very picky, and know what I want, and have been looking a long time for a used boat and have yet to find one that meets my needs. I know that I would not be satisfied with spending that kind of money and not having exactly what I want. If I did buy used, I would end up spending a ton of extra money getting the electronics, trolling motors and other options up to the level that I would like. Would I love a 620, of course, but that will have to wait until my next boat. For the kind of fishing I do and lakes I fish the 1860 will more than meet my needs, and getting exactly what I want is more important to me than getting a little more boat. The warranty on a new 1860 doesn't hurt either!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012, 10:45 AM
Icedog

Default Decisions

Good points from both of you. I do have kids that like to be pulled on the tube. I am concerned with the storage shape of the 619 that it will feel cramped in the cockpit area. But I do fish often and do a ton of casting so I like tha big casting deck on the 619/620.

BW how was the ride of your older 619 compared to your reata? Did you spear waves? I know the complaint is at trolling speeds and taking a wave wrong (two footer or so) will break over the bow and get the boat very wet. I have witnessed this in a 620 once. I am putting an I pilot on no matter what I get so I fear the steady movement of an autopilot into waves rather than speeding up with foot control type motor could be an issue when trolling. Did you find this to be a problem??

Icedog
Old 05-16-2012, 03:06 PM
Wallhanger

I guess I am not the type to troll into that big of waves, so no I don't think either boat was that big of a problem. The 619 is gonna handle bigger water better due to length and the hull type. For family purposes, there is no doubt, hands down that the Reata wins that one. I would sit in both and see how they feel to you layout wise? The angler has a little bit bigger front deck than the Reata and the raised rod locker, but you lose the jump seats, ski pole, front storage and side rod locker the Reata has. Also, the rear compartments under the jump seats are larger than the rear storage in an angler. I was worried about storage going from a 619 to the 1850, but was able to fit all my gear in this boat just fine.

I have heard of the wave spearing thing before and can see that it may happen trolling into very large waves. Just not my style so hopefully someone else can chime in?
Old 05-17-2012, 10:21 AM
Wallhanger

Consider how much more fishing, or how much farther away you can fish without a payment.

To me technology available will help you catch more fish WAY more than a new boat.

Faced with a new boat with bottom line accessories and electronics or an old boat with top of the line stuff I'll take the older boat.

I'll be happy as can be with my 17' deep V from 78' once I get two 898's, a Talon, a hydrowave, Terrova w/I pilot etc.

So since you don't need a new boat to catch more fish, the decision comes down to preference of boat. They payments stink whether 6 years or 12 years. In my opinion.