Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Bear Trail Lodge Closure - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 08-05-2012, 02:58 PM
Minnow

Default Bear Trail Lodge Closure

Hello everyone,
I found this site while trying to find info about bear trail lodge closing down. Here is the link I found. https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=198065

Well, It appears they were responding to people then. I have now been trying to get in touch with them and they refuse to call me back, or respond to my email. I was set to go up there next week, and I was making a final confirmation to make sure everything went smooth. For the last month I could not get in touch with them. I called Bobby's Corner in Vermilion bay, and a local guide I have used for years. They confirmed they are closed and have been selling equipment as early as last fall.

If anyone has any contact info, or knows more info how to possibly get some of their money back it would be appreciated. I am in the process of filing mail fraud charges with the postal inspector and the police.

Thanks,

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2012, 05:29 PM
Keeper

Good luck. I expect they will shut this thread down...kind of a sensitive topic. As someone with no stake in the matter, I observed a lot of people who posted about not knowing what the heck was going on with Bear Trail. Bear Trail posted nothing on their website nor did they put any notice on their answering machine greeting. Threads would get heated with people worrying about their reservations, questioning the operation, then the owner would come on to post that they were handling everything as best they could (apparently they were out of electricity for a long while). The Bear Trail owner assured WC that those with reservations would be transferred to nearby lodges and that deposits would not be lost.

I don't know the particulars, but I do know that Bear Trail did a poor job of communication throughout this deal. By their radio silence, they allowed Internet rumors to control the message.

I hope you are accomodated with your trip and don't lose money. Good luck!
Old 08-05-2012, 06:20 PM
Minnow

Magoo,
I hope that you can find accomidations for your trip. I know from reading about this that Bear Trail Lodge had been in contact with Birchdale Lodge to accept their clients due to their closure. If not I truly hope that you will receive a full refund from Bear Trail Lodge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2012, 06:21 PM
Wallhanger

Magoo79 I sent you a PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:00 PM
Minnow

I contacted birchdale lodge, as I read about bear trail sending clients to them from another thread. When i did contact them I discussed with them about my vacation issue. Birchdale said that they were getting reservations from beartrail but they haven't been able to contact them like they fell off the face of the earth. The last reservation that birchdale had from beartrail ran into some issues. Beartrail never sent the payment for the trip, and the client that went to birchdale had to pay out of pocket to them for the trip. Their only recourse is to get the money back from beartrail to reimburse them for the extra money they had to pay out. I have found 4 possible addresses where they have lived. I'm sure 3 are old addresses, one has to be the current address if a person that was swindled by the owners want them. They just have to PM me and I will provide it.

Thanks,

Mike.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:58 PM
Charter Member

Apparently people are arriving at the closed gate, still unaware.......

Last edited by v-bay gord; 08-06-2012 at 05:33 AM.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:34 AM
Minnow

It is a shame how this was handled. Gas is not cheap, when I calculated the gas for my trip it was 600.00 to get there and back from the Chicago area. THey had everyone's email address, I know for a fact they had mine for sure. How hard would it have been to send out a mass email letting people know ahead of time so they can make alternate plans or to setup some kind of payment plan to get some of their money back. It's bad for those that put a 150.00 deposit down, It's even worse for those that took their prepay special for the free guided day by prepaying for the trip in January, when Casey and Chanda knew they were going to be closing and were already selling their assets off at the resort.

Mike
Old 08-06-2012, 07:37 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo79 View Post
It is a shame how this was handled. Gas is not cheap, when I calculated the gas for my trip it was 600.00 to get there and back from the Chicago area. THey had everyone's email address, I know for a fact they had mine for sure. How hard would it have been to send out a mass email letting people know ahead of time so they can make alternate plans or to setup some kind of payment plan to get some of their money back. It's bad for those that put a 150.00 deposit down, It's even worse for those that took their prepay special for the free guided day by prepaying for the trip in January, when Casey and Chanda knew they were going to be closing and were already selling their assets off at the resort.

Mike
If what you say is true, the only possible reason that they wouldn't proactively reach out to everyone and let them know is that they have no intention of paying.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:55 AM
Minnow

That is exactly what it looks like is happening here. They seem to have taken everyone's money and ran....... for now.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:58 AM
Keeper

They was a lengthy thread about this several weeks ago ..
It was locked and cleaned up (I agree it was getting to long).

Definitely wrong on how things were handle.
It seemed kind of shady the way some guests were accommodate earlier and other have no idea on what is going on.
Or can not get in contact with the owners.

If, I were a registered guest and had been ripped off...
I would be finding legal advice and go after them (If, I could !!)....

Good luck ... I hope all works out for you ..